Q&A - Ask a question, Get an answer

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

The manual is very rough still...we've only been jotting stuff down little by little, and it's not very thorough or helpful yet so looking at it wouldn't do you much good.
GianMarco
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by GianMarco »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:The manual is very rough still...we've only been jotting stuff down little by little, and it's not very thorough or helpful yet so looking at it wouldn't do you much good.
Seriously, how close are we to seeing some footage? - I'm sorry man, I hope im not coming across as an annoyance but, right now im finding it hard to stay interested.

GRAGNAK: My dad is from Augusta, Sicily - so i guess you could say im half Italian (or half Sicilian mafioso, whatever you prefer) ;) Never been though, nor have i learnt the language...one day...
"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent Him." - Helios
gragnak
Senior Steward

Post by gragnak »

GianMArco.
You should come in Italy someday.
It's really a beautyful place.

I hope to visit Australia next year..... some friend of mine went there and talked to me about a lot of marvelous places he viewed.

BASILISK.
I know we tend to be repetitive. But it's really difficult to contribute to this forum if we haven't new info. I'd like to discuss about some game features and ask new quastions but it's impossible if you don't feed us with more game detail.

Anyway, good work.
furor vincit omnia
Ubbax
Initiate

Post by Ubbax »

So this is the place for questions...

It's been a long time since the newsletter has been used. The last time was to inform us of the forum troubles. I'm not complaining mind you, I would rather Basilisk spend it's time on finishing the game. Having said that though, I think the newsletter would have been perfect to notify us that Gallifreys recent Beta insights could be found on the forums.

Once the game is available for sale will Basilisk Games make use of the Newsletter to notify those of us subscribed immediately?

Ubbax

"I learned this, at least, from my experiment:
that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams,
and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined,
he will meet with success unexpected in common hours." --Thoreau's Walden
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Ubbax wrote:Once the game is available for sale will Basilisk Games make use of the Newsletter to notify those of us subscribed immediately?
Of course!
Ubbax
Initiate

Post by Ubbax »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
Ubbax wrote:Once the game is available for sale will Basilisk Games make use of the Newsletter to notify those of us subscribed immediately?
Of course!
Wow wish the game was completed as fast as you are with your answers :wink:

Seriously thanks much for the reply I'm really looking forward to purchasing it.

Ubbax
Jimmious
Pledge

Post by Jimmious »

First of all hello! I'm new in the forums, however I've been watching for quite some time.
I have to say that I am very glad that some people are still interested into making true RPGs these days. Most are not sadly :(

Now the questions!!
1)Any news about the release date?
2)I'm wondering about something that is very common in most RPGs these days. If you get in the middle of a battle between two "sides" that are hostile to you (eg guards of the castle of an evil mage and some wandering orcs) will everyone just try to kill you or are they going to fight each other while also fighting you?
3)Will I be able to dual-wield?
4)Which stats affect the combat system(number of actions per turn, initiative etc)?
5)Can I perform random evil deeds? Like killing off a town just because I'm evil? :twisted: :P
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

1) No
2) In larger battles, NPCs fight each other and you depending on whose side everyone is on.
3) No, next game
4) Lots of stats affect combat...we do many, many calculations and table look-ups for each combat round.
5) Yes

...and welcome to The Pub!
Jimmious
Pledge

Post by Jimmious »

*Impressed and humbled from the speed of the reply*

:oops: :)
Jimmious
Pledge

Post by Jimmious »

By the way I'd like to add that since Fallout 3 died for me yesterday (action RPG and :evil: :x :evil: ) this game is my only hope :)
Keep up the good work!

*A question: Will the dialogues have stat-cheks (Intelligence for example to decide if you can find out a new Intelligent answer that would otherwise not show up)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

No, we don't go so far as to say "if you are this smart then this clever response becomes available to you". We don't run any stats checks when interacting...we leave that completely up to the player to decide how their character should respond when chatting with an NPC.
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Post by GSV3MiaC »

That's a pity because some stat (Charisma, Wisdom, Intelligence, whatever) ought to influence character interaction. After all several stats influence combat, and character interaction is the other important RPG point apart from combat (or in 'Planescape Torment' THE most important!).

In Planescape/Fallout being able to talk a good tale is often better than fighting skill!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Sorry...I had a big, long response to this but then realized I misunderstood what you asked.

In a few cases, a Wisdom or Intelligence check is made in response to your dialogue selection to see how a NPC will react. So to sum it up:

- We don't do any checks as to what responses you are allowed to give an NPC (this is what I was saying in my post above).

- We don't run a stat check on every dialogue choice you make, but, there are a few situations in the game that when you give a response to an NPC, their response back is based on how good of a liar/persuader you are (Int/Wis respectively). Also, in a couple situations if you have committed criminal acts, you are given some additional dialogue options with certain NPCs (this is a remnant of our reputation system).
almondblight
Initiate

Post by almondblight »

I actually like this better. I don't like skills like charisma that just serve to add "the good option", which you normally take because it's better than the rest. Also...any thoughts on also occasionally having checks for other attributes(for instance strength to intimidate someone, show you are capable of something)?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Yeah, you'll notice we skipped Charisma altogether as well. I've never understood how Charisma was supposed to represent how well people liked you...good characters would have a high charisma when interacting with good NPCs, but an evil NPC would find a good character repulsive, and vice versa. I just don't think that "opinionated stats" make good additions to RPGs; I think the player is fully capable of influencing the game through their own opinions of NPCs without the game needing to impose rules or restrictions based on a stat.

No, there is no strength check as to see if you can intimidate someone, but as I mentioned above, parts of the reputation system are still in there so if you play a more evil-aligned character (i.e. murderous), that reputation begins to follow you around. Some (not all) NPCs will respond to this reputation that you bring with you.