Monster spawns

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Defuser
Initiate

Monster spawns

Post by Defuser »

I dug around a little (only a little) but didnt find an answer to this;

Do the monsters re-spawn? Or once you clear an area it stays clear???

Thanks!

-jarrett
Shimoza
Initiate

Re: Monster spawns

Post by Shimoza »

Monsters do not respawn, however I believe the probability of getting attacked during the sleep does not depend on the fact is the area clear or not...
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Shimoza wrote:Monsters do not respawn, however I believe the probability of getting attacked during the sleep does not depend on the fact is the area clear or not...
Correct. You will encounter random enemies when you camp regardless of where you do it and whether you've killed the static enemies on that map. The encounters are based on your character level, and not related to where you are.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

SpottedShroom wrote:Correct. You will encounter random enemies when you camp regardless of where you do it and whether you've killed the static enemies on that map. The encounters are based on your character level, and not related to where you are.
Actually, I don't think that last part is right: camping encounter rate is at least somewhat dependent on where you are - for example, there are some maps where you will never have a random camping encounter...
GameFace
Initiate

Post by GameFace »

My impression was that the actual monsters spawned did depend on where you were. For instance, near the werewolf hunter Xed I only ever got human and rat spawns. And in the areas with boreheads, I only ever got rat and noximander spawns.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Jedi_Learner wrote:
GameFace wrote:My impression was that the actual monsters spawned did depend on where you were. For instance, near the werewolf hunter Xed I only ever got human and rat spawns.

You are correct. Unlike Book I where the camp encounters scale to your level, in Book II the designer decides which enemies spawn for each map if the player is interrupted. Two encounters can be chosen for each map, or they can be left blank. If anyone is interested you can use xolotl's Editor to find out the encounters for each map.
Huh. Knowing this, I think I'll add a request to the Book III 'wishlist' to put 'Level Scaling' for camp encounters back in as a map 'option' as well. I'm not sure how that would work, esp. with two pre-chosen monster-types... but I think most of us who are thinking about designing maps would at least like the option to 'level-scale' camp encounters (by map)...