Linux *BETA* Demo

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Aegon
Pledge

Post by Aegon »

Per wrote: Unfortunately it seems like Eschalon don't play nicely with other applications that use sound, so you will have to disable all sound-using things like aRts.
Yikes, I have several dozen processes in my process table and aside from things like aRts, Kaffeine, and Amarok, I'm not sure which of them could be using sound. So far nothing seems to work.
Per
Apprentice

Post by Per »

Aegon wrote:
Per wrote: Unfortunately it seems like Eschalon don't play nicely with other applications that use sound, so you will have to disable all sound-using things like aRts.
Yikes, I have several dozen processes in my process table and aside from things like aRts, Kaffeine, and Amarok, I'm not sure which of them could be using sound. So far nothing seems to work.
Since you use Kubuntu I assume you use kdm as your login manager, which I've never used. But check if there's not a fail-safe session or similar, that starts something other than KDE. That way you can see if it's something in KDE that is causing your problem.
Warhangel
Initiate

Post by Warhangel »

openSUSE 10.3 x86-64 (AMD-ATI x550)
All is ok ("window mode").
In dedicato Imperatum ultra articulo mortis...
Duncan Ferguson
Pledge

Post by Duncan Ferguson »

Slackware 12.0, using 100.14.19 Nvidia drivers and KDE. No problems so far, except that the "purchase game" button doesn't work (it works in Ubuntu under Gnome/firefox)
quamper
Pledge

Post by quamper »

Works great.

Ubuntu 7.04 CompizFusion is on.

AMD 64 3200+
On board audio
Geforce 7600 256mb (using Nvidia driver 100.14.11)
1gb RAM
viratoxe
Initiate

Post by viratoxe »

It's good to see some more "It's working!" posts! :D It seems that the game does indeed work with a fair number of ATI video devices...perhaps the problems reported so far *are* directly tied to driver issues? I never did dig up an ATI card that was new enough to test with unfortunately. Thank you to everyone who is trying this out and reporting in... The more info we gather, the more it helps BW track down problems!
\/iratoxe
Ubuntu -- An African word meaning "Gentoo is too hard for me". ;)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Yep, good job folks. I'll try to get a new version out this weekend. The biggest changes will be a hidden Saved Games folder, a few code tweaks to get non-working functions working, and OpenAL support to see if it increases or decreases compatibility for people.
RezoApio
Marshall

Post by RezoApio »

Great news !!! BW, can you make it an annoucement ? The firt time I miss the beta (for one day ;-)) because it was on a new thread for which I was not inscribed.

I will try to do some more testing with my ATI driver based on some info posted here.

What it seems to me reading this is that NVIDIA is always working even with compizfusion stuff while sometimes ATI is not working especially in combination with fusion.

Will let you know.
Gardez suffisament d'humour pour ne pas perdre l'esprit au nom de la raison.
Ama la realidad que construyes y ni aun la muerte detendra tu paso.
Vadi
Initiate

Post by Vadi »

Shoot, the game crashes after the 'Create new adventure' button.

Here's the terminal output:

Code: Select all

vadi@vadi-laptop:~/Downloads/Eschalon Book I Demo$ ./"Eschalon Book I Demo"
appstub.linux signal handler 11vadi@vadi-laptop:~/Downloads/Eschalon Book I Demo$ 
vadi@vadi-laptop:~/Downloads/Eschalon Book I Demo$
viratoxe
Initiate

Post by viratoxe »

Hi Vadi, can you give us a little information about the machine you are trying to run the game on? (System specs such as CPU, RAM, audio hardware, and most importantly, video hardware.) Also which distribution of Linux are you using?
\/iratoxe
Ubuntu -- An African word meaning "Gentoo is too hard for me". ;)
Vadi
Initiate

Post by Vadi »

It's a ThinkPad T40. 1.5Ghz CPU, 512 RAM, I have no idea about audio hardware, and an ATI Radeon 7500 (hey, I get 1200fps in glxgears!)

Ubuntu 7.10.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Well, your CPU is really not strong enough, and I really doubt your video will be strong enough to run it. According to Wikipedia the Radeon 7500 is based on the R100 chip released in 2000 (nearly 8 years old!). It may be crashing because we start loading a bunch of new images into VRAM once you start the game and you either have 16MB or 32MB of VRAM on that ThinkPad. I'm sure we are using up more than 16MB with all our sprites and GUI.

Either way, I'm sure the game would be painfully (unplayably) slow if you made it to the game world. Sorry!
theidiotthatisme
Initiate

Howdy

Post by theidiotthatisme »

I just discovered this game from a forum at Ubuntuforums, and decided to give it a try. While I've never actually played any old style RPG's before (my oldest is about NWN and Planescape: Torment) it's been a lot of fun so far.

My specs are:

1.7Ghz Pentium M
512MB DDR RAM
Intel Integrated up 128MB
Ubuntu 7.10 - No Compiz-fusion

I know it's very modest, but as I tried running the game in Window mode so far I've had no real setbacks and it seems to run just fine. Performance is around 21-25 for all the places I've been so far (not sure what exactly that means in performance, although by the other posts it seems pretty bad). That's with the detail level at high with 32 bit coloring, and I haven't really noticed any slowdown.

The only thing I've noticed so far is the tiling that was mentioned previously, with the black outline on some of the tiles, but they seem to only appear in water.

Anyways, definitely a great game and will keep testing it out!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

theidiotthatisme: I am 110% sure this is a driver issue since there the exact same tile set and rendering code looks fine on a number of other platforms and video cards. There may be nothing I can do about it.

But I am glad you are enjoying the game. Thanks!
Vadi
Initiate

Post by Vadi »

I thought mine was r200. Anyway, the card has 32mb, and Alien Arena, the TrueCombat elite mod do work okay :? .

Oh well, not a worry.