Linux *BETA* Demo

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
kxc
Initiate

Post by kxc »

I've discovered something. It seems that Live CD version doesn't use GFX drivers. This should cause all of my issues(graphical glitches and performance).
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

viratoxe wrote:Only a minor thing BW, but I am using gcc version 4.1.2 on this PC(Sys2) and gcc version 4.2.2 on the home machine(Sys1). Now, correct me if I am wrong, but gcc is used only when compiling software on a users machine. Eschalon is a pre-compiled(by Blitz) binary when we download it, correct? So in theory gcc shouldn't be called when running the game.
Yes, you are probably correct. Like I said, I am very new to Linux myself and only was repeating what another developer had posted. I will take your word for it and remove that from the dependency list.

Thank you! :)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

per wrote:I noticed that the save files and config file is in a directory called eschalon_b1_saved_games in the users home folder. In my opinion you should follow the standard linux way of storing user specific application data and create a hidden folder, for example .eschalon, where you store these files. That way you don't clutter up the users home folder.
Per, is there a common system path I should use? I am still trying to figure out Linux's file system structure.
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

viratoxe wrote: Macdude22 | Mac OS X | No info | Wait, why is he posting in the Linux forum anyway?
The linux forum keeps me warm.
viratoxe
Initiate

Post by viratoxe »

BW, I think what Per was getting at is that the *path* is just fine...the users home directory like you have it now, but that the directory that you *create* to store that saved games in should be ".eschalon_b1_saved_games" instead of "eschalon_b1_saved_games". The addition of the dot "." in front of the directory name makes it a "hidden" directory. Many Linux applications store their config files and data files in such directories. They are not really "hidden" per se, just not visible when you do an "ls" or "dir" command from the terminal or browse the home directory using a graphical file manager. Of course they can be viewed and accessed as any normal directory if desired by the user.

OH! I didn't realize that you were using a LiveCD to try to play the game Kxc! Wow! I am surprised you even made it run... lol Yeah, no LiveCD...install to hard drive instead... hehehe...
\/iratoxe
Ubuntu -- An African word meaning "Gentoo is too hard for me". ;)
waltshooter
Apprentice

Post by waltshooter »

Per wrote: For those of you who don't know what video card you have:
An easy way of determining your video card is to open a terminal and run "lspci | grep VGA", which should tell you what your video card is. If it doesn't work you can try to run only lspci, and see if one of the lines mention ATI, Nvidia or Intel (or perhaps SiS or Matrox in some rare cases).
This is what I got when I ran that instruction from terminal:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
waltshooter
Apprentice

Post by waltshooter »

RezoApio wrote:waltshooter, can you post the exact location (use the TAB key to get it) so I will try to do the same.

Thanks
The dungeon is x=61, y=13 (or thereabouts)

The ruin is x=7, y=138 (or thereabouts)

I say "thereabouts" because the system crashes before I can get the actual numbers, but those are the last I get before the crash.
vandarin
Pledge

Post by vandarin »

viratoxe suggested I sign up and test this out as well, here are my results:

System Specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2200 @1.8GHz
RAM: 1.5 GB
GFX: NVIDIA GeForce 6200 using the binary drivers
SND: Aureal Vortex

Average Performance readings:
Compiz Fusion Enabled, Full Screen 32-bit: 4-5
Compiz Fusion Enabled, Windowed 32-bit: 5-6
Compiz Fusion Disabled, Full Screen 32-bit: 5-6
Compiz Fusion Disabled, Windowed 32-bit: 3

These were taken at various areas on the first map

Notes:

Works great here - with Compiz enabled and playing fullscreen, there was some tearing while walking, but that is probably a combination of my compiz and sync settings

-one thing I found a little distracting is when exiting the character editor, the music just stops. A fade out like most of the other screens have would be good.

