Complete Puzzle List [MAJOR SPOILERS]

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Jinx
Apprentice

Complete Puzzle List [MAJOR SPOILERS]

Post by Jinx »

Just finished the game, it was incredible, loved every second of it. Quite literally the most fun I've had in an RPG for years.

Anyway, this is a call-out to all those OCD solve-everything gamers to help me build a list to see if I'm missing anything. For example, I'll get this thread started:

WARNING: THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS HERE.

Portcullis killing: You can kill creatures with the portcullis, but only receive 25 exp

Easter Eggs: There are 3 easter eggs. Upon retrieving all 3, placing them in the candelabra thing in Shadowmirk will level you. For the record, sadly, I had to look up the "apple" part of that quest. I thought it was looking for the acorn, but I turned that in for the quest and I thought I may be out of luck.

Killing Lillith reward AND the sword: If you take the quest to kill Lillith from that shady guy in the Blackwater inn, go kill Lillith, then loot the repository chest her amulet opens, then give that shady guy the amulet and collect your reward. This was the coolest twist and fun way to play a quest that I've ever seen. You get the gold and the thing he wanted. I am still laughing about it.

Locked Chest in Goblin Tower: The code is 66, obtained by talking to the goblin in the Hive Queen's cave

Lever Puzzle in the Hive Queen Cave: I solved this by just treating it like 6 bits and figured there must only be 64 combinations. That was assuming that they didn't need to be turned on in any order. Was there a better way to figure this out? Anyway, then there is a chest that says open with S T E E L. I just figured out how many letters into the alphabet each letter was, then added those values together (68 I think). Then it was just gold. Kinda sad about that, I was expecting something amazing.

Gems in Hive Queen Cave: There are many gems in this cave, but you need a high Spot Hidden to see them. I've personally found a huge emerald and some diamond chips (or maybe it was emeralds). (Thanx BasiliskWrangler)

Secret Door wall in the Cemetery: There's a secret (false) door in the far south room (has 3 bats in it) in the far SE corner that leads to a lab that contains the book that the magic vendor woman (Abygale) wants in Aridell. For the record, the coolest part of this door was that I found it because an injured bat was running from me and he ran through it in an effort to escape.

Ossuary locked coffin: I can't remember the code, but when you give the acorn to the tree in Tanglewood, he will tell you the number you need. Its a locked chest that kills you if you put in the wrong code. (thanx rocketman28)

Objects I think are worthless: Chronometer, weapon fragments, femur, skull, plates and cups, ink and pen

Lighthouse: I believe this was an unfinished, or undeveloped, quest, so lighting it to get 500exp is just free XP but serves no other purpose

Skill-based Items: I think everyone knows this, but I kept a large number of items with skill bonuses (ie. Lore +6 ring and two alchemy +3 rings to name a few) and just put them on as needed. For example, I bumped Alchemy up to 9, then would just put the two Alchemy +3 rings on to craft at Alchemy 15. I would also put on my +5 meditation amulet before resting or while just exploring, then swap in my combat amulet as needed. It would be cool to have "outfits" saved and hotkeyed, so you could easily swap in different outfits as needed.

6 coffins outside Ossuary: Did these mean anything? I thought maybe they tied in to helping you figure out the 6 lever puzzle in the Hive Queen cave, but if not that, anyone find a use for them?

NPC's hate your enemies: On one occasion, I ran back 5 thugs into Bordertown and the Archery and Alchemy NPC's housed them. All you need is the killing blow to get the XP.

Enemies hate your enemies: Thugs hate slimes. I don't know if all creatures are hostile towards each other, but at one point, I had 7 slimes chasing me, and I ran into some thugs. I ran off screen and came back to find them fighting. Yet another time I mused at just how cool this game is.

Odd key: I never used this. Maybe I picked the lock it went to. Anyone know what it goes to?

See where I'm going with this? Did I miss any secret doors, etc? Let's build the ultimate list :)

*j
Last edited by Jinx on June 9th, 2008, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Complete Puzzle List [MAJOR SPOILERS]

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I am not going to give away all the secrets I know, but one thing that I haven't ever seen mentioned by others is that there are a few gems hidden in Whistling Cave. You need to have a decent "Spot Hidden" skill, and then comb the edges of the cave. There are a few quality gems to be found hidden in the walls.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
rocketman28
Senior Steward

Post by rocketman28 »

You need the ossarary code to the coffin and the abandend house in tangletree forest.
krisklef
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by krisklef »

[quote="BasiliskWrangler"]I am not going to give away all the secrets I know, but one thing that I haven't ever seen mentioned by others is that there are a few gems hidden in Whistling Cave. You need to have a decent "Spot Hidden" skill, and then comb the edges of the cave. There are a few quality gems to be found hidden in the walls.

Actually, I was able to find a bunch with a relatively low spot hidden (3?). After that, I sort of remembered where they were and managed to find all of them with some patience and a Spot Hidden level 1!! 8)
krisklef
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:I am not going to give away all the secrets I know, but one thing that I haven't ever seen mentioned by others is that there are a few gems hidden in Whistling Cave. You need to have a decent "Spot Hidden" skill, and then comb the edges of the cave. There are a few quality gems to be found hidden in the walls.
I know of two big emeralds, two big rubies, one big diamond, about a dozen small emeralds and almost as many small rubies, and half-a-dozen diamond chips.

