Book II Questions Thread

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
TNoyce
Apprentice

Re: Book II Questions Thread

Post by TNoyce »

I'm glad that you decided to keep Book III single player.

There are a lot of party-based games around. My preference, is single-player.
Tim Noyce
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

This is just one of my 'things'. I don't like it when CRPG's present "armies" that are represented by 10, 20, 25 foes. That's not an army! Naturally I understand that if you have too many animated character on the screen at once it's a drain and slows down slower systems... but this is a streamlined bare-bones game that does not demand high specs . . . and you can always offer an option to establish a maximum of animated characters allowed on-screen at any one time, for slower systems.

If there are any "armies" in Book II, BW, would you consider making them closer representations of actual armies (presented for the game's purpose, that is) so we can see a screen completely filled with a totally indomitable 100 foes? No single hero can take on a whole army (or tribe, for that matter), after all, even if she's Maeve (aka Medb) or he's Cu Chulainn (anyone here familiar with Irish folklore?) . . . so we shouldn't be allowed the opportunity of doing so.

Also... perhaps there should be certain foes . . . or groups of foes . . . who simply cannot be defeated. Like the tribe of giants in Book I, for example. It's ludicrous that it's so easy to defeat a bunch of giants. Each and every one should be a Goliath. They should be extremely powerful.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Grindstone_82
Apprentice

Post by Grindstone_82 »

Evnissyen wrote:If there are any "armies" in Book II, BW, would you consider making them closer representations of actual armies (presented for the game's purpose, that is) so we can see a screen completely filled with a totally indomitable 100 foes? No single hero can take on a whole army (or tribe, for that matter), after all, even if she's Maeve (aka Medb) or he's Cu Chulainn (anyone here familiar with Irish folklore?) . . . so we shouldn't be allowed the opportunity of doing so.
That would indeed be awesome, Especially if there are also several characters fighting on your side. I think that's one of the most satisfying things in an RPG, when you can fight alongside NPCs, heal them, turn dangerous foes off of them, etc.

Also... perhaps there should be certain foes . . . or groups of foes . . . who simply cannot be defeated. Like the tribe of giants in Book I, for example. It's ludicrous that it's so easy to defeat a bunch of giants. Each and every one should be a Goliath. They should be extremely powerful.
That was my point in the official Q&A thread. There should be some foes so strong they can only be defeated by a master warrior. There should be chests that could only be picked by a master thief. There should be spells that can only be learned by a master mage, or quests you need to solve with high level magic. Eventually, I think this only enhances replay value, rather than being an annoying limitation. It just makes you go back to the game if you know there's something you missed out on with your last character.
AstralWanderer
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by AstralWanderer »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Several new questions added to the Official Q&A. Tried to get caught up a bit! :wink:
Thanks for the update BW - the comment about new content possibly coming in after-release patches is interesting. Are there any plans for separate expansions to Book II or will it be all-systems-go for Book III?
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

Grindstone_82 wrote: That was my point in the official Q&A thread. There should be some foes so strong they can only be defeated by a master warrior. There should be chests that could only be picked by a master thief. There should be spells that can only be learned by a master mage, or quests you need to solve with high level magic. Eventually, I think this only enhances replay value, rather than being an annoying limitation. It just makes you go back to the game if you know there's something you missed out on with your last character.
I like your idea, for book III, as book II is way to far along to add it. However, I also agree with BWs answer that anything is possible with any person. That being said, there is a way to satisfy both of you, and I think it is rather simple, too. You have different ways that the end can be accomplished, and each are set to a particular character title. I mean if BW can assign starting skill based on that, I am sure he can put that variable in for NPC responses, main quests...etc. This would actually give you a virtually unlimited replay ability. Because the game would be slightly different for each title.

BW, to make this an on topic question, even if for book III, can you say if this is something you would be willing to toy with and add down the road?
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.