Weapon swapping - preferred book 1

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
sterno
Pledge

Weapon swapping - preferred book 1

Post by sterno »

Finished book 1 over the holiday and am probably 70% through book 2. Just wanted to give one suggestion for book 3.

I liked the weapon swapping a lot better in book 1 than the set configuration in book 2. In book 2, I find that I forget to update both sets when I pick up a new piece of armor, ring, etc. Then I hit the button to swap between bow and sword, and I end up wasting 3 rounds as it also swaps some pants and a ring, or whatever.

Plus, it was nice having the slot on the paper doll for your alternate weapon. Maybe it's just me, and due to having played book 1 immediately before book 2, but I've accidentally sold my alternate weapon a few times because I thought it was just another extra item in my inventory.

The two don't have to be mutually exclusive though. You could still have set configurations AND weapon swapping. Best of both worlds.

If I had to have just one or the other, though, I definitely preferred book 1. Book 2's swapping UI just takes me a lot more work for the same effect, since the only thing I tend to swap is weapon anyway.
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: Weapon swapping - preferred book 1

Post by IJBall »

sterno wrote:Finished book 1 over the holiday and am probably 70% through book 2. Just wanted to give one suggestion for book 3.

I liked the weapon swapping a lot better in book 1 than the set configuration in book 2. In book 2, I find that I forget to update both sets when I pick up a new piece of armor, ring, etc. Then I hit the button to swap between bow and sword, and I end up wasting 3 rounds as it also swaps some pants and a ring, or whatever.

Plus, it was nice having the slot on the paper doll for your alternate weapon. Maybe it's just me, and due to having played book 1 immediately before book 2, but I've accidentally sold my alternate weapon a few times because I thought it was just another extra item in my inventory.

The two don't have to be mutually exclusive though. You could still have set configurations AND weapon swapping. Best of both worlds.

If I had to have just one or the other, though, I definitely preferred book 1. Book 2's swapping UI just takes me a lot more work for the same effect, since the only thing I tend to swap is weapon anyway.
Yeah, I'm thinking about adding something like this to the Book III wishlist.

Perhaps we could go back to the RETURN/ENTER key just switching the primary weapons and the secondary weapon, and then have some other key-combination (e.g. CTRL-1, CTRL-2) be used to switch entire weapon&armor sets.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

sterno wrote:I liked the weapon swapping a lot better in book 1 than the set configuration in book 2. In book 2, I find that I forget to update both sets when I pick up a new piece of armor, ring, etc. Then I hit the button to swap between bow and sword, and I end up wasting 3 rounds as it also swaps some pants and a ring, or whatever.

Same here. I preferred the simpler system in Book 1 also. I'm always forgetting to update my configurations after selling/upgrading pieces, and when I go to swap from bows to swords to finish off the approaching enemy, I'm suddenly missing key armor pieces! And the enemy is right on top of me, so I have no time to react!
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Yass yass! Another +1 over here; I basically never used the equipment swap in Book 2 because I'd always forget to update the configurations after acquiring new gear, and otherwise having it have undesirable consequences.

What I think would be great, actually, is something along these lines:
idea.png
idea.png (68.32 KiB) Viewed 4899 times
So in that example, when you swapped to the secondary equipment, it'd change out your two rings and also de-equip your primary weapon, but leave everything else alone. That would make it pretty easy to set up a "melee" preset and a "spellcasting" preset, for instance, without having to worry about updating each every time you find a new cloak, etc, and it's more powerful than the Book 1 idea of only being able to auto-swap your weapon.