And don't forget the Evil Amulet. :wink:
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
VPeric
Steward

Post by VPeric »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:I am not going to give away all the secrets I know, but one thing that I haven't ever seen mentioned by others is that there are a few gems hidden in Whistling Cave. You need to have a decent "Spot Hidden" skill, and then comb the edges of the cave. There are a few quality gems to be found hidden in the walls.
Sadly enough, that's one of the few places Spot Hidden is used at all (that I've found, of course). There's a few spots near the beginning, and maybe the occasional secret cache later on, but nothing too important. IMHO, the skill is not a particulary great investment of skill points (and the fact that spotting stuff is random doesn't help).
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

VPeric wrote:
Sadly enough, that's one of the few places Spot Hidden is used at all (that I've found, of course). There's a few spots near the beginning, and maybe the occasional secret cache later on, but nothing too important. IMHO, the skill is not a particulary great investment of skill points (and the fact that spotting stuff is random doesn't help).
I don't know. I certainly like spotting traps before I step on them, and even right at the beginning it doesn't hurt to have those extra two gems to get you started with a little money. Of course, Hawk Eye rings are as good as skill points, if you can find them.
---

Jinx
Apprentice

Post by Jinx »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
I know of two big emeralds, two big rubies, one big diamond, about a dozen small emeralds and almost as many small rubies, and half-a-dozen diamond chips.

And don't forget the Evil Amulet. :wink:
What is the Evil Amulet? I don't think I've found that, but not sure...
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Jinx wrote:What is the Evil Amulet? I don't think I've found that, but not sure...
You can find or buy Evil Amulets. They add +2 or +3 to your damage, if I recall correctly. I usually just sell them. There's one to be found in the caves, if you don't mind disturbing a WHOLE LOTTA bloodsippers.
---

Eschalonian
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Eschalonian »

krisklef wrote: Actually, I was able to find a bunch with a relatively low spot hidden (3?). After that, I sort of remembered where they were and managed to find all of them with some patience and a Spot Hidden level 1!! 8)
How do you know you found all of them?
Jinx
Apprentice

Post by Jinx »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
Jinx wrote:What is the Evil Amulet? I don't think I've found that, but not sure...
You can find or buy Evil Amulets. They add +2 or +3 to your damage, if I recall correctly. I usually just sell them. There's one to be found in the caves, if you don't mind disturbing a WHOLE LOTTA bloodsippers.
Ahh, I remember that room. I didn't do anything in there to "disturb" the bats, I figured it was just to set the mood. Time to go back and cause a ruckus.
rocketman28
Senior Steward

Post by rocketman28 »

you should but some info on things you can find and bye(I had a list of some wepons armor and rings but I deleted it) :oops:
Elveronion
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Elveronion »

some grave stones have jokes on them. well, not joke but they are humerous.
Dr. G
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Dr. G »

Here are some of my comments:

1. Portcullis Killing: It is better to kill salamanders with this trap, as when you kill thm you only get 8 exp, but with the trap 25 exp, with the bloodsippers it is either way, cause killing them you also get 25 exp.

2. Killing Lilith: Yes you can laugh a lot.... but later on the game the guy finds you... (He found me near Aridell) and you get to fight him and 3 other Mercenaries (a pretty good fight I must say) and get a lot of exp. regretably being a thief you would expect a great drop.

3. About the levers, there is another post around that has the exact combination.

4. Gems in the Cave: lots of them, suggestion get a Hawkeye ring (spot hidden+3) if you have enough money get two SH+6 and you will probably find all of them, I personally found 4 Big Gems (2 red ones 2 green ones) lots of the small ones, not sure if there is afixed number, or if it is randomly set.

5. 6 coffinsoutside the ossuary: no intention at all, just fun descriptions (some ones are pretty sad as well)

6. Some general gameplay suggestions on my behalf:

- Don't pay to get things identified, identification costs almost half the price of the object, and then you can sell it (if you have some skill in mercantile) for half the price +10 or 20% the most, so you don't earn almost anything, it is better to find or buy a Lore master ring and the identify evertytihng for free, and then sell every thing.
- Keep unidentified objects in safe places: such as the drawer in the room you sleep at Aridell, both drawers in Blackwater, cause if you carry everything with you... won't get very far...
- Some skills that are not very useful IMHO:
- Lore (you can get 2 Loremasters rings (lore+12 nothing can stand that)
- Mercantile (not preceptible diference in prices unless you get a very high skill, there is an amulet that gives you +3)
- Spot hidden, at the begginning helps you find important stuff that you can sell and get money, but besides that, and detecting traps (which you can do if you have 1 skill and move around a lot) it has no other use... (two rings +6)
- Dodge IMHO (I got this skill and put a lot into cause was playing an alchemist/fighter and sounded cool got an amulet +6, but in the end did not feel much difference as when I was not wearing the amulet)....
- Cartography, can be learned, there are sandals +3 an amulet + 2 but if you change them, then you forget what you had before on your map, a bit dull this is. and there are many levels 17 to max out, and as another post mentioned, differences are not very perceptible.
These are all IMHO

I can't think of any more suggestions right now.... but if I get anymore ideas I'll get back to this post.
Variol
Apprentice

Post by Variol »

Evil amulets only give a +1 damage bonus; which is fine if you have no other amulets, otherwise..