COMPREHENSIVE Book III 'Wishlist' (List form)

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: COMPREHENSIVE Book III 'Wishlist' (List form)

Post by IJBall »

Jedi_Learner wrote:What about the ability to unlearn a spell from your journal? I can't find it on the list.
I think I considered adding that to the wishlist at one time, but decided that if you didn't have the ability to do that in Books I & II, you shouldn't suddenly get the ability to switch out spells like that in Book III either.

I'll just settle for the ability to "blank out" a line in the Quick-Spell slots...

(Also, having Meditation included in the formula to determine how many spells you can learn (e.g. making the formula (# of spells learned) = (1/2)((INT or WIS) + Meditation) instead of just (# of spells learned) = (1/2)(INT or WIS) I think would go a long way towards making people happier with the 'spell cap' situation seen in Book II...)
BrianLeichty42
Initiate

Post by BrianLeichty42 »

How about adding Dual-Weapon Wielding(able to use two Single-Handed Weapons at the same time).
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

BrianLeichty42 wrote:How about adding Dual-Weapon Wielding(able to use two Single-Handed Weapons at the same time).
Discussed elsewhere on this forum - suffice it to say, it's very likely not going to happen in the Eschalon series...

Also, very minor Update (01/04/12) to the Wishlist, to fix a few minor editing issues with a few of the entries.
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Post by raverdave2k »

One thing I would like to see changed which has really annoyed me in both games and a quick search seems to suggest has not been mentioned is realated to the issue of not being able to use a torch while carrying a sheild.

I've no probelm with the fact that you can only use one or the other at a time but having to keep going into your inventory and moving the shield off is down right annoying.

I think the torch button should act as a toggle which merely disables a shields usefullness when you light a torch, probably with a warning displayed the first time you do this in a game.
My modifications for Eschalon Book I: RaverDave's Book I Mod
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

All previous versions avaliable here
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

That would surely stop cheating. The exploit is so good that I basically never run into random encounters, if not counting a few Bonebiters in Broken Blade (and a horde of trolls in Mistfell Northern Coast!).

Good to see this topic alive again!
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Jedi_Learner wrote:Does anyone think camping might need to be looked at? Currently you can use this exploit to avoid being ambushed while camping in both games.

What about changing the interface to something like this?
You are about to camp. Time will advance rapidly allowing you to regain Hit Points and Mana Points quicker. The longer you rest, the greater chance you have of been caught by a random encounter.

Camp for Eight Hours | Camp for Sixteen Hours | Cancel
Making players camp at fixed times decreases the waiting time for the player while their health and mana regenerate and increases the chance of being ambushed. It also removes the exploit I mentioned at the top of this post.
I would be pretty strongly against doing this.

Firstly, at this point, I really don't (and I think most people don't) want to see major (or even moderate) monkeying with the game setup/gameplay. (The only exception to that, on my end, is wanting to see a Fatigue game-option added, as I've been wanting it since Book I - but that would be a game-option that people could choose to not play with.)

Secondly, I actually don't have a problem with the "waking up from camping" trick, because I think it's somewhat "real" - a smart adventurer might actually wake up every few hours during the night to take a look around and make sure nothing "bad" has entered the area and is trying to "sneak up" on camp.

So, while I wouldn't mind what you're suggesting in another BasiliskGames game, I'm pretty set with not changing the 'camping' gameplay this late in this series. FWIW.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

You could also think of a timer that prevents you from resting if you've just had a rest.
Forcing players to take an exact amount of rest isn't really elegant, and 16 hours is an unrealistic amount as well.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

First of all, how important is it really to fix this exploit? If you're willing to cheat, there are plenty of other ways to do it.

