Cartography Skill Table

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Stalfos
Apprentice

Cartography Skill Table

Post by Stalfos »

I had nothing to do, so I recreated a new character, and tested out the Cartography skill, using the Cartography trainer in Arridell as a way to locate in memory the place where Cartography skill was saved... I did a little trainer and came up with those observation, and though they might be useful to the community.

Level -- Description of what I noticed (the "???" are the place where I didn't see anything noticable)
__01 -- Border (brown) appear on map. They include walls, tree lines, unwalkable path...
__02 -- The tree are now green.
__03 -- All that is "walkable" get light-green, including dirt road, paved road, inside of building.
__04 -- Nothing noticable, or do I now see farther, draw faster?
__05 -- Paved road are now grey, the water is now blue and there are details (dark brown) on map, such as trunks, road signs, etc...
__06 -- ???
__07 -- Road/dirt path are now in a pale brown color. (NOTE : Getting to this point is easy and does not cost a single Skill point, more on that later, see ***).
__08 -- ???
__09 -- Doorways are now in bright green.
__10 -- ???
__11 -- ???
__12 -- Chest/Dresser are in gold yellow.
__13 -- ???
__14 -- ??? Somewhere around here lever appears in blue, and misc. container in red.
__15 -- ???
__16 -- Red (dark red) dots appears for the NPC and monster
__17 -- ???

I kinda stopped at that point, thinking that nothing could be added to the map. I tested at 30, nothing else was added, so I think 17 is the "last" level.

*** As for the "free" level 7 in cartography, you must do the "drunk man quest" in Aridell, by getting back his sextant. Then, you can pay to learn up to level 5 (100 gold per level upgrade, so 200 for level 2, 300 for level 3 and so on). That is costly, yup! After having level 5, you can read the book "Mapping your World" to give you 2 more level. That book might be though to find though.

So, if I did any mistake (and I must have, I'm not perfect!!), you might wanna add some info on this thread.
Last edited by Stalfos on July 20th, 2008, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyrkali
Freelance Web Developer @ NickoLabs
Dr. G
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Re: Cartography Skill Table

Post by Dr. G »

Yet another reason to max out Cartography at earlier levels.

In your description Stalfos, you have 7 ????, which means you did not notice any change in the mapping skill in 7 levels, that means 7 skill points, almost 2.3 level ups, so if you level up, and want to invest your scarce skill points, choosing cartography is not a good option, I strongly suggest that for BookII Cartography maxes out at about level 7.

Kind Regards.
Stalfos
Apprentice

Post by Stalfos »

I might have noticed nothing, but maybe there is some change: I did my test in Aridell, where I might not have seen a particular map element that would have appeared elsewhere (traps, switches, stairways, bones/corpse, etc...) so my "???" are to take with parsimony. ^^

Still, getting the skill to 5 throught the trainer and to 7 with a skill book is the best way to save those much needed skill point, and since I wouldn't recommend raising the skill any higher (due to the cost/effectiveness of the skill point - you're better off by putting 5 point in your weapon skill), cartography 7 is pretty much all that is needed for a nice and useful map... though 1 can be enough for some! ;)

If anyone notice something that I didn't (I doubt someone will level up a char just to see the map :D), feel free to correct me!
Hyrkali
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

Helpful post, thanks.

I did notice that I'm seeing monsters show up as red dots with only 16 Cartography. Right now I have 1 skill point, boosting to 16 with L5 reveal map casting.
I'm also getting levers marked blue, and some other items (skeletal remains containers, the stump container at start, etc) marked red.
Zorlac
Apprentice

Post by Zorlac »

Thanks for the list. Interesting.

Can you take a screen shot of level 17 Cartography and post it?

Zorlac
Stalfos
Apprentice

Post by Stalfos »

You are right that I did not noted down the lever in blue, and the misc loot container in red... There wasn't near me when I did my test. :? If you could tell me on what level you got them, I will edit the first post...

As for the screen shot...
ImageI didn't knew what you precisely wanted to see...

By the way, if you are looking for a BIG map, and stumble on this post by accident, check this one... http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... 5311#p5311
or that one
http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... 099#p12099
Hyrkali