A Beta Tester's Observations

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
gragnak
Senior Steward

Post by gragnak »

Other questions....

I can't remember if I just asked this (so if I pose just answered question.... do not esitate to ignore this thread)

- Did you encountered weather effects during the demo play?
- If yes, can you describe them?
- Do you think thegame needs more work or, judging by the demo, it could be ready to play?
- If it needs more work, what would you change, implement, update?
- Can you describe the character creation? I'd be interested in the first steps (above all some hints about racial feats).
- Was there some gore effect? Monsters and people die with a lot of blood and some particular bloody effect (i.e.exploding heads like in Fallout)?
- When you gain a new level, is a distinctive sign shown on game menu (like a + sign or something similar)? In which way the game advise you of important character status changes?
- The damage dealt is shown after each hit?
- When you point the cursor over an enemy in combat turn, is the hit % shown?

Thanks a lot for your answers!!!
Ehi Basilisk, when do you think we could put our hand on the video preview?
furor vincit omnia
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

1) No weather effects, just time of day light changes
2) Honestly can't say if it needs more work or not. The demo is just a fragment of the larger whole, so it's not possible to comment on whether I think it's ready or not.
3) Character creation:
First you roll your stats, then you assign 15 points to flesh out the ones you want to focus on. Then you choose an Origin which gives you some further small stat modifiers. Then choose Axiom which applies some various modifiers to your character, be it an ability or other impact on your character. Then you choose Class which gives you a free skill. You can choose a portrait, name your character and choose your skills and you're done. I don't have more details on exact modifiers and such at the moment.
4) Not hugely gorey from what I saw, but I did notice that monsters exploded more when I killed them with a Fire Dart spell than when killed by conventional methods.
5) There's a + button on the screen that lights up when you gain a level, and I believe there's a sound effect to accompany it.
6 & 7) Yep, damage is shown on the "main" screen as well as giving you a readout of hits, misses, chances to hit and other modifiers in the feedback window at the bottom of the screen.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Additionally, on points 1,2 and 4:

1) Some rain code is in there, but not active. Don't know if we'll turn in on or not for the final game because it needs a bit of work and it is time better spent on other things. There is fog effects on some maps which looks pretty cool.

2) Gallifrey did talk to us about technical and mechanical issues he observed, and we've already added/altered some things based on his suggestions. Overall I was very please with his general reaction which is why I gave him special permission to talk about his experience. As for the game being ready to play, yes most of it is, but late game content, balancing and testing still remain.

4) Combat does leave blood on the ground which remains. Combat hits often cause a small spray of blood. When creatures die, there is a shower of gibs representing their death, then the body disappears rather than polluting the landscape for months (this is fairly standard for classic RPGs).
Last edited by BasiliskWrangler on June 19th, 2007, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
gragnak
Senior Steward

Post by gragnak »

Thanks guys!

Weather fxs are a good thing but I agree with you about other priorities.
Is it possible for Gallifrey (after permission by Baslisk) to post some screenshots of the game?
I'd like to see more character interface shots and some dungeon image with traps and hidden items revealed by related skill.

Thanks!
furor vincit omnia
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Sorry, our NDA with Gallifrey prohibits him from posting screen captures. However, we have a new interview this week with GameBanshee.com and we will give them a new screenshot to post with the article, and the trailer/video will be ready sometime in July...and of course, the game itself won't be too much longer!
gragnak
Senior Steward

Post by gragnak »

Srry to get nasty!
Good news Basilisk.

I'll wait patiently.

You are doing a good job here.
I hope you'll understand that all my impatience is driven by the good game you are creating.
furor vincit omnia
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Gallifrey wrote:1) I'd say medium. You can actively seek out fights and go head-strong into dangerous situations, but combat to the death is not always required, and some fights you can navigate around. But there is a fair bit of fighting still, but it's not wave after wave of baddies. --Good, Im ok with medium, games with wave after wave of baddies I just cant take (See Sacred).

2) Yes, I'd say so.

3) Periodic.

4) Yep, you sure can. And inventory management was good, for both vendor and PC. Not all vendors will buy everything, and when you go to sell you're shown the item's full worth, so you can gauge that against what the shopkeeper is willing to give you. I believe the Mercantile skill will help you here. You can see what a shopkeeper has for sale as well as how much money they have, too. -- I love the addition of being able to tell an item's base worth, very nice!

5) I made enough to get what I *needed* but perhaps not to get what I *wanted*. So accumulation isn't scarce but nor is it over the top.
-- Thanks, Im a bit of a stickler when it comes to gold and items, so many games make it way to easy to get gold and buy stuff, kind of ruins the value of the items.

Thanks again Gallifrey!

Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

No problem folks, glad to answer questions!

I think what the bottom line is this - that Eschalon is very nice, engaging, old-school styled fantasy RPG. It doesn't try to re-invent the genre or create anything new, but gives the player a solid RPG experience that suggests a lot of old-style gaming both in PnP and on the PC. It's fun, it's not "on rails", it gives the player options and an immersive environment in which to adventure.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Gallifrey wrote:No problem folks, glad to answer questions!

I think what the bottom line is this - that Eschalon is very nice, engaging, old-school styled fantasy RPG. It doesn't try to re-invent the genre or create anything new, but gives the player a solid RPG experience that suggests a lot of old-style gaming both in PnP and on the PC. It's fun, it's not "on rails", it gives the player options and an immersive environment in which to adventure.
Excellent, exactly what I am looking for. I have had enough new games coming out and saying things like "Re-inventing the RPG", or "RPG redefinied".

Give me old school all the way!
Gothmog
Marshall

Post by Gothmog »

A true RPG for us Veterans. I just say: Thank You BW and all the guys at Basilisk!!!
"FUL IR"
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Sorry, our NDA with Gallifrey prohibits him from posting screen captures. However, we have a new interview this week with GameBanshee.com and we will give them a new screenshot to post with the article, and the trailer/video will be ready sometime in July...and of course, the game itself won't be too much longer!
Just checked at GameBanshee site and couldn't find interview. When, if you know, will it be posted and/ or where on the site? I've been collecting the screenshots and l'd like to add the new one to my files. :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

I am actually answering the questions now and will probably send them back to GameBanshee tomorrow. They may not post the interview until later this week.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:I am actually answering the questions now and will probably send them back to GameBanshee tomorrow. They may not post the interview until later this week.
:oops: Okay, thanks.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
gragnak
Senior Steward

Post by gragnak »

I agree about old school games.
My last hope was Fallout 3 but considering what you can read on NO MUTANT ALLOWED site.... Bethesda is building up an Oblivion clone (first person and hybrid turn based....).

So we can only put our wishes on independent rpgs
furor vincit omnia
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

Actually I think FO3 is looking pretty solid, but I don't have a hope in all the circles of hell of being able to actually run that behemoth.