Just finish it

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Stephane
Initiate

Just finish it

Post by Stephane »

Ok I've just finish the game as a Ranger/Alchimist

After having played Eschalon I and II, I am a bit disapointed as it's really a light version.
I've finished the game in less then 11 hours game, which sound nothing compare to the amount of time in book I & II.

I am really looking for players mod and worlds to add to it. This may increase a LOT the game play and make the game more "Complete".

It's a nice game, just after over a year waiting for it, I was hoping for a bit more...
Stephane
Initiate

Re: Just finish it

Post by Stephane »

Ok I think I've found what went wrong...I actually killed really easily the guy which was blocking the way for the dragon...

For a key person in the game, it should have a REALLY high HP.

As it was really easy to kill with a bow, which let me end the game really early without even knowing it.
severian
Senior Steward

Post by severian »

[+] SPOILER
there is always a lever for opening/closing dungeon entrance.
I don`t know wether it works if I kill The Warlord before even talking to him, but it works after.

It seems it`s a workaround for failing Mirkland quest.
I possibly could just buy the pass, break into private quarters with explosives, and pull the lever
kelticpete
Council Member

Post by kelticpete »

You can finish the game pretty quickly, I believe. I am not sure how many widgets it takes to end the game, or if you even need them. I think you need some cruxes, but it automatically ends when you talk to the prisoner.

I was really glad I had just saved my game when I talked to him so that I did not have to reload too far. I had not gotten jack of all trades or wealthy lord or three of the secret areas. which I did when I went and reloaded.

as for your post, no disrespect if english is not your first language. but here is the correct grammar it is really OCD of me but here it is. the actually heading is misspelled:

Just finished the game:

Ok, I've just finished the game as a Ranger/Alchemist

After having played Eschalon I and II, I am a bit disappointed as it's really a light version in comparsion. I finished the game in less than 11 hours of real time playing, which is nothing compared to the amount of time I spent in book I & II.

I am really looking forward to players mod and worlds to add to it. This may increase the game play value a lot and make the game feel more "complete".

It's a nice game, just after over a year waiting for it, I was hoping for a bit more...
pete comment: I agree. I was pretty short. I also look forward to mods and official add-ons.
Pax,

Pete

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is the Great Pink Vorpal Bunny. Copy and paste Pink Vorpal Bunny on your signature to help gain Pink Vorpal Bunny gain world domination!
KFX
Pledge

Post by KFX »

I too finished Book 3 just now. Huge disappointment. Short, clearly rushed, anticlimactic ending. This feels like it's less than half the size of either of the previous Eschalon games. I saw maybe dozen quests during the entire playthrough, previous games had, what, forty? Fifty? When I stumbled through the endgame I felt like I had completed a third of the game at most - a situation not helped by the weird way the game would give you trivial-sounding quests in the early game ("kill this ghost", "fetch nuts from this tree") that cannot be completed before you're at the endgame area already. Why would anyone bother completing a minor sidequest from ten hours ago when he could just walk a little bit further and beat the game? End of the entire game is way too late to care about some random shopkeeper's nuts.

Final battle was terrible by the way. Dozens of AI-controlled allies and enemies, each one of which is more powerful than you are, fight between themselves and there's nothing for you to do other than run in circles and wait until it's over. What's wrong with putting a boss at the end and letting me kill that boss without outside interference? It worked the last couple times just fine.

Even the balance seemed to be off, which is weird because it should be identical to previous games. I tried to make a hybrid character like I did in the previous two games but ended up Dazzling Flame/Sparks-cheesing everything since even with 15 points in Swords and quite a lot in physical stats I never managed to hit anything with a melee attack after the first few hours. Looks like melee is useless unless you massively minmax yourself for it. Spot Hidden didn't do anything other than detect traps, while in previous games it would let you find hidden stashes all over the place - lack of these is another sign of a rushjob. This one desperately needed another couple months in the kitchen.

At least the Cartographer bug is finally dealt with though. :|
okashii
Senior Steward

Post by okashii »

kelticpete wrote:You can finish the game pretty quickly, I believe. I am not sure how many widgets it takes to end the game, or if you even need them. I think you need some cruxes, but it automatically ends when you talk to the prisoner.
From my experience, you need a minimum of two widgets and one crux to finish the game.
Book III can be speedrun in an hour [approximately, since the in game timer is only accurate to a tenth of an hour.]
Stephane
Initiate

Post by Stephane »

I've finished the game without even knowing it, but when I look
yes I've had only 2 widgets and only 1 crux(The one you start the game with), and didn't even discover the Old moonrise or done half of the quest.

I discover the "Lord" and thought well there is free XP point from a guy who laught at me so I've kill him and the guards...
And here you go I've finished the game without even knowing it.

I've reloaded the game from a previous save point and dig more into this..
But I have to agree with KFX.

The new foraging make a Alchimist totally worthless. I was 15 in foraging (As I was a Ranger with a Bow first lvl 30), and even there I've died from starving like 3 or 4 times (Can't buy food, as you won't be a real ranger).

Dungeon never go deeper then 1 or 2 level, when I remember spending hours and hours in dungeons on Book II.

And yes the final was... I just stood behind my guys and shoot arrows, didn't even moved from my spot.
Jaymann
Apprentice

Post by Jaymann »

The first couple times I finished I did not allow equipment degrade, and I used the money exploit so I could max out training and buy anything I wanted.

Went back and finished on hardcore and 100% legit (I was lucky enough to win the dice game on the first try). With a 103 initial roll plus mage power I eventually became all powerful.
Ssschah
Council Member

Post by Ssschah »

KFX wrote:I too finished Book 3 just now. Huge disappointment. Short, clearly rushed, anticlimactic ending. This feels like it's less than half the size of either of the previous Eschalon games. I saw maybe dozen quests during the entire playthrough, previous games had, what, forty? Fifty? When I stumbled through the endgame I felt like I had completed a third of the game at most - a situation not helped by the weird way the game would give you trivial-sounding quests in the early game ("kill this ghost", "fetch nuts from this tree") that cannot be completed before you're at the endgame area already. Why would anyone bother completing a minor sidequest from ten hours ago when he could just walk a little bit further and beat the game? End of the entire game is way too late to care about some random shopkeeper's nuts.

Final battle was terrible by the way. Dozens of AI-controlled allies and enemies, each one of which is more powerful than you are, fight between themselves and there's nothing for you to do other than run in circles and wait until it's over. What's wrong with putting a boss at the end and letting me kill that boss without outside interference? It worked the last couple times just fine.

Even the balance seemed to be off, which is weird because it should be identical to previous games. I tried to make a hybrid character like I did in the previous two games but ended up Dazzling Flame/Sparks-cheesing everything since even with 15 points in Swords and quite a lot in physical stats I never managed to hit anything with a melee attack after the first few hours. Looks like melee is useless unless you massively minmax yourself for it. Spot Hidden didn't do anything other than detect traps, while in previous games it would let you find hidden stashes all over the place - lack of these is another sign of a rushjob. This one desperately needed another couple months in the kitchen.

At least the Cartographer bug is finally dealt with though. :|
The idea is that you use the sidequests to level up so that when the final battle comes you can actually fight. Now that said, if you join Malkur's side there's really no point because his forces and stronger anyways.c