Am I trapped?

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Glossome
Apprentice

Am I trapped?

Post by Glossome »

Was going through Moonrise Underground, spoke to the beholder-lookin' thing and I said things it didn't like.

So ... I managed to escape the immediate area, but now can't get through the double-gates on the way out (only the far one is open). Am I effectively trapped or is there some sort of secret I'm missing? I'm guessing the only solution is to hit the first lever before being oublietted, but hoping there's another way. I'd only lose about forty-five minutes of playtime, but would like to avoid that if possible.

Any assistance is much appreciated!
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Am I trapped?

Post by Randomizer »

Use an editor to move you is your only hope at this point.

Unless you prearrange to have the double gate set properly or destroy a gate, you can't get out.
Glossome
Apprentice

Post by Glossome »

Heh, figured that was the case. Ah, well ... that'll teach me to --nevermind, no it won't. Heh ..

Thanks!
devinv
Apprentice

Post by devinv »

terrible. I'm in the same place. Guess I'm using the editor.
Palog
Marshall

Post by Palog »

But there's a solution without cheating. Took me some time but it's not complicated. The point is what I find will require some tools. As it's an official secret area there was necessary a solution.
[+] SPOILER
Use something that explodes by aiming the torch on the other side. I used a fireball level 6 and it triggered the lever behind the grate and free the escape.

Some other solution around exploding could probably works as some explosive potion with the same aiming, or perhaps put a barrel but I don't think so. There's perhaps another way or even perhaps that way is a bug. :-)
severian
Senior Steward

Post by severian »

[+] SPOILER
explosives usually do the trick - fireball or powder keg.
I saw this coming, so I`ve destroyed the gates earlier with kegs.
Palog
Marshall

Post by Palog »

Are you sure severian?
[+] SPOILER
Woo I didn't even thought that was wood breakable doors, are you sure? Because the point here is explosion trigger the lever not destroy the door.
severian
Senior Steward

Post by severian »

Palog wrote:Are you sure severian?
[+] SPOILER
Woo I didn't even thought that was wood breakable doors, are you sure? Because the point here is explosion trigger the lever not destroy the door.
[+] SPOILER
yup, I`m sure - explosives do shift levers, blow torches and things like that.
as I wasn`t sure if it will work on that specific gate, I`ve destroyed it before.
Palog
Marshall

Post by Palog »

[+] SPOILER
So all those non wood gates can be blow up? Because many look the same. Or it's just an exception? The passage to the end part could then be done totally with some blow up of such gates?
severian
Senior Steward

Post by severian »

Palog wrote:
[+] SPOILER
So all those non wood gates can be blow up? Because many look the same. Or it's just an exception? The passage to the end part could then be done totally with some blow up of such gates?
[+] SPOILER
Iron gates can be destroyed with kegs. It`s an old trick - it was required to go further deep in Fathmurk in add-on to Eschalon 2
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

severian wrote:
Palog wrote:
[+] SPOILER
[+] SPOILER
Iron gates can be destroyed with kegs. It`s an old trick - it was required to go further deep in Fathmurk in add-on to Eschalon 2
[+] SPOILER
What he Severian said. And portcullis can be blown up if, and only if, the powder keg is placed directly underneath the gate before it is closed. When you close the gate on it, it is destroyed.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Glossome
Apprentice

Post by Glossome »

And there I was, stuck, without any power kegs or magical ability beyond L.5 Gravedigger's Flame. So yeah, it appears I was indeed well and truly trapped. Fortunately I'm fairly good at making regular and separate saves (having (re-)learned that lesson the hard way many, many times). Only took me a little over half and hour to get back to where I was and do it correctly/successfully.

Also, thanks for the tip about using kegs underneath the porticullises (porticulli?) as I wasn't aware that anything other than fences and most wooden barriers could be blown up with them.
Palog
Marshall

Post by Palog »

Vroqren thanks for the clear explanation and that's why it can't be used against any metal gate. I haven't played the Book 2 extension that's probably why I didn't knew it/wasn't forced to discover it. Frankly the other trick I mention isn't fully logical and found it just because I was totally stuck. :-) It made me wonder if I couldn't have used it in more cases.