COMPREHENSIVE Book III 'Wishlist' (List form)

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: COMPREHENSIVE Book III 'Wishlist' (List form)

Post by KillingMoon »

onlynoly wrote:How about being able to recover a thrown weapon?
Is already in the list:
IJBall wrote: BOOK III Wishlist-GAME PLAY-COMBAT:
  • Recoverable Arrows/Thrown Weapons (based on the Skill?...) - or, failing that, see above Re: reworking Forage...
Or perhaps you want IJBall to add that it's a popular wish? :wink:
bratttn
Pledge

Post by bratttn »

***Sexier FEMALE character sprites***

Magic:
1. A separate hotbar for spells
2. Dense nimbus rework (absorb some% of dmg, not repel completely)
3. New spell for mages: blind leap - teleports the mage a few spaces away from the enemy (the quantity of spaces teleported is spell lvl dependant)
4. A lot more spells for priest to roleplay darkpriest: curse, poison blood, summon skeleton, bonedart, feeblemind e.t.c.
5. A skill feat for mages: ignores resistance.
6. A skill feat for priests: restores MP
7. Make is impossible to fully spec in both divination and elemental at the same time (quite possible atm).
8. Buffs last longer and start to blink when they are about to wear off so I could see if I should rebuff soon.

Skills and stat:
1. Make skill and stat ranks (just like titles) for example 1-10 str - feeble, 11-20 - weak, 21-30 - strong, 31-40 - heroic etc.
The same with skills, 1-6 beginner, 7-12 - expert, 13-18 - master etc.
2. Class feats:
Classes get feats on lvl 10 or 15
fighter: warcry (hp restore and str boost for 10 rounds)
rogue: smoke bomb (forced hidden in shadows status regardless of the surroundings for 10 rounds)
magic user: doublecast (cast 2 spells on the same round once)
healer: divine presence (the next heal spell effect is doubled)
ranger: bullzeye (100% critical once)

Weapons:
The weapon system is handled nicely, nothing more to wish here, xcept maybe for more available arrows (like make basic arrows more common and easy to get).

Armor:
1. Robes for mages
2. Make helmets an accessory (not armor type related), more helmet strites (horns, hoods, plumage, fedora etc)

Rogue related:
1. Make traps more deadly
2. BACKSTAB!!! (3x dmg from hidden in shadows attack)
Last edited by bratttn on May 28th, 2011, 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

bratttn wrote:***Sexier FEMALE character sprites***
Please, for the love of Whatever, don't do this one, btw. :) I can't stand the hypersexual art style typically used for females in fantasy games, and it's really nice to have a respite from that kind of thing in the Eschalon series. Keep things more realistic, please! (And yes, I am a hetero male saying this.)
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

xolotl wrote:
Please, for the love of Whatever, don't do this one, btw. :) I can't stand the hypersexual art style typically used for females in fantasy games, and it's really nice to have a respite from that kind of thing in the Eschalon series. Keep things more realistic, please! (And yes, I am a hetero male saying this.)
Cannot agree more. =)

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Well, to be honest... I'd actually agree with this if there were any elves in the game... which their aren't, so... I don't care.

But... I do think the female protagonist's body should be less... Michelangelesque... I mean, yeah it is a little silly to be playing a petite female character in an a RPG game who not only is strong enough to swing a two-handed sword or axe but is also stronger than the average male tank who decides to attack you in some bar.

(For example, Mask of the Betrayer... my waifish elf character handily defeats the strongest members of the Berserker lodge. I guess her delicate appearance is just a mirage.)

...but, all that said... especially after the argument we had a long time ago over str vs. dex in connection with male vs. female... if you're going for realism: please don't make our female character look like a male character?

[/bitching] :P
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Evnissyen wrote:if you're going for realism: please don't make our female character look like a male character?
In a suit of plate mail, everybody looks pretty similar.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

I'm talking in the beginning where she's wearing pants and a shirt.

Only difference is a ponytail, so... she completely looks like a [male] bouncer with a ponytail.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Evnissyen wrote:I'm talking in the beginning where she's wearing pants and a shirt.

Only difference is a ponytail, so... she completely looks like a [male] bouncer with a ponytail.
Not quite, although I can see how you'd think that. I only know because I was looking at the graphics files last night in response to our rather oversexed friend who wanted to look like a "sexy ranger."

There are some subtle differences: breasts, smaller waist, narrower shoulders, etc. Most are only visible from certain angles. Perhaps they could be more pronounced, but it's difficult to get too much detail into an image that size. I'm just glad the artist isn't of the "chainmail bikini" school of women in fantasy art.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

SpottedShroom wrote:
Evnissyen wrote:I'm talking in the beginning where she's wearing pants and a shirt.

