COMPREHENSIVE Book III 'Wishlist' (List form)

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
IJBall
Major
Major

COMPREHENSIVE Book III 'Wishlist' (List form)

Post by IJBall »

I've been planning this topic for a long time. It'll be somewhat modeled on the previous 'compiled' Book II Wishlist topic, as well as attempting to group 'wishes' by topic a la my earlier Needed Fixes, and Suggestions, for v1.05: LIST Form topic.

This Book III 'wishlist' began with what Book III requests I had compiled from these forums (and from myself!) through about Oct. 2010. I have added to it and updated it a number of times since then. I feel like this 'wishlist' is mostly complete now, but it may still be missing a few things here or there.

If you feel like the Book III wishlist is still missing a thing or two, please post in the thread below with suggestions.

BW has requested that the most "long-term popular" 'wishlist' requests be highlighted as such - I am making every attempt to do that, either by marking prominent items from the previous 'compiled' Book II Wishlist or by trying to find earlier thread topics or forum discussion on some of these requests.

Anyway, here is the list (so far!):

BOOK III Wishlist-ENGINE:
  • Variable game resolution (e.g. 800x600 to 2560x1440) (unlikely due to technical game-engine limitations? - but BW may, instead, add one additional 'widescreen resolution' for certain laptop users (Sorry folks, but this WHOLE THING is moot! now - see this (I'd do 'strikethrough' text on this entry if this board allowed it!))
  • Difficulty options (e.g. "Easy"-play mode, and "Hard"-play mode) (POPULAR)
  • A faster game mode (i.e. a "run" mode) for movement (i.e. aside from Quick-Travel) (POPULAR)
  • Player-customizable Quick-Travel points (at least one, if not more)
  • An 'autosave' slot, with the game autosaving every (5, or 10?) minutes (see: What's missing? thread)
  • A way to "sort" Save Games in the Save list; also file info on a Save Game when it's clicked on (see: What's missing? thread)
  • A 'Quicksave' hotkey (should probably involve a two-key-combination Hotkey, to avoid accidental 'Quicksaving'...)
  • A 'Quickload' hotkey (as above? - i.e. also a *two*-key-combination for 'Quickload' Hotkey?) (Request goes back to pre-Book II!...)
  • "Are you sure you want to save?" option (me, pre-Book II)
  • Screenshots saved to separate "screenshots" folder within "Book III Saved Games" ƒ; screenshot save location changeable vis .cfg file
  • Map caching for faster map loading(?!)
  • Add a 'map' option for 'level-scaling' of camp 'mob' encounters (i.e. sort of make a 'hybrid' of the Book II and Book I 'mob' camp encounter systems) (also, increase the number of possible camp encounter mobs to 3 from 2?...) (see: Monster spawns thread, here)
  • 'Meta' map of all Minimaps (by Right-Clicking minimap?) (POPULAR)
  • Randomizability (e.g. random placement of either mobs or items within a map, or even across multiple maps) (see: Some Technical/Engine Questions for BW thread) (requested by: me!!)
  • Items that can attract (e.g. cursed) or repel (e.g. "blessed") (certain) mobs, even when they are out of, or beyond, line-of-sight (see: Some Technical/Engine Questions for BW thread; it seems this capability already exists, actually, so it just needs to be implemented...) (requested by: me, and vdweller below)
  • Fix the Book II issue(bug) with not being able to highlight loot sacks that are dropped immediately behind a wall-torch, wall-sign, or wall-painting (POPULAR)
  • Fix the Book II issue(bug) with identified items not staying identified (requested by: vdweller, below (among others...))
  • Work on "Speed" differentials among characters, NPCs and 'mobs' - e.g. if SPEED=25, you start to walk/move appreciably "faster" than NPCs and 'mobs' (original Eschalon game-mechanic planned for by BW?...)
  • Improve stocking of items by merchants (e.g. make it a low-level chance to find, say, 1 or 2 high-level scrolls with game's initial merchants, but have the chances slowly increase as the game progresses (while still maintaining the chances of finding low-level scrolls all the way through the game)...)
  • Improve maps' weather options so that, say, the "chance" of rain (or snow) can be either "Low", "Medium" or "High" (or, at least, just "Low" or "High"...)
  • Improve maps' weather options so that some maps can have a random chance of either "regular" weather or "winter" weather
  • Dynamic shadows & water reflections (requested by: King_of_Death, below)
  • "Positional" sound (requested by: King_of_Death, below)
  • Similarly, the Player's footsteps volume should be inversely proportional to his/her Move Silent skill (i.e. the more skilled you are in it, the less audible your footsteps will be in-game) (requested by: King_of_Death, below)
  • Fallen 'mob' corpses remain in place (requested by: King_of_Death, below; I'm not sure I like this one, actually...)
  • Roofs: The player cannot see inside buildings until he/she gets inside (requested by: King_of_Death, below - I suspect this may be beyond the scope of the Eschalon game-engine though...)
