Pool of Radiance

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
sapper_astro
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by sapper_astro »

I heard much about Lands of Lore so when Westwood came out with LOL 2, I got it. Biggest mistake I ever did! That game sucks!
Played worse. It wasn't Lands of Lore 1, but really, it was an ok game. Especially next to some of the 'RPG's' that have been released in the past 5 years.
Bluthand
Initiate

PoR 2?

Post by Bluthand »

Anybody here played PoR 2 (except me)?
I did it years ago when PoR 2 came out. I never finished a game with that number of bugs so far. Looking back I must have been in a sligthly masochistic phase... :wink:
Nevertheless, AFAIR the turn based battles were kind of cool...

Regards,
B.
mkreku
Apprentice

Post by mkreku »

I still have my old Commodore 64 Gold Box games lying in an attic somewhere, including Pool of Radiance! But I bet they won't work anymore since they were magnetic and magnets don't last for all eternity.. I'm afraid to even try them anymore. They will be lost in time eventually.. :(
Mithter Thibbs
Initiate

Post by Mithter Thibbs »

There are some C64 emulation sites around on the internet, and I'm almost confident that you'd even be able to find Pool of Radiance floating around somewhere (not a ringing endorsement, but it's the best I can manage :)). Even if your own copy of the game is no good anymore, I think it likely that you'd still be able to play it somehow. Wouldn't be the same as actually playing it on a C64, naturally, but still...

Bluthand: Yep. Played PoR2. Finished it, too.

And more than once. :shock:
revvie
Initiate

Post by revvie »

I remember with a fondness (often only reserved for the loved ones in my life,my parents)the goldbox games on the C64 i had.I started off with Curse of the Azure blades and finished it at least 3 times,memories come flooding back of battling shambling mounds etc.but by far the best time i ever had playing these games was with my best mate,we would sit up all night sometimes,my mate at the computer controling the party and me with pencil and graph paper in hand,mapping out all of the dungeons,it would go something like this.......
My mate.....Wall to the left,wall to the right.
Me...ok done.
My mate......move one square forwards...wall to the right,gap to the left and on and on it went like that,we had such a good laugh doing it that way,but sometimes we would just wander around and i do remember one point in EOB2 where we just opened a door and run straight into a room full of beholders,did we stop and fight? no...we ran the party straight thro the door at the other end of the room.classic fun was had with those games and sometimes i yearn to play them again,but i cant be bothered trying to get them to run in dos box
Krafen
Council Member

Post by Krafen »

I remember doing much the same, revvie, with a friend of mine on his Amiga with Dungeon Master. That was a lot of fun.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

If you all want to play the old C64 games, you can play them using Vice. It's a very good C64 emulator. I am currently playing the Bard's Tale I with it. Great game.

The C64 versions of the game are almost always better than the IBM ports in my opinions for the 80's game, even with worse graphics.

I played wasteland on the C64 recently, by far my favorite version.
Krafen
Council Member

Post by Krafen »

Ahh, Wasteland, the first RPG I ever played. Brings back the memories.