An happy Linux user with a suggestion...

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
azkiel
Pledge

An happy Linux user with a suggestion...

Post by azkiel »

Hi

First of all just want to say thanks for a great game with a very good Linux version available. I tried the demo and bought the game, having a Linux version for me was definitively a big plus for me!

Just one suggestion for your next game; Playing as a fighter with a bit of archery, I find it very annoying to have to manually remove my shield every time I want to use my bow. Couldn't the shield just become inactive when using a bow? Would that make sense?

Thx!
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

It would be very convenient for game play purposes, but in reality it would not make sense. It could also depend on the type of shield. You can probably fire a bow carrying a light shield or buckler on your arm, but not a tower shield. If you wanted to effectively use the bow you would have to remove the shield and equip the bow which would take time. Even if you drop the shield and grab your bow it would still take a certain amount of time. It takes time to unequip and equip. But we play games to get away from reality. So in terms of the game your idea has merit.
History is written by the winners!
Al3xand3r
Apprentice

Post by Al3xand3r »

Well he's just saying it would be nice if you didn't have to manually open your inventory and switch weapons. Something like diablo 2's alternate equipment tab would work a treat I think.

It really is annoying to do it manually, and has no reason to happen since equip/unequip doesn't actually make you lose a turn or anything (though even if it did, it could still do so with the auto-switch option) which means it doesn't take "long to switch weapons like it would take in real life" or something. Not as far as the game's concerned at least.
elstyr
Initiate

Post by elstyr »

Hi there,
I agree with azkiel's demand. Playin' as a north rogue with focus of arching and bludgeoning weapons & shields for my fighting skills (nearly no magic skills - don't comment this please ;)) I guess I went already a hundred of times through the "x+click+click+x+enter" job and I'm still not half way through the game.. Don't tell me to redesign my char, I love it so :). It would be awesome to get this shield/weapon-constellation-switch done more quickly.

But I agree with realmzmaster's thoughts too.

So, what about if you'll need to train a kind of a "dressing"/"fight diversification" skill in before, to be able to do that, to change your fight appearance in one move? For "simple" weapons like some L2 bows and L3 bludgering/shild combinations a low level of "diversification" skill would be enough, with no special cost. But after gaining this diversification-skill to upper levels, you can also switch yourself e.g. into a magician for a very few rounds (with spells available you've never had + with a lot mana cost). The morph could also be initiated by a superb potion or by having to pay a lot mana points + hit points for the morph, but it maybe could save you at higher levels from the heroic death :).
Sorry for my english. I would very like to know, what you're thinking about such a skill.

Best regards,
Elstyr
Krafen
Council Member

Post by Krafen »

I don't think a new skill is really necessary. The weapon switch option should just include the shield. We just need two shield slots to go with the two weapon slots. Then a single click switches from weapon and shield to bow and no shield.
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

Egads! My last post was nuked! I am in agreement that the switching out of shield and weapon for bow is a good idea for game play just not realistic. I know I am getting realism in your fantasy. :wink:
History is written by the winners!
Maelstrom
Steward

Post by Maelstrom »

realmzmaster wrote:I know I am getting realism in your fantasy. :wink:
And we're getting fantasy on your realism. :wink:

or is that peanut butter on your chocolate? I can't remember. :cry:
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!