  • A "notebook" (pad) for the player (i.e. some editable text window that the player can add to as the game progresses)
  • Related to the above (perhaps): a "game log" (.txt?) file (e.g. Din's Curse) of the Narrative/Info gametext that can be accessed (POPULAR)
  • Color code the Quest Journal, so players can tell which quests they have yet to complete (in black), which quests have been completed (maybe color in Green, or something?...), and which quests they've abandoned or failed (maybe color in Red?)
  • A Bestiary 'journal'(?) (e.g. Din's Curse) (see: What's missing? thread)
  • Add Date/Calendar to the game(?...)
  • Sailing/Boating!!
  • Horses/steed riding (I know there are technical issues with this one though...)
  • A game 'console' (i.e. to operate game in a 'command line' fashion) - BW is already working on this, I think (see: Eschalon needs a proper console thread)
BOOK III Wishlist-GUI:
  • Add more hotkeys!! (POPULAR)
    • Weapons/Armor sets: switch #1 <-> #2 (key: ENTER/RETURN; or, if there are more than 2 Weapons/Armor sets, then perhaps key: CTRL-# or OPTION-# two-key Hotkey (e.g. CTRL-1 would switch to Weapons/Armor set #1, CRTL-2 would switch to Weapons/Armor set #2, etc.))
    • Alchemy Mixer (key: A)
    • Game Stats (key: Z)
    • Get/Grab All (key: G)
    • Close All Windows (key: X (just add to its functionality...), or perhaps CTRL-X or OPTION-X?...)
    • Combat Mode (key: ???)
    • Make 'loot sack' (key: L?)
  • Related to above: Go back to Book I Hotkey system: ENTER/RETURN only changes Primary Weapon <-> Secondary Weapon, and back (then, maybe, CTRL-1, CTRL-2, etc. could switch entire Weapon/Armor sets?...) (see: Weapon swapping - preferred book 1) (POPULAR)
  • Have 'switched weapon/armor' go back to the last place they were stored in the inventory, not just automatically to the "top" of the inventory screen (requested by: jwrickert, below, and many others!)
  • A way to change your characters facing-direction via the Keyboard (the mouse equivalent is SHIFT-clicking, so perhaps the Keyboard equivalent could be OPTION-[Arrow Key]?...)
  • Be able to scroll 'windowed lists' (e.g. the alchemy recipes, the Skills list in the character editor) with the mouse wheel (or the Up/Down Arrow keys?...), or at least being able to drag the 'scroll rectangle' up and down in any window with scroll bars/scroll rectangles. (see: here) (POPULAR)
  • Be able to equip or unequip an item by double-clicking it (with autoplacement, as long as you can wear that particular item). (see: here)
  • Make Space Key(?) the default key to accept or close all the popup panels, apart from the usual Y(es) or O(k) to accept (and close them). Maybe allow Space(?) to close all but the most important ones (i.e. to prevent the player from accidentally using the Space key to close out the most important pop-ups). (see: here)
  • Add 'Origin' (title) to the character info in the 'Player Stats' (window)
  • Add info to the 'Game Stats' screen on which "Game Options" were chosen by the player at game's start
  • Right/Control-clicking Skills & Attributes in the 'Player Stats' window to get descriptions (POPULAR)
  • Right/Control-click Skill Feat 'buttons' in 'Active Effects' Window for Skill Feat descriptions
  • Display 'Grayed-Out' Skill Feat 'buttons' in 'Active Effects' Window during 'cooldown' times, so that the Player can click on the button to see how many turns remain before that Feat is 'reactivated'
  • Add 'Weather Effects" (e.g. Storm, Rain) button(s) to 'Active Effects' Window, along with displaying the applied weather penalties when clicked on
  • Change the color (i.e. 'Yellow' them?...) of 'Buff' button(s) in the 'Active Effects' Windows when they are 5-10 turns from expiring (requested by: brattin, below)
  • Some way to get Scroll/Potion descriptions from Inventory (but can't be Right/Control-Click! - latter already used to Read/Drink Scrolls and Potions - maybe OPTION-Click instead?...) (POPULAR)
  • Improve Alchemy mixer - e.g. "gray out" recipes that can't be made due to unavailable (or unidentified) reagents (see: What's missing? thread)
  • Ditto Spell Book - e.g. "gray out" spell levels that are unavailble due to current character's "magic" Level (see: What's missing? thread)
  • "Area Title" for Minimap (see: What's missing? thread)
  • Be able to annotate Minimap (tied to Cartography level?...)
  • Having a player's Inventory sorted into "sections" by Tabs (see: Auto-sort inventories thread)
    • Failing the above: A GUI-interface for Key Chain
    • And a separate Food/Water inventory ("Food bag")
  • Items bought from, or sold to, Vendors should always autostack in player's (or merchants'!) Inventories! (POPULAR)
  • Add a "Barter" button to Buy/Sell screen - to bring up a pop-up with multiple slots (and tallied GP totals) - for buying/selling multiple items
  • Go back to using Merchant "set slots" more - i.e. in Book I, there were some items that a Merchant would always be selling (up at the top of the Merchant's inventory), but that seemed to be used much, much less in Book II - please bring the 'set slots' back for Book III