Not quite, although I can see how you'd think that. I only know because I was looking at the graphics files last night in response to our rather oversexed friend who wanted to look like a "sexy ranger."

There are some subtle differences: breasts, smaller waist, narrower shoulders, etc. Most are only visible from certain angles. Perhaps they could be more pronounced, but it's difficult to get too much detail into an image that size. I'm just glad the artist isn't of the "chainmail bikini" school of women in fantasy art.
Grrrr, I HATE the chainmail bikini outfits. Those things are danged cold, no protection and just an attention getter for guys. :roll:

As I recall, BW mentioned that the female figure at the beginning only had a ponytail popped on because it would have cost too much AND taken much longer for the game to come out. You have to think of each pose that a figure makes - sides, front, back - and what they are wearing/carrying. That would have been a lot of artistic changes to be made. Slight changes here and there were made. I wished there'd been mage robes or a skirt or dress myself but, rather have the game come out and play it. :) If you want these things in Book III, help out BW with donations, buying more copies of the games (I & II) or if artistic make pics to submit for ideas.
Just my two coppers worth :roll:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Dragonlady wrote:Grrrr, I HATE the chainmail bikini outfits. Those things are danged cold, no protection and just an attention getter for guys. :roll
Danged cold? But you shouldn't be wearing them during beach walks in Januari, Dragonlady! :P

It's amazing in fantasy art, by the way, that every single female is of the attractive young kind, with supermodel looks and a revealing outfit.
For fun, try to google for female fantasy portraits and see if you find something older with lines in her face, or even just a more fully figured woman.
I tried once and I didn't find any!

You would think that at least one artist would have gone, 'Okay, I know how every single depiction of a female in fantasy looks the same right now, but it's getting boring, I'm going to do something different.'
What amazes me most is that people that are involved in a genre called fantasy seem to have so little imagination themselves. Games are the worst, those game worlds are always full of the same cliches about dwarves, elves, etc.

Basiliskwrangler doesn't do a bad job, though. The Boreheads and Sentinel Stalks in Book II I didn't come across before and I thought they were excellent creations. Too often it is being said that Eschalon is just recycling old concepts. This is true for most of its content, but please don't overlook all those examples of originality.
A creature that I was thinking about as well, inspired by Donleon when he was asking what a 'caterpilar' was, is to have a caterpilar unit in the game, an innocent enough piece of vermin in itself, but with a certain percentage of chance to turn into a vicious, bloodthirsty insect when hit...
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

KillingMoon wrote:
It's amazing in fantasy art, by the way, that every single female is of the attractive young kind, with supermodel looks and a revealing outfit.
For fun, try to google for female fantasy portraits and see if you find something older with lines in her face, or even just a more fully figured woman.
I tried once and I didn't find any!

:) I did. I did find a few older female fantasy portraits, unfortunately there were all labled "witch" :lol:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

And then, after receiving one marriage proposal too many, our sex kitten morphed back into her old familiar form...

Of course, I should have seen that one coming... I guess I was blind. :lol:
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Moon: I have a question. How can this woman (hag or evil witch?) possibly be capable of eating human children without incsisors or molars?

...Maybe she makes a soup of them and just swallows. Well... that would explain the cauldron, although to be fair: that's been conflating simple alchemy with people-eating.
sh4dow
Apprentice

Post by sh4dow »

it would sure be nice to have the ability to choose the refresh rate without looking for and editing a config file... 60hz on a crt monitor is brutal. and 120hz work just fine for me.

just don't forget to react to "ESC" in case the user selects something too high, even though i can't imagine that people still use monitors that can't do 1024x768 at 120hz. ;)

[edit]
i btw just saw that popular item "map editor" on the list... there already is one for both book I and II? and it doesn't seem like people use it a lot anyway? maybe it has limited usage, i don't know, i don't care about map editors, so i didn't bother finding out...
but since it's a popular item, i figured i should point it out. even though there's already a huge thread about it here as well?
http://apocalyptech.com/eschalon/
[/edit]
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Sh4dow,

The current map editor that Xolotl created is not official or supported by Basilisk Games. It's a fan-created item. What's in the wishlist (and already promised by BW) is the official toolset so that fans can create add-on adventures in Eschalon, or just using the Eschalon engine.

Spotted Shroom and JediLearner both did some cool content for Book I with Xolotl's tools, though.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.