cat's eyes

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
fedon
Initiate

cat's eyes

Post by fedon »

It seems that in darkness if I cast "Cat's eyes" spell enemies can see me better.
I would say it is a bug. Or is it a feature?
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: cat's eyes

Post by Randomizer »

There has been a split opinion on this, I mean whether enemies also benefit from your cat's eyes.
Eschalonian
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Eschalonian »

How do you know they see you better?
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Some enemies can see in the dark. It is likely that someone was fighting one of these enemies while using Cat's Eyes and thought it was affecting them as well. I've tested this on several more enemies without seeing them benfit.
fedon
Initiate

Post by fedon »

CrazyBernie wrote:Some enemies can see in the dark. It is likely that someone was fighting one of these enemies while using Cat's Eyes and thought it was affecting them as well. I've tested this on several more enemies without seeing them benfit.
It was a spider. It is supposed to suffer darkness penalty, but it didn't. I can check it once more.
BTW, hide in shadow also works worse with this spell. So, I concluded it works more like magic flame but not as one's capability. If compare with "Predator's sight" the latter is much better even for melee fighting.
mkreku
Apprentice

Post by mkreku »

fedon wrote:It was a spider. It is supposed to suffer darkness penalty, but it didn't. I can check it once more.
BTW, hide in shadow also works worse with this spell. So, I concluded it works more like magic flame but not as one's capability. If compare with "Predator's sight" the latter is much better even for melee fighting.
I can vouch for this. I built a rogue and rely on Hide in Shadows a lot, and everytime I cast Cat's Eyes, I lose my ability to hide! I have no idea why, but it's not worth it if you're trying to play an assassin type rogue.

Oh, and why is it that there is no backstab type of skill? The only advantage in combat I've found so far for my rogue is to stand perfectly still and hide in a shadow until someone walks by. I can then proceed to hit the poor bastard and stay hidden in shadows! If he walks by enough times I can actually kill the poor enemy without him ever noticing me! It may take an in-game day or two, but it's still worth it for a weak rogue with no armour class.

Not much fun for me as a player. I would rather have a proper sneak skill and some sort of backstab skill to complement it or get a bonus for attacking unsuspecting enemies.
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

mkreku wrote:Oh, and why is it that there is no backstab type of skill? The only advantage in combat I've found so far for my rogue is to stand perfectly still and hide in a shadow until someone walks by. I can then proceed to hit the poor bastard and stay hidden in shadows! If he walks by enough times I can actually kill the poor enemy without him ever noticing me! It may take an in-game day or two, but it's still worth it for a weak rogue with no armour class.

Not much fun for me as a player. I would rather have a proper sneak skill and some sort of backstab skill to complement it or get a bonus for attacking unsuspecting enemies.
I used hide in shadows in Book 1 extensively. I found it great that I could follow some poor enemy by staying near a wall and attacking as if I'm invisible. Then I could step out to attack quickly, but step back to the wall anytime to hide again. They would stop attacking me immediately. I would not have to just rely on them randomly walking past. Play around some more with the skill combined with move silently of course. The sneak aspect is there for real. You just have to be a bit more cunning about it (and have high skill levels). 8)
fedon
Initiate

Post by fedon »

mkreku wrote:
fedon wrote:
Oh, and why is it that there is no backstab type of skill? ....
I have found "Devastating Blow" very useful for this ;) It hits 100% and destroy enemy armor by 50%!!!
Small note: if You can not hit enemy (it moved out) don't pass enemy will see You. Do something like cast spell (not attacking) or change equipment for 2-3 turns. Then check with Your enemy.
So, I found Book II skill set to be brilliant 8)
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Did anyone report this bug over in one of the "bug" forums?

I think I'm seeing the same thing, playing with v.1.03...
frogbeard
Initiate

Post by frogbeard »

I can vouch for the same thing with respect to the Cats Eyes vs. Hide in Shadows issue: When I cast Cat's Eyes, my Hide in Shadows icon disappears the next round, and likewise, when Cat's Eyes expires, Hide In Shadows reappears the very next round. Happens on 1.01 and still happens on 1.03.

Forgive me if this has been covered somewhere else...I did a search and this was the only thread that seemed to mention this at all.
"Coin collecting's a lot like life; it stopped being fun a long time ago" - Homer
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

frogbeard wrote:I can vouch for the same thing with respect to the Cats Eyes vs. Hide in Shadows issue: When I cast Cat's Eyes, my Hide in Shadows icon disappears the next round, and likewise, when Cat's Eyes expires, Hide In Shadows reappears the very next round. Happens on 1.01 and still happens on 1.03.

Forgive me if this has been covered somewhere else...I did a search and this was the only thread that seemed to mention this at all.
I think I'm going to post a link to this thread over in the Windows Support 'bug' thread to make sure it's seen...
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

I've never had any trouble using hide in shadows with cat's eyes.
ampoliros
Pledge

Post by ampoliros »

With all 4 of the characters I've used so far, Cat's Eyes help light up the map, but I still receive the -20% to hit penalty for the enemy being in the dark. I would like to be able to use Cat's Eyes exclusively because torches are way too heavy for how short lived they are - it's also too hard on my eyes to look at the game map with a torch on and no other light.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

ampoliros wrote:With all 4 of the characters I've used so far, Cat's Eyes help light up the map, but I still receive the -20% to hit penalty for the enemy being in the dark. I would like to be able to use Cat's Eyes exclusively because torches are way too heavy for how short lived they are - it's also too hard on my eyes to look at the game map with a torch on and no other light.
I've got a "trick" for you if you're interested:

Try casting Cat's Eyes and Gravedigger's Flame at the same time!

These two spells are 'stackable' in a way I don't believe they were in Book I (I have to go back and check that to make sure...) - but, anyway, casting both together "lights up" even the darkest environments as if they were as bright as day! :D

Cat's Eyes and Gravedigger's Flame together has recently become my favorite "new feature" in Book II - doing this, I don't even need Predator Sight for my bow-using Ranger! :mrgreen:
Daemian Lucifer
Senior Steward

Post by Daemian Lucifer »

For me,cats eyes doesnt remove the penalty to hit for monsters,but does make me easier to see in shadows.It can even lead to weird things like me standing hidden,casting cats eyes,waiting for a turn,becoming visible,moving one step,becoming hidden again,waiting,becoming visible,moving one step,becoming hidden again,....Without cats yes though,whether I move or stay,Im hidden at all times.Thats with 10 in hide in shadows.With 2,I was always visible when cats eyes was in effect.