Granted, I haven't played for any great length of time, but so far, everything in game looks wonderful.
viratoxe
Initiate

Post by viratoxe »

Thanks for dropping in Vandarin...more testing is always good! :)

Interesting to note that Compiz didn't affect your performance numbers nearly as much as it did mine. I also noticed some slight tearing, but I am pretty sure that was when I had Compiz running and the game in full screen mode. I am actually using a CVS version of Compiz, so I kind of expect it to not be totally optimized.
\/iratoxe
Ubuntu -- An African word meaning "Gentoo is too hard for me". ;)
Aegon
Pledge

Post by Aegon »

My System Specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200 @2.0GHz
RAM: 1.0 GB
GFX: NVIDIA GeForce 7800GS using the binary drivers
Sound Driver: ALSA v1.0.14 emulation code
Sound Hardware: VIA VT1720/24 [ENVY24PT/HT] (audio controller)
Logitech USB Headset

The beta starts on my system but doesn't produce any sound. However, when I play the sound files from the game individually they play just fine in Amarok.

I also tried downloading Runes of Avalon and the same problem occurs.

BTW, I don't suppose this could be a KDE vs. Gnome issue could it?
Per
Apprentice

Post by Per »

viratoxe wrote:BW, I think what Per was getting at is that the *path* is just fine...the users home directory like you have it now, but that the directory that you *create* to store that saved games in should be ".eschalon_b1_saved_games" instead of "eschalon_b1_saved_games". The addition of the dot "." in front of the directory name makes it a "hidden" directory. Many Linux applications store their config files and data files in such directories. They are not really "hidden" per se, just not visible when you do an "ls" or "dir" command from the terminal or browse the home directory using a graphical file manager. Of course they can be viewed and accessed as any normal directory if desired by the user.
Yes, that was exactly what I meant. But perhaps it would be even better to create a .eschalon folder, and then create individual folders in that folder to store data for the different books. I don't have any reasons why that would be better, but I prefer that way anyway :P
Aegon wrote:The beta starts on my system but doesn't produce any sound. However, when I play the sound files from the game individually they play just fine in Amarok.
Unfortunately it seems like Eschalon don't play nicely with other applications that use sound, so you will have to disable all sound-using things like aRts.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

I don't know how BlitzMax handles sound natively, however I do know that I can have it use OpenAL if I activate the driver at runtime. Does anyone have any experience with OpenAL under Linux and/or think it would help?
Per
Apprentice

Post by Per »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:I don't know how BlitzMax handles sound natively, however I do know that I can have it use OpenAL if I activate the driver at runtime. Does anyone have any experience with OpenAL under Linux and/or think it would help?
From what I can see OpenAL also uses OSS as standard, but it's possible to make it use ALSA by creating a simple config-file. Look at this page under OpenAL: http://sv.wikibooks.org/wiki/SuperTux/Tips_och_tricks . So OpenAL would indeed be preferable instead of OSS that is used now.

Edit: Oops, I just realised that the page I linked to was written in swedish :P But what it says is that you only need to create a .openalrc in your home folder with

Code: Select all

(define devices '(alsa))
(define speaker-num 2)
(define alsa-out-device default)
to make it use ALSA instead.
cicobuff
Initiate

Post by cicobuff »

Downloaded the demo and tried running.
It's working great.

Specs:
Toshiba M200 with ATI HD 2400 Laptop (Asia)

Ubuntu 7.10
Gnome Desktop (Defaulted with Ubuntu)

Both sound and graphics is working well.
For graphics using flgrx drivers (avaliable from AMD/ATI's website)
But I followed Linux gamers recommendation to add the following to my device section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf (only applicable to ATI flgrx drivers)

Section "Device"
Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]"
Driver "fglrx"
Option "UseFastTLS" "2"
EndSection

The line:
Option "UseFastTLS" "2"
is critical for ATI drivers to be used properly.

I'm a Cedega user and found that out from Cedega forums.

Great job with the Linux Port.
Eagerly awaiting the Linux Release. I held off buying the Windows version (getting games to run in Cedega can be frustrating sometimes ={ ).

Keep it up!
Duncan Ferguson
Pledge

Post by Duncan Ferguson »

Hi, new to the forums

I've been playing the demo for an hour or so in Ubuntu 7.10 64 bits. No problems so far with stock nvidia drivers (7600 GT nvidia card), except hot keys not working after a while. When I restart Eschalon, hot keys work again. I'm using windowed mode. Looking forward to get the full game :)

Planning to try the demo with Slackware 12.0 too...