Poll: Requiring Food and Water in RPGs

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.

Requiring Food and Water in an RPG?

Food only
2%
Food and Water
57%
Neither...it's an unnecessary pain in the ass!
40%

Total votes: 89

gragnak
Senior Steward

Post by gragnak »

I agree with Gallyfrey when he says that we could use a skill similar to survival skill.
I voted to add food and water consumption.
I liked the STAR TRAIL system.

Introducing iron rations shuld be easy.
furor vincit omnia
dteowner

Post by dteowner »

Oy! Next they'll want excretory functions. -4 to charisma due to dry skin and -3 dexterity from extreme constipation. Hey, it's complexity and realism, right? :roll:

Just say no to irritating, repetitive, empty decisions and devote that coding time to character development and story.
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

Hey, a medieval Sims game could be a lot of fun!

:D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
Sanctus
Marshall

Post by Sanctus »

I just wanna say LMAO dteowner that was really funny
May the sky never fall on your head
EagerDragon
Pledge

Waste of time

Post by EagerDragon »

I do not like having to drink or eat to stay alive.
Potions to remove poison or to regain stamina, mana or life is one thing, but having to eat to survive for no other reason is a pain and IMHO a waste of time.
Dray
Pledge

Post by Dray »

Hi all - i only found out about this game yesterday (thanks RPGWatch) and was wondering if a decision about food / water has been made by the developers?

I voted for food & water - but strongly recommend introducing an option to disable the requirement to manually feed your character.

Why did I vote yes? I have some pretty good memories of having to worry about food for my party in Ultima 7. It never seemed like an annoying aspect of the game at all. Food was pretty easy to come by; there was meat on most wild animals you killed that could be taken for food, and there was a low level spell 'create food' that lavished the immediate area surrounding your party with a variety of different foods (no beer if I remember correctly though)!! :)

I brought up this very topic on the dragonage forum ages ago and was met with so many people responding with 'this is not supposed to be the sims'... having never played the sims but still having had to feed my guys in ultima 7 (seen by MANY as one of the best RPG's of all time) I considered this a moot point.

Nevertheless, I can accept that many now see such a task as mundane. However I think it adds to the realism and immersion of the game. There is a limit to what elements of everyday living should be implemented, but I don't feel as though this is outrageous. In order to satisfy those who do believe it would be mundane I echo the previous suggestion to implement this is a feature that can be disabled. There wasn't any official response from the developers on this though, so perhaps it's not feasible to provide both options...

For the record, Betrayal At Krondor (BAK) also required you to purchase rations for your party...

Dray.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Yes, food is in the game and it can help you a little bit when eaten (a small 1-2 point health boost) but it is not required. You will not grow hungry and die if you fail to eat.

I personally would have liked to see food a requirement, but the poll was just too close. Besides, you can still collect food in your inventory and consume it when you are desperately low on health, so it still has some importance.
gragnak
Senior Steward

Post by gragnak »

I'm glad my mail to RPGWATCH was released on the site.
I asked to Basilisk Wrangler some info and decided to share the updated news on RPGWATCH hoping new fans would have joined our community.

Welcome Dray!
furor vincit omnia
mytgroo
Steward

Post by mytgroo »

I am curious if there is food are there any other things like alcohol-- beer and wine, or tobacco with minor effects. Also are there alchemical things which you can pick up like herbs in the forest which have minor effects-- very low healing power 1-4 points, etc. Also are there different kinds of food cheese, meats, cucumbers, apples, etc.
I am Myt where's the cheese dip.
almondblight
Initiate

Post by almondblight »

I imagine a lot of the concern is over how it would be implemented. I think if there was some sort of Oregon Trail style hunting, there might not be as much hostility to the idea (and if you weren't getting hungry all the time, though in ADOM it's not too bad).
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Yes, there's wine, ale and whiskey in the game. Yes, there are penalties for drinking too much. :wink: There are several different types of foods as well.
Vennor
Apprentice

Post by Vennor »

That's a great idea to make a food and wated needing character in-game, but it's kind of inconvenient I think.

All in all I like it, it's very realistic.
Larec
Initiate

Post by Larec »

Do it the way many of the early CRPG did it (Including Ultima Exodus, I believe) And that is to say, make it so that lack of food doesn't HURT you, but just prevents you from regenerating health points throguh inactivity/rest.

Many old CRPGs did this. If you didn't have food, you didn't slowly die...you just wouldn't regain HP without being magically healed or sleeping at an inn/tavern
MarionDeputy
Apprentice

Post by MarionDeputy »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Yes, there's wine, ale and whiskey in the game. Yes, there are penalties for drinking too much. :wink: There are several different types of foods as well.
No apple Martinis?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Wow, it looks like Food & Water is now winning by a sizable margin- but we already made the decision several months ago to not include this requirement.

However, it looks like keeping your party fed and hydrated might be a requirement in Book II.... :wink: