Q&A - Ask a question, Get an answer

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

No updates in the last few days, its making me sad. :cry:

2 questions, (Not sure if these have been discussed before).

1) How many magic weapons are in the game? Are they going to be rare, or will there be many of them?

I ask because I have been playing the Magic Candle game and their are only a couple magic weapons in the game and they have great power. I like this approach because it makes them very valuable and very cool if you find them. Seems like some games once you get to a certain level, magic weapons are all over the place which takes the excitement of finding one away.

2) Will there be books you can read in the game? If so, will this increase any of your skills when you read them?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Yep, we're here working hard so we haven't posted much.

1) I'm not sure of the exact number of magical weapons, but there are quite a few. Many of them cannot be purchased and must be found, so yes, they are considered rare.

2) Yes, some books can increase skills when read.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Excellent! Glad you are working hard on the game, can't wait to play it.

As for number 2....Will the books have text in them that you can read, or is it more of a "Your character finds a book and reads it and it increases his intelligence skill"

Im asking because I like to read, so the more to read in the books the better.. :)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Yes, all books have text (some have more text that others).
cutterjohn
Pledge

Post by cutterjohn »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Both.

It will be available for electronic delivery (download) and probably weigh in somewhere around 100mb, give or take a few. It will download as a single installation file which you can back-up onto CD if you want.

If you want an official CD version, it will be a few dollars more (to cover duplication, shipping and handling expenses) and you can still do an immediate download. The CDs themselves will be ready to ship probably about 3-4 weeks after the game is officially gold.
If we opt to buy the CD version, will we also be able to download a copy of the download version to play?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Yes, you can download it after you purchase it (if you want) and the CD will be shipped as soon as we get the first batch back from the duplicator.
Vennor
Apprentice

Post by Vennor »

About magic weapons...

Are you going to place some of them in the game and make one that's the best of each category?

I think better thing is to do few magic (epic?) weapons with same power but other statistics (of course there must be few weaker weapons).

Just don't want to play few times and each time use the same weapon (like in Planescape Torment - it doesn't matter if I'm a magican, warrior or rougue, I always use the same weapon, cos it's the best in whole game [Ravel's Fingernail]).

You know what I mean?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

There is no one epic weapon in the game to rule them all...there are an assortment of top-end weapons in various categories scattered about, plus the system randomly imbues bonuses into some weapons so technically there are hundreds of combinations to uncover.
Vennor
Apprentice

Post by Vennor »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:There is no one epic weapon in the game to rule them all...there are an assortment of top-end weapons in various categories scattered about, plus the system randomly imbues bonuses into some weapons so technically there are hundreds of combinations to uncover.
Ok, thanks :).
GianMarco
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by GianMarco »

Heres one out of the blue - What happens to our character if we suddenly decide to go on a killing spree? Do we get sent to jail, have a bounty on our heads, or does the town just spawn an army of guards to slaughter us?

Sorry if its been asked before, just trying to kill the silence...
"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent Him." - Helios
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

If no one sees you or hears you commit the crime, then you can get away with it.

It's a hard balancing act...if you kill the tavern owner and immediately go next door to talk with the blacksmith, would he realistically know about the crime you just committed? Probably not (unless he heard you), so we keep Eschalon's crime and punishment system simple and to the point.

If someone hears or sees you commit a crime, they will become hostile towards you and attempt to "bring you to justice". If you kill a quest-critical NPC, the system will notify you of your error, but you can continue to play as long as you want.

Crimes are tracked internally, so even if no one knows of your crime, the computer still remembers that you are the type of person that would kill an NPC in cold blood or steal gold from an old lady. This can have various effects on your character at different points of the game.

So, to better answer your question...there are a couple dungeons that you may get thrown into for various reasons, but for the most part, if you commit a crime you can expect nearby NPCs (townspeople and guards) to deliver their own vigilante justice right then and there. If no one immediately notices, then you are safe.

Crimes that are recognized are: murder, assault, breaking and entering, and theft.
GianMarco
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by GianMarco »

Well...I certainly like what I just read.

"If no one hears you" - To what extent and circumstance will NPCs be able to hear you, will NPCs always give off a cry for help?

Anyway think its awesome you are choosing to create a proper crime system thats actually based on 'logic' for a change. Its one thing I really hate about a game when the populace knows of your crimes - regardless of whether they actually saw you or not. The amount of depth your all putting into this game is incredible, you guys are really gonna set benchmarks. :wink:
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

GianMarco wrote:Well...I certainly like what I just read.

"If no one hears you" - To what extent and circumstance will NPCs be able to hear you, will NPCs always give off a cry for help?
I have the same question. Will there be tricks available to silence (eg a spell or special "assassination" move - gagging, a garrotte, etc) the target?
Anyway think its awesome you are choosing to create a proper crime system thats actually based on 'logic' for a change. Its one thing I really hate about a game when the populace knows of your crimes - regardless of whether they actually saw you or not. The amount of depth your all putting into this game is incredible, you guys are really gonna set benchmarks. :wink:
Yeah.. I always hated when, in a game like Baldur's Gate, you fail one lousy pickpocket and suddenly the entire Sword Coast is out to get you.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
GianMarco
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by GianMarco »

Gallifrey wrote:Yeah.. I always hated when, in a game like Baldur's Gate, you fail one lousy pickpocket and suddenly the entire Sword Coast is out to get you.
Haha, yeh i have bad memories of that happening to me endless times.

I think this is going to be one of the aspects that stands out when Eschalon is complete, its always the little things that make a huge difference. :)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

If no monsters or NPCs, referred to as entities, can currently hear you the word "Silent" appears in the Effects window, right below the automap. The amount of noise you make when you walk, attack, or pick a lock is largely dependent on your "Move Silent" skill, so the higher that skill is, the closer you can be to an entity and not have them hear you. If there is a wall between you and an entity, that will lessen the noise the entity receives. If "Silent" is not listed in the Effects window, then you are within earshot of some entity that is alerted to your presence. Monsters will hone in on your sound, or if you commit a crime alerted NPCs will become aggressive.

As for tricks...um, there are no spells or special moves like that (though a spell of silence might be cool...*jots down note*). But you can press the Space Bar to stand passively for one round. During that passive round your noise level drops to almost zero and you could passively wait for someone to walk close to you, unaware of your presence...

"Hide in Shadows" works nearly identical, only of course for how hidden you are in regards to the luminosity of the square you are on. Having very high Hide in Shadows and Move Silently skills makes you practically invisible in most cases...