Patch 1.02

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Claw
Apprentice

Post by Claw »

Aww man, just when I started to love my overpowered Haste! Oh well, installing anyway.

Galahad wrote:I'm just surprised that I haven't heard of anybody else noticing it.
Well, it won't stop me from playing, so back to playing.!
Actually, it is mentioned in the Typos thread.

PS. By the way - I don't know why moving has to be so slow, the program gives me 9-10 speed evaluation, which should be alright, but still the hero moves much quicker down in the dungeon. And much too slow up in the sun, and after all a druid should be quickened by the sun!
I'm not sure what you mean, but I believe someone mentioned this may be a technical issue related to transparent sprites or something.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Galahad: Yes, that keyboard shortcut image is part of the graphics pak. I will need to figure out an easier way to patch that so everyone doesn't have to download a 30MB file just to get the keyboard shortcut screen to look correct! :) Also, try running the game in OpenGL, or 16-bit color. See if that speeds your game up.

Saxon1974: Inventory objects, like maps, get stored with your character's save, so changes I make in patches don't always show up in your saved game. Your Mithril Longsword is a perfect example. Because you already possess that version of the sword, it is stuck like that. I apologize. The next one you find in the game world should be the updated version.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
Saxon1974: Inventory objects, like maps, get stored with your character's save, so changes I make in patches don't always show up in your saved game. Your Mithril Longsword is a perfect example. Because you already possess that version of the sword, it is stuck like that. I apologize. The next one you find in the game world should be the updated version.
Aaarg, ok I thought that might be the case :(

Thank you for the quick response.
vid
Senior Steward

Post by vid »

just tried patch 1.02 and got a strange error when fighting two taurax in the northern crakamir region. one ran away from me and took course to the south border and then the following happened. (see image)

when i change the region and come back, it still looks the same.
i can try to attack it, but it is too far away.

also notice the ghost image of the fleeing taurax on the bottom right of my screen.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Yeah, this doesn't have anything to do with 1.02. This is an obscure bug that I saw once back in 1.0, and someone emailed me about with 1.01.

It has something to do with fleeing creatures reaching the map border and getting stuck in the great void.

I'm looking for a solution- unfortunately for now, that image of a million Taurax might be permanently stuck in the void of that map (or rather, until you start a new game). It shouldn't affect the game any.
Draaven
Pledge

Post by Draaven »

30mb for a patch is nothing these days, so I wouldn't worry about making it that large :) Look at the latest Two Worlds patch, is came in at 1.2gb 8-D
JOG
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by JOG »

JOG wrote:The "X"-key added by v1.01 doesn't seem to work anymore, found nothing else.
Okay, now I can reproduce it:

I had shift-lock active, and the key is caps-sensitive: "x" works fine but "X" doesn't...

And at the western exit of Northeastern Thaermore there is another spot at X=1/Y=91 where you're stuck in the woods at area change.

Oh, and obviously you forgot to add that "demotivation factor" common to games nowadays, this is the first game in a decade that I played for 13 hours without needing a break, not even a tiny litle crash. Heck, I almost forgot to eat something, tsk, tsk, tsk. :wink:
Skyleak
Initiate

Post by Skyleak »

I still laugh at the water animation flowing north/ NE. Guess it's part of the Fantasy lol.
PhilosophiX
Marshall

Post by PhilosophiX »

Skyleak wrote:I still laugh at the water animation flowing north/ NE. Guess it's part of the Fantasy lol.
What's so funny about that?
What is a man, If his chief good and market of his time Be but to sleep and feed? a beast, no more. Sure, he that made us with such large discourse, Looking before and after, gave us not that capability and god-like reason to fust in us unused.
Liandri
Pledge

Post by Liandri »

Just wanted to report, about save-games directory bug. Last time i posted here, i said that game crashes immediately after displaying black screen.
I decided to check the method with changing user's Documents directory path - after that game worked fine.
So, i just have to wait for the save-games bug to be fixed :)

Good luck!
moldar
Apprentice

Post by moldar »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Galahad: Yes, that keyboard shortcut image is part of the graphics pak. I will need to figure out an easier way to patch that so everyone doesn't have to download a 30MB file just to get the keyboard shortcut screen to look correct! :) Also, try running the game in OpenGL, or 16-bit color. See if that speeds your game up.
One method you can use is to have a "overrides" dir, which holds a copy of any patched files. Update the code to check the overrides dir first, and if a file isn't there, it checks the default location in the pak.

You may have already gotten around to looking at this, but just thought I would post on it.

Thanks!
Neilsouth
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Neilsouth »

Any idea of a date for the 1.03? , kinda hopeing its going to be soon :lol:
Zoggles
Initiate

Post by Zoggles »

Everything I noticed before 1.02 seems to now be fixed. Nice work on the quick patch.

Though it caught me out not being able to upgrade an enchantment after accidentally performing one without wearing my +3 alchemy ring.

-Z- - now on the lookout for new issues arrising from these fixes ;)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Yeah, 1.03 will be up later this week. :)
Skyleak
Initiate

Post by Skyleak »

PhilosophiX wrote:
Skyleak wrote:I still laugh at the water animation flowing north/ NE. Guess it's part of the Fantasy lol.
What's so funny about that?
Most rivers in the world flow South, it's unusual to see it flowing theoretically "up"