Linux *BETA* Demo

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
zebob
Pledge

Post by zebob »

Some testing :
- Full screen do not work (appstub.linux signal handler 11)
- 800×600 is just too small for modern computing
- When setting up a character, I can't remove a skill (or I don't find how to do it)
- Using a red cross to symbolize a level up is a strange idea. I thought it was something to heal your character
- Moving the character seems slow when walking in diagonal (I mean NW NE SE and SW)
- You should add tooltip text upon icons to indicate shortcuts (for example Inventory (I) )
- Can't close doors?
- Clicking on the window manager close button just do not terminate the game. I can't see the window but I keep hearing the music. I had to kill the program in gnome-system-monitor.
- 1000xp for the first level up? Damn!

Config : Using Fedora 8, on an Athlon XP 2500+, with 512MB RAM and a Radeon 9600Pro using open source driver radeon (Xorg 7.3). No compiz bling here. Sound was fine using PulseAudio system.
corrupt
Pledge

Hello

Post by corrupt »

I want to say that sound is good, even in 800x600 everything is small(in windowed mode) and you people want bigger resolutions. :wink:
Full screen is working just fine for me.
After camping my sword disappeared (is it a bug?) and I was beaten by some bats.
:(
I have latest(well packaged) linux software and drivers on arch linux. Athlon 3000+, 1024 memory, nvidia geforce 6600gt card.
dimonic
Pledge

Post by dimonic »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:This Linux beta test is very helpful, but also very discouraging. There are two conclusions that I am drawing here:

1) The BlitzMax development language on Linux doesn't appear to be very stable, or...

2) There are so many different variants of Linux out there that properly supporting them all would be prohibitive and probably impossible.
Please don't give up! I have two laptops and it works perfectly on one (nVidia), and crashes with a signal error on the other (older radeon mobility M6). I believe it is entirely due to driver issues and dri.

One issue is to tell people with alsa (most of us) to add oss support (modules snd-mixer-oss and snd-pcm-oss). It seems only games miss oss, so some people may not have it installed.

Revealing on my ATI notebook is the fact that the demo runs the intro properly when I run it as root, then crashes when I select new adventure, whereas it crashes on start when run as a normal user.

It's easy enough to say to everyone: update your system! Make sure you are using the latest video and sound drivers! Maybe for now that is good enough...but my concern is that Eschalon may never be stable enough for wide release on Linux.

Well, please keep testing everyone. Your reports are helping, and maybe we can find some common issues/solutions to put in a Linux-specific support doc (like viratoxe suggested) that would bring us closer to a stable release.
dimonic
Pledge

Post by dimonic »

Ok, so for me the system that will not work is under spec (1.13 GHz Pentium M, integrated ATI Radeon Mobility M6, Debian Etch, 256 MB ram).

I am going to try it on a Compaq with 2.2 GHz and 512 MB ram, ATI Radeon mobility M7, open source dri.

It works, but without sound, in full screen only. If I enable OSS audio, it crashes after the opening video. If I enable openAl, it works, but there is not sound. I can also "play" oss without install the oss modules and it works. So, I am happy, I am playing perforce quietly.

It works well on a Toshiba Qosmio with Centrino 1.8 GHz with discrete nVidia and 512 MB on Debian Edge.