  • "Held" items by vendor (see: Din's Curse); also, "reserving" items for later purchase? (see: Wish List for Book II {compiled})
  • Improved dialogue box navigation (e.g. ESC goes back one); especially make all Dialogue windows navigable by keys (especially closing out of a 'dialogue box' with "*O*K" or "*E*nd"...) (see: What's missing? thread)
BOOK III Wishlist-GAME PLAY-GENERAL:
  • "Fatigue" status (bar), a la Hunger & Thirst (make Optional 'Game Rule') (requested by: me (and others), since Book I)
  • "Low Money Supply" option (make Optional 'Game Rule'?)
  • Auto-create a 'loot sack' (even without Forage!) - e.g. either above Quickkey method, and/or change "Drop Item" code to: "Do you wish to permanently drop this item (it'll be lost forever)? Or do you wish to place on the ground in a new (loot) sack?" (dialogue options: Drop Item/Put in Sack/Cancel)
  • Clicking (say, CTRL-Clicking? etc.) on an NPC or object would automatically 'walk' the character over to the NPC or object (and bring up the action dialogue/etc.)
  • Be able to "look" at mobs, even during Combat (perhaps, OPTION-Click always looks at an object/NPC/mob, in any circumstance, even combat?...)
  • Monster respawning (or at least a game-option, and/or a map-option, for...) after a map is initially cleared (again - at least, some maps and/or dungeons) (POPULAR)
  • Stealing/pickpocketing (both by you (see below), and by certain NPCs/mobs!)
  • Give more than just lowest level weapons/armor 'item bonus' - e.g. make so it's not just AR=1 gloves can be Burglar's Gloves, not just AR=2 cloaks can be Cloaks of the Shadow, etc.
  • Imbuing Weapons with Skills!
  • Findable Weapons/Armor "sets" (requested by: CrazyBernie's suggestion here)
  • Weapons/Item crafting! (see: What's missing? thread) (POPULAR)
  • Make Poison (more) "stackable" (i.e. make loss of HP's for Poison go higher than just -1 MP per turn) (note: This issue appears to be at least partially dealt with in v1.05 of Book II... so, this issue appears to be moot...)
  • Be able to put out torches/candelabras with (special?) ranged-weapons
  • Make filled Lanterns worth/cost *more* (25 GP) vs. unfilled Lanterns (15-20 GP); ditto filled Water Skins (15 GP) vs. partially filled Water Skins (5-14 GP)
  • Class-specific quests (POPULAR) (and originally planned for in Book II, anyway?...)
  • Class-specific items and weapons (requested by: Necromis, below)
  • Banks? (to store stuff (and money?))
  • Day/night shifts for NPCs?
  • Have (some) Food (types) "spoil" after a certain (set) amount of time (make a Game Option?...)
BOOK III Wishlist-GAME PLAY-CLASSES, AXIOMS & TITLES, and CHARACTER CREATION:
  • Go back to Book I's system of giving the player 20 Skill points at character creation rather than 15 Skill points like in Book II (I'll leave it up to BW if he wants to leave 20 Attribute points to spend at game's start, or cut that back to 15 a la Book I... ;) )
  • "Progressivity" to the 'Virtuous' Axiom (see: Axioms, Why They Are Great... thread)
  • Rework Mages: they're too powerful - 'nerf' MP regen. so that Players would need more PER (e.g. much higher than PER=60) to get MP regen. greater than 1-2 per turn
  • Also 'nerf' HP regen. in much the same way so that HP regen. of greater than 1-2 per turn is difficult to achieve
  • Rework Mage, and esp. Rogue, Title/Skills (see: List of Character "Titles", and Starting Skills & Items thread)
BOOK III Wishlist-GAME PLAY-SKILLS:
  • +1 Armor Rating for every +1, +2, +5 or +10 Levels in an Armor Skill (but see The Armor Quandary thread)
  • By the same token rework Heavy Armor (e.g. AR = 2, 4, 6, etc. *only* - always 2x, or 1.5x, of Light Armor AR for same "kind" of Armor...) (but see The Armor Quandary thread)
  • See GUI section, above, for Alchemy Mixer improvements...
  • Trainer 'quests' for "special" Skill (bonuses) (see: Min-Maxxing... thread)
  • Expand Skullduggery to include the ability to lay/set traps (or make that a new, separate skill?...)
  • Speed "compliments" Dodge (POPULAR)
  • Link together Lore Skill and Weapons/Armor Skills so that a high proficiency in a Weapons/Armor Skill acts like a large Lore bonus for identifying the specific types of weapons/armor associated with that Skill (e.g. having Swords at Level 20 means your character can identify almost any found Sword even if your Character's INT is fairly low and you have little-to-no Lore Skill) (POPULAR)
  • Related to the above: Link together Lore Skill and Magick Skills so that a high proficiency in a Magick Skill acts like a large Lore bonus for identifying the specific types of scrolls associated with that Magick (e.g. having Elemental Magick at Level 20 means your character can identify almost any found spell scroll even if your Character has little-to-no Lore Skill)
  • Rework Repair (too powerful in Book II)
  • Rework Forage: should get Food (& refill Water Skin) (and possibly items such as "regular" and "Jagged" Stones), and fewer Alchemy reagents - problem is, currently, Forage is too much of a "money generator": sort of 'breaks' game right now, so having Forage generate more Food items (and Stones) and fewer Alchemy reagent items would ameliorate the 'balancing' issue arising from Forage being too much of a "money generator" in Book II...
  • And, tie Forage into Arrows/Thrown Weapons? (e.g. Fletching; and finding Stones - see above)...
  • Also, it would be really great if the types of items that could be Foraged could be set/restricted by map (better: if the type of items that could be Foraged could be set/restricted by grid or grid-type (probably too hard to code for though!)) - e.g. Ambergris only from "beach" maps, no Willow Bark in dungeons, etc. (from: List of recipes and reagents. thread, starting from about here)
  • Foraging while just walking around, rather than just during camping (this has been requested a few times over the last couple of years...)
  • Refine INT and ID'ing of Items (e.g. can't ID rocks or food with INT~15?!)
  • Improve Cartography:
    • If you map out an area with a cartography bonus, then your maps should not be "undrawn" when you lose that bonus and go over the same area.
    • You should not have to go into every single little cranny of a tunnel or forest in order to complete your maps - simply moving past should be enough. (Tie this feature in with (higher) Cartography Level?...)
    • Separate 'dot' color for (open) barrels (in Book II (not true in v1.05 though?...)): open barrels were light brown, indistinguishable from tree stumps, etc.)
    • Make 'torch stands' and 'lamp posts' 'Orange' just like wall torches
    • Make "fountains" a more distinguishable *Blue* color
    • Give up/down stairs a uniquely distinguishable feature color
    • Make snow/ice appear as '(pure) White' on the Minimap instead of 'Green'.
  • Multiple 'trainer' books (e.g. 3 books in a *Series* give 4-6 levels in a Skill (e.g. Lore))
  • Skill trainers... (what to do with them?!)
  • NEW SKILL: Fletching (or tie in with Forage? - see above) (POPULAR)
  • NEW SKILL: Thieving/Pickpocketing (i.e. random chance of stealing random 'loot' from adjacent NPC (or certain mobs?)) (POPULAR)
  • A "Nature Lore" or "Animal Training" skill - e.g. if high enough, beasties like Wolves (and Lizards) wouldn't attack you
  • Have Meditation count in with the 1/2x(INT or WIS) limitation on the number of spells that can be learned (i.e. makes for an added benefit to having Meditation)
BOOK III Wishlist-GAME PLAY-COMBAT:
  • Revise 'Parry': It's too powerful (at high levels), as is
  • Finally allow Unarmed Combat the ability to 'Parry' attacks as well (POPULAR)
  • Change max/min ToHit's back to Book I's 98%/2% (vs. 99%/1% in Book II)
  • Rework Thrown Weapons Skill, combat, and Feat, to make Thrown Weapons a more viable combat choice (see: Thrown Weapons revisited + new ideas thread, esp. for links to two other threads on the subject; see also wishlist entry immediately below this one for another way to improve Thrown Weapons) (POPULAR)
  • Recoverable Arrows/Thrown Weapons (based on the Skill?...) (POPULAR) (or, failing that, see above Re: reworking Forage…)
  • A player will deal more damage if he/she strikes an enemy when it's not aware of his/her presence: i.e. a "surprise" damage bonus - i.e. some kind of special 'Critical Hit'/Bonus Damage capability (for Rogues, esp.) for a 'first (melee) strike' against an Enemy when the Player is, say, 'Hidden (in Shadow)' (requested by King_of_Death, and several others - POPULAR)
BOOK III Wishlist-GAME PLAY-SPELLS & MAGICK:
  • More Quick-set spells - best: An entire second set of 10 Quick-Set spells, and some way to 'toggle' back-and-forth between the two sets of Quick-set spells (e.g. 1-thru-0 to cast the first Quick-set spell 'set', and CRTL-1-thru-CTRL-0 to cast the second Quick-set spell 'set') (POPULAR)
  • Be able to "clear out" 'Quick-Set Spell' (#'s) from the Spell Journal to "EMPTY" (using Shift-Click?...)
  • See GUI section, above, for Spell Book improvements...
  • Set spells up to automatically "auto-recast" (somehow?... - maybe using a 'check box' in the Quick-Set Spell part of the Spell Journal window?...): i.e. spell "locking" - e.g. this would allow a spell, like Reveal Map, to be automatically 'recast' without the player having to do it manually every 10 turns(!!)
  • Speaking of... Rework: Increase the duration of the Reveal Map spell to a flat 100 or 160 Turns, rather than making the spell's duration dependent on level-cast-at (see: Needed Fixes, and Suggestions, for v1.05: LIST Form thread)
  • Rework: Draw Water & Create Food spells into "Quench Thirst" and "Satiate Hunger" spells (i.e. have these revised spells just (re)fill the Thirst/Hunger status bars) - this would eliminate the 'balancing' issue arising from esp. the "Create Food" spell being a "money generator" in Book II...
  • Rework: Fleshboil (and Sunder Flesh) - should not work on undead (or plants(?) - e.g. Sentinel Stalks(?)...)
  • Revise: Sparkling Wonder, to up the chance (to 5% or 10%(?)) that NPC's "save" against it (and if an NPC "saves", it becomes a "crime" situation)
  • Have AOE spells (e.g. Compress Atmosphere) highlight the affected grid-square(s) a la Demon Oil throws - will make them work on *objects* too (requested by: CrazyBernie & Kreador Freeaxe in Fixes and Requests for 1.05 thread, starting here) (POPULAR)
  • A "Mercantile" spell? (for Divination?)
  • NEW SPELL (for Mages): Blink - transports Mage a random number of grid-squares (distance based on casting level) away from their current position (but still on the same map).
  • NEW SPELL (for Healers): Summon Undead - basically, the Healer equivalent of "Summon Beast" spell (requested by brattin, below)
  • NEW SPELL (for Healers): Enfeeblement(?...) (requested by brattin, below)
  • RESTORE (old) SPELL (for Healers): Poison (Healers started with Poison Spray in Book I, before it was moved over to just Mages' Toxic Element in Book II - Healers should still have a spell like this too, in Book III) (requested by brattin, below)
BOOK III Wishlist-GAME PLAY-BESTIARY:
  • Must. Have. Dragons! :!:
  • Either Thieves that pickpocket and steal items (from the Player), and/or Gremlins that steal Food and/or Water (skins?) from the Player
  • (More) Thug/Outlander 'chief' or 'boss' types (these were sorely missing from Book II, outside of 'Jawbreaker'...); also Thug/Outlander archers and/or spear/dart-throwers (hey! if these guys often yield up Bows & Arrows or Rocks/Darts/Spears as droppable loot, at least some of them should actually use these ranged-weapons!!) (requested by: me, and Asgard The Elder below)
  • Some beast/mob that uses electricity as its primary attack
  • Magic-using opponents - e.g. evil Wizards and/or Warlocks...
  • More 'explodeable' enemies, a la the Goblin Bombthugs and Acid Grubs from Book I
  • The return of the Barrea[n] Mercenary!!
  • While we're at it, I wouldn't mind seeing Goblins make a return appearance in Book III either...
BOOK III Wishlist-GAME PLAY-"ATMOSPHERICS":
  • More clickable stuff!!: (POPULAR)
    • Bring back clickable skeletal remains!
    • Put in some (more) clickable bookcases
    • Put in some (more) clickable shelves
    • More clickable (hidden!) treestumps!
  • More character picture portraits - e.g. combine all the character portraits from Book I & II, along with some new ones for Book III? (esp. more female character portraits needed...)
  • Greater customizability of the Player's avatar - e.g. if nothing else, more color choices (e.g. see Xed from Book II, and how his avatar had different colored clothes than anybody else - so, at least, more color choices like this for the Player and his/her Avatar) (see: Things I'm hoping for in Eschalon Book III thread)
  • Bring back flowers and gardens!! (one of the biggest things I missed from Book I, that wasn't in Book II, was flowers and flowering plants/trees!)
  • Flags that flap in the wind! - i.e. realistic (basic) "physics" (requested by: me, and King_of_Death below)
  • Also grasses that flap in the wind! (imagine how cool it would be if your character could walk through waist-high golden grassland that flapped back & forth in the wind!!) (requested by: me, and King_of_Death below)
  • A "pirate" town w/ shop - to buy things like "Stumpy's Cocktail for Locks" potion recipe!
  • Just more secret places to find!! (requested by: hermitt, below)
  • An arena?... (requested by: severian, below)
BOOK III Wishlist-GAME PLAY-MISC:
  • Rework "Hidden in Shadow" 'status' so it's just "Hidden" 'status' (so, it can work with more than just Dark+HideInShadow - e.g. "Hidden" 'status' could also be obtained using something like Dark+ChameleonSpell...)
  • Items!:
    • Bring back a Gravedigger's Flame item - esp. a Gravedigger's Flame helm!
    • Bring back Cartographer's Sandals, as well(?)
    • Higher damage staffs, and higher damage daggers
    • Gloves with Unarmed Combat, and ToHit/Damage, bonuses, please!
    • More Robes (with (higher) Armor Ratings) for Mages
  • Be able to purchase house (requested a number of times, over the years...)
  • Insanity(?!) (see here) (see also, the request by: King_of_Death, below)
  • Go back to two tiers of Diseases, a la Book I (?)
  • Be able to join a Guild (?)
  • MINOR: Get the Goblin Dice (and the Sextant?) to "work" when "used"
BOOK III Wishlist-MISC (Suggestions):
  • Allow 'importing' of Book II characters(?) (at least their rudiments?...) (I've got lots of great stuff in my cabin in East Willow!!)
  • Be able to not just "drop" torches, but place them in barrels, etc.
  • Pets?...
  • Take us back to Mistfell!! Take us back to The Underground Repository!!!
  • Render all of Eschalon game world using Book II/Book III engine (including Thaermore)
  • MAP EDITOR! so we can all make our own new scenarios!! :mrgreen: (POPULAR)
  • And allow us to have 'strikethrough' text on these forums! :)
Last edited by IJBall on January 4th, 2012, 12:29 pm, edited 17 times in total.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: COMPREHENSIVE Book III 'Wishlist' (List form)

