A Beta Tester's Observations

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
gragnak
Senior Steward

Post by gragnak »

Well, I think you should read here: http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37018

From wht's reported in this interview it seems we'll never play a good FallOut sequel.....

What do you think?

P.S:
I think I'm going a bit off topic, so Basilisk, if you think tha same, please move me to another thread.
furor vincit omnia
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

New thread made to continue FO3 discussion and keep the beta test thread intact:
http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=338
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
txa1265
Apprentice

Post by txa1265 »

gragnak wrote:I agree about old school games.
My last hope was Fallout 3 but considering what you can read on NO MUTANT ALLOWED site.... Bethesda is building up an Oblivion clone (first person and hybrid turn based....).
I don't think we want to over-run this thread on *that* topic ;)
gragnak wrote:So we can only put our wishes on independent rpgs
To that I think we can agree :)
jinnes
Apprentice

Post by jinnes »

Hi Gallifrey:

Thanks for taking the time to give all this information. And hi, all, I'm new to posting but I've been lurking (and following Eschalon) for a while.

Gallifrey, would you mind commenting on the quest log/journal? I'm wondering how explicit the instructions given are. I'm not looking for handholding, but many games don't give enough information for you to remember what to do if you're away from the game for a week or so. So often, you get something like "Kill the rats and return their tails to Tom." What rats? Where's Tom? Instead, an entry like "Kill the rats east of Riverford and bring their tails back to Tom in the Riverford Inn" gives you the needed info without hand holding (no "big red arrow"). Sometimes in their desire to avoid hand holding, devs go too far in the other direction.

I guess that was opinion cloaked in a question... ;)

Thanks
-Jason
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

Your journal gives enough information to find your way around. Your second example is pretty close to what the quest log is like, giving you the locations pertinent to the quest, but you still have to find your way there, which can sometimes take a bit of exploration.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Gallifrey wrote:Your journal gives enough information to find your way around. Your second example is pretty close to what the quest log is like, giving you the locations pertinent to the quest, but you still have to find your way there, which can sometimes take a bit of exploration.
Are you permitted to give any info on what the starting town\area is like in the demo? Like maybe what the people are like? What kind of feel does the town have, are there any major issues going down?

Are the guards real tough and beat you up if you get caught stealing? I still remember getting my butt kicked for stealing by guards in Ultima III.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I can answer part of that for Gallifrey...no, he's not permitted to give anything away about the storyline, so he can't fully describe the "starting town\area". Also, the version he played wasn't 100% complete. There have been several changes made to the demo area since he played it.
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

So the aliens have not been added yet?;)
bargeral
Initiate

Post by bargeral »

I read that you can place items in containers, chests and such, but can you set them on the ground? And if so do they decay? Nothing bugs me more then not being able to reshuffle something just because I can't set something down for a second. I've been playing a certain high profile online game, and you can't pick up a container that would give you more inventory slots if your inventory is full. And since you can't set something down at all (only destroy it) you can't get the container without loosing something else first.
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

bargeral wrote:I read that you can place items in containers, chests and such, but can you set them on the ground? And if so do they decay? Nothing bugs me more then not being able to reshuffle something just because I can't set something down for a second. I've been playing a certain high profile online game, and you can't pick up a container that would give you more inventory slots if your inventory is full. And since you can't set something down at all (only destroy it) you can't get the container without loosing something else first.
Hehe, yeah, I know that feeling :wink:

I never tried setting things on the ground. There is considerable inventory room however, I suspect the PC will become over-encumbered before running out of inventory slots to fill.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

[Looks like Gallifrey and myself answered this at the exact same time!] :lol:

You cannot place items on the ground; dropping them from your inventory to the ground permanently deletes them.

As mentioned in the GameBanshee interview, we give the player close to 100 inventory slots so you are more likely going to be overburden weight-wise rather than run out of physical space in your inventory. I don't think any tester yet has run into the problem you've described. :)

And with this, I am locking this thread. Please move all questions back over to the Q&A. I think Gallifrey has answered about everything he is humanly able to based on the tiny bit of game he saw.

Thanks again to Gallifrey for his input! Awesome job man!