Nitrogen for Book II

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
actreal
Pledge

Nitrogen for Book II

Post by actreal »

I found Eschalon via the Playgreenhouse website/newsletter after playing On the Rain-slick Precipice of Darkness Episode One there.

Now for Episode Two of OTRSPOD, they have added Nitrogen - a "triumph" recording service for PC/Mac much like achievements on Xbox Live.

I realise that many players get Eschalon directly, but for those of us who use Greenhouse, please consider enriching Book II with Nitrogen.

It would make the replays even more fun to be out there trying to complete achievements along the lines of the challenge games proposed in these forums for Book I and be able to show them off to your friends.

Any forumgoers who think this is a good idea, feel free to post your ideas for triumphs and standings!
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Re: Nitrogen for Book II

Post by AK_Marty »

I'm not sure what this nitrogen system is, so I'll stick to bragging here on the Basilisk forums.
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
confused1
Apprentice

Post by confused1 »

As actreal stated, Nitrogen is an "achievement" tracking system. Similar to the Xbox 360's achievements or Steam's achievements. They are merely for bragging rights and it's a little bit more believable than simply saying you did something. If they decide to do this, they should at least tell the people who already bought it from here. Or simply make the achievements on all versions. Because I bought On The Rain Slick Precipice Of Darkness One through Steam it came with achievements. However, for people who bought the game elsewhere, they couldn't have the fancy achievements.
If there is evil in this world, it lurks in the hearts of men.
Sslaxx
Council Member

Post by Sslaxx »

confused1 wrote:However, for people who bought the game elsewhere, they couldn't have the fancy achievements.
This is why they should not use a system like this, it's just not fair on people who buy the game via other systems.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
Abyssal
Initiate

Post by Abyssal »

It's not really unfair, if gaining achievements is important to you roll on over to Greenhouse and sign up, they have some other interesting titles as well so it's worth the cost of 0$ to sign up. Achievements have no effect on gameplay, you won't be getting an inferior product without them. I think they're a nice way to spice up you're online profile :)
A.uK.A SpecialS4UC3 *Y.N.W.A*
Palog
Marshall

Post by Palog »

Aren't such system easy to hack? Well the real point is I don't like at all this sort of evolution, I feel it superficial, but that's just me.
AstralWanderer
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by AstralWanderer »

I would have thought that it would make more sense for developer time to be spent on features that would benefit all users - and on areas more closely linked to the gaming experience (which for an RPG should include atmosphere, gameworld depth and NPC interaction).

I would also consider it unhealthy to encourage anyone to purchase DRM-hobbled software which, unfortunately, is what Playgreenhouse's version of Eschalon is.
Zeno
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Zeno »

actreal wrote: I realise that many players get Eschalon directly, but for those of us who use Greenhouse, please consider enriching Book II with Nitrogen.
OH GOD THE PUN BURNS.

Aside from making rather unnecessary comments about senses of humor, I don't personally think any sort of achievements really need to be added. What are they going to be? Kill 50 Salamanders? Reach Level 21? It'll just create the need to grind, which is never, ever good.

EVER!
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Zeno wrote:It'll just create the need to grind, which is never, ever good.
Unless you're into that sort of thing. I hear some people sort of like it.

...Just what I hear, that's all.

Anyhow, I guess that's enough of feeding the sales pitch.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.