Post by xolotl »

Nice to see this forum opened! A couple of notes:
IJBall wrote:
  • Rework Mages: they're too powerful - cap MP regen. at 1-2 per turn
  • Also cap HP regen. at 1-2 per turn
Please don't do this! Or if you do, please only drop it down to maybe 3 per turn. I enjoyed having a nicely-powerful mage to work with in Book 2, and while I enjoyed the relative challenge of playing a mage character in Book 1, I much prefer being able to get the MP regeneration up so high. It's no fun to have to camp for 24 hours after every few enemies!

A couple more that I didn't see mentioned in there:
  • I'd like to have at least one extra "line" of ready-spell slots, with a hotkey to switch between them (much like the Book 1 primary/alternate weapon). Especially towards the endgame, I tend to be using more than 10 spells on a regular basis, and I find myself wishing that I could have separate slot lines for offensive/defensive spells, etc.
  • One other thing that I've been thinking about is that I actually find Book 1's Primary/Alternate weapon swapping to be more useful than the more-robust version featured in Book 2. The primary issue being that whenever you upgrade a single piece of armor, you've got to remember to update your equipment save slots, otherwise you'll end up screwing up your sets when you do the auto-swap. The upshot is that I mostly end up just not using the enhanced equipment slots, and doing things by hand instead. I was thinking it would be nice if there were a way to specify which equipment slots you wanted to swap, and then only swap those when you're switching. I'm not entirely certain how the GUI would look for that, though, since you'd want to be able to support swapping out for "nothing" as well.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