If you do want to fix it, though, I don't think it would require changing the interface. If the game is only checking for random encounters every hour, say, then it should only allow you to exit resting on the hour. When you press escape, it would continue to the end of the hour, check for an encounter, then exit camp mode.
RPGamer
Apprentice

Post by RPGamer »

Necromis wrote:

Fourth, I'd like to see more/different quest choices available in the main quest plot that allow you more freedom of choice and allow you to get to the end along different paths.
Well, the other games weren't as open ended. why? in my opinion, I think BW had to do this to connect the stories. If you had the option of destroying the cruxes before the last area of book II, you wouldn't connect to book III, if you didn't end the war in thaeremore, the goblins would have made their way to the other countries and book II wouldn't make much sense. Book III is the end, and likely, you will be able to make options that give it a different ending, hopefully.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

What I think is meant is that there could have been different routes to the same outcome.
In Book II, for example, you have the Secret Society and you have Sparrow. They have become different parties. Who do you believe? Book II doesn't let you make a choice here. There could have been an option to believe Sparrow, and cooperate with her instead of Korren.
The outcome at the end of Book II could still have been similar.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

IJBall wrote:
Jedi_Learner wrote:Does anyone think camping might need to be looked at? Currently you can use this exploit to avoid being ambushed while camping in both games.

What about changing the interface to something like this?
You are about to camp. Time will advance rapidly allowing you to regain Hit Points and Mana Points quicker. The longer you rest, the greater chance you have of been caught by a random encounter.

Camp for Eight Hours | Camp for Sixteen Hours | Cancel
Making players camp at fixed times decreases the waiting time for the player while their health and mana regenerate and increases the chance of being ambushed. It also removes the exploit I mentioned at the top of this post.
I would be pretty strongly against doing this.

Firstly, at this point, I really don't (and I think most people don't) want to see major (or even moderate) monkeying with the game setup/gameplay. (The only exception to that, on my end, is wanting to see a Fatigue game-option added, as I've been wanting it since Book I - but that would be a game-option that people could choose to not play with.)

Secondly, I actually don't have a problem with the "waking up from camping" trick, because I think it's somewhat "real" - a smart adventurer might actually wake up every few hours during the night to take a look around and make sure nothing "bad" has entered the area and is trying to "sneak up" on camp.

So, while I wouldn't mind what you're suggesting in another BasiliskGames game, I'm pretty set with not changing the 'camping' gameplay this late in this series. FWIW.
Too many good points... :( In the end I would be siding with original camping.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

The system is potentially exploitable, if you love clicking a lot, but overall I don't think it's broken so I'd recommend sticking with camping as it's been for the first two Books.

I would like it if a night in the inn also allowed for repairs, though. Not foraging, clearly, but why wouldn't you take the time to sharpen your blade and stitch your gloves and belt and such? In that case, you'd calculate the time from whenever you bought the room to 8 the next morning. Maybe that's the difficult added calculation BW wanted to avoid, though.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:...I would like it if a night in the inn also allowed for repairs, though. Not foraging, clearly, but why wouldn't you take the time to sharpen your blade and stitch your gloves and belt and such? In that case, you'd calculate the time from whenever you bought the room to 8 the next morning. Maybe that's the difficult added calculation BW wanted to avoid, though.
Seems like it's likely it would just be a sub-routine that could be just as easily triggered from an inn-stay as from regular camping. The only issue that I could see is that the inn-stay might involve a pre-determined (but variable) amount of time resting. If that's potentially too complex an issue for BW to deal with, he could just pre-set every inn-visit to a "set" amount of 'Repair time' (say, 8 hours).
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Jedi_Learner wrote:
KillingMoon wrote:You could also think of a timer that prevents you from resting if you've just had a rest.
Doesn't come across as very elegant to me. What if you want to repair your equipment and go foraging?
I never found it logical that you had to rest to do these things, but even then I don't quite get your point. Why would you want to take multiple short rests for repair and foraging - instead of one longer one?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

KillingMoon wrote:
Jedi_Learner wrote:
KillingMoon wrote:You could also think of a timer that prevents you from resting if you've just had a rest.
Doesn't come across as very elegant to me. What if you want to repair your equipment and go foraging?
I never found it logical that you had to rest to do these things, but even then I don't quite get your point. Why would you want to take multiple short rests for repair and foraging - instead of one longer one?
Foraging I could understand being able to do to a small extent while traveling, but repair certainly requires that you camp. You can't exactly stitch up your boots while you're walking in them.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.