xolotl wrote:Nice to see this forum opened! A couple of notes:
IJBall wrote:
  • Rework Mages: they're too powerful - cap MP regen. at 1-2 per turn
  • Also cap HP regen. at 1-2 per turn
Please don't do this! Or if you do, please only drop it down to maybe 3 per turn. I enjoyed having a nicely-powerful mage to work with in Book 2, and while I enjoyed the relative challenge of playing a mage character in Book 1, I much prefer being able to get the MP regeneration up so high. It's no fun to have to camp for 24 hours after every few enemies!
I can't say I agree with this.

For example, right now I'm playing a new Healer character: her PER is up to PER=40, and she's only about Level 8. But right now, she can breeze through a dozen Outlanders or a dozen Phase Hunters by casting Fleshboil spells without even breaking too much of a sweat! - MP Regen is about 1 MP per turn, and my total MP is over 100 MPs. I only rarely need to "pass" about a dozen (or, more rarely, two dozen) turns in between foes to 're-up' my MP total to safe levels.

And I've almost never needed to "camp" with either my Healer or Mage in Book II (with which I usually 'max out' at PER=40 or PER=45) just to 're-up' MPs.

IOW, just based on my experience, a 'cap' of MP (and HP) Regeneration at 1-2 points per turn should be more than enough.

But I am seriously concerned at the 'exploit' factor of being able to MP Regen. up to 5 MPs per turn like you can in Book II currently - that is seriously overpowered, IMHO.

Edit: Though I just thought of a way we can both get what we want - rather than putting a 'hard cap' on MP/HP Regen., perhaps it should just be that the formula for greater MP/HP Regen. can be reworked some. IOW, rather than being able to get robust MP Regen. at PER=60, perhaps change the 'formula' so that you have to get to PER=80 or even PER=100 to start getting MP Regen. on the order of 4-5 MPs per turn. That way, it's not a 'hard cap', and is still achievable for some (the most dedicated!), but is practically out of reach for most players.

Now that we've hashed it over, I'll rework this one, now, to better reflect these ideas, in the next update of the list. :)
xolotl wrote:A couple more that I didn't see mentioned in there:
  • I'd like to have at least one extra "line" of ready-spell slots, with a hotkey to switch between them (much like the Book 1 primary/alternate weapon)...
  • One other thing that I've been thinking about is that I actually find Book 1's Primary/Alternate weapon swapping to be more useful than the more-robust version featured in Book 2. The primary issue being that whenever you upgrade a single piece of armor, you've got to remember to update your equipment save slots, otherwise you'll end up screwing up your sets when you do the auto-swap. The upshot is that I mostly end up just not using the enhanced equipment slots, and doing things by hand instead...
These are good - I'll add these to the list with my next update of it (maybe this weekend?...). :)
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

From Book 2 beta testing there were too many complaints about mana regeneration below 2 MP per turn. It was mostly near the start when you don't have that large mana pool. But getting 4 or more is a bit high.

Could you add having parry apply to unarmed combat even at a reduced level. Monks really get chewed up closing with missile attackers.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Randomizer wrote:Could you add having parry apply to unarmed combat even at a reduced level. Monks really get chewed up closing with missile attackers.
Wait, I just assumed that was fixed with v1.05 (it was in the "Bugs" list for v1.05 development that I put together) - you mean that wasn't fixed?!

If not, I will definitely add that to the wishlist - simply not allowing Unarmed Combat the "Parry" option pretty much destroys any rationale for playing Unarmed Combat. (Aside from being nonsensical - I mean, how many martial arts flicks have we seen where the hero either dodges a spear or arrow, or even simply knocks it out of the air?!... ;) )
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

I just checked and it's still not there for version 1.05. I guess the extra code for looking for unarmed combat skill needs to be added.
kenoxite
Apprentice

Post by kenoxite »

Erm... tooltips?
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

kenoxite wrote:Erm... tooltips?
Believe me, it's in there... right here:
  • Right/Control-clicking Skills & Attributes in the 'Player Stats' window to get descriptions
I've been requesting this particular feature since fairly early on in Book II development - there's no way I'm not going to push for it getting into Book III!! ;)
dot_sent
Initiate

Post by dot_sent »

Just a thought: make a Cartography skill working only if player has Inkwell/Quill/Parchment in inventory. Maybe also make parchment an expendable material - one piece per map.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I really, really appreciate this work you're doing here, IJBall. Having a list like this makes my job so much easier than looking through dozens (hundreds?) of different posts.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:I really, really appreciate this work you're doing here, IJBall. Having a list like this makes my job so much easier than looking through dozens (hundreds?) of different posts.
No problem!

I'm hoping that I'll really be able to put some work into all of this over Winter Break. So I'll work on simple maintenance and editing of the list over the next several weeks. But I'm hoping to kick it up a notch in December. :twisted:
vdweller
Senior Steward

Post by vdweller »

I'm copying this from an older thread.
  • Identified items stay identified. Why having to pay a merchant 10 times to identify a simple piece of dried meat? If this upsets the Lore skill balace, there are 2 ways to rectify this: a) Powerful unID'd items should always need identification if one fails their Lore check and b) Lore also identifies cursed items, which will be discussed below.
    Also, what about trial and error? For example, players could drink inidentified potions in order to see what they can do. Many dangerous potions, including potions of poison/disease/condensed soda (empties the stomach :)) should make "drink and find out" a risky task.
  • Cursed items. Imagine the player's frustration after foolishly equipping with a good-looking axe, only to find out they can't compel themselves to unequip it! Cursed items may also affect a hidden "luck" statistic. Atheistic characters might even be immune to them! Cursed items add difficulty to a game, but they also reward careful playing. They might even help story and quest-wise:
    a) A powerful lich (as if there are non-powerful ones) is destroyed, and a cursed artifact ring is dropped... Why should normal people be allowed to freely wear undead people's stuff? :)
    b) Imagine this quest: You have to wear a cursed item (ie an extra-heavy cloak) and carry it to a specific location where only there it can be destroyed. Depending on your mood, some NPCs could accompany you, after first shouting "You have my axe!" "And my bow!" :)
  • Corruption. In ADOM, corruption was like background radiation. An invisible threat, slowly accumulating inside the player character's being, more slowly in outdoors areas and more rapidly below the earth and in other dangerous places. As the PC's corruption grows, characters change, gaining new abilities, but also becoming horrendously deformed: Acid breath. Feet transformed into hooves. Scaly skin which adds to Armor Class but reduces Dexterity. Antennae growing on the top of your head, randomly revealing nearby map sections. In the end, after too many corruptions, the player is totally consumed by the powers of Chaos and is transformed in a being of pure chaos, where it's Game Over. In ADOM, coruption was very difficult to be removed.
    Before anything else, a note: I'm not saying to entirely copy ADOM's corruption and the way it works. I am merely presenting the way ot works in an existing game. A totally different type of "something which slowly accumulates in the background" thing can be implemented in Book III.
    Corruption offers some cool in-game effects:
    a) No more "hey, I'm gonna rest for 20 hours inside this dungeon!". Corruption is a gentle way to remind the player that "the clock is ticking" so don't waste your time too much.
    b) Corruption effects add great diversity (since they can appear in a random order) and may completely change the way a player acts in-game. Fighters may drop their sword and fight with those new razor-sharp blades protruding from their hands. Wizards may spit acid on enemies,thus conserving MP for the larger ones. And so on...
    c) It's a great way of simulating the effects of a great evil spreading across the lands, which affects players every turn. Plus, certain areas could be accessed only with certain corruptions, which may lead players to actually seeking to obtain certain corruptions.
  • Dipping item in potions.Coating your sword with demon oil would result in an explosive attack. Poison is pretty much obvious, and dipping weapons in potions of healing would deal extra damage to undead. Of course, the potion is wasted afterwards.
  • Perception affects how well a character sees in the dark. Why not having keen-sighted characters?
I might be adding some more ideas later. It depends on how well-received those previously mentioned ideas will be by other forum members :)
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

I'll add my two cents.
This is what I'd like to see in Book III:

Technical:
  • Dynamic shadows; multiple light sources cast multiple shadows.
  • Water reflections.
  • Positional sound: The SFX will be played on the right or left speaker according to their position.
  • Basic physics: The player can see trees' branches moving, leaves being carried away by the wind and pieces of cloth moving (using predefined animations, not real physics).
  • Corpses: Enemies' corpses remain in place instead of just disappearing.
Level design:
  • More tall grass (as far as I know, there were no lawnmowers in 7xx :D) (optional, as it will make the game harder because the player won't be able to see enemies clearly).
Gameplay:
  • Sanity gauge: If the player traverses a dungeon or a forest through the night, or sees disturbing things, his/her sanity will start going down. As the gauge lowers, his/her vision will start blurring, he/she will start seeing irreal creatures, everything around he/she will catch fire, and finally he/she will commit suicide. If you played Eternal Darkness or Amnesia, then you'll know what I mean. (optional)
  • Drunkness: If the player drinks too much alcohol, his/her vision will start blurring and his/her abilities and attributes will be lowered.
  • Roofs: The player cannot see inside buildings until he/she gets inside. Although it's a gameplay disadvantage, it's more realistic. (optional, same as tall grass)
I took this from an earlier reply I posted in another topic.
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

I've got some new ideas:
  • The player's footsteps volume should be inversely proportional to his/her Move Silent skill (the more skilled you are in it, the less audible your footsteps will be in-game).
  • The player will deal more damage if he/she strikes an enemy when it's not aware of his/her presence.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Update: OK, first minor update to the list. I did add some "wishes", both from me and from others that I've seen around here in this forum. I also added two new "sections" to the list - "Bestiary" (wished for mobs to fight in Book III), and "Atmospherics" (wished for game "atmosphere" elements in Book III).

This is still not a major update yet, though - I still have to go through the recent wishlists posted here, as well as some of the earlier wishlists posted to the Book II forum, to see what I need to add to the 'wishlist'.

(Note: I do not promise to add every suggestion to this 'wishlist' - anything that I think would damage the gameplay of Book III, or which I think is beyond the scope of the Eschalon series (or the Book III engine), will not be added to this list. But I'll try to get most recent 'wishlist' suggestions added to the list soon..)