Q&A - Ask a question, Get an answer

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Gothmog
Marshall

Post by Gothmog »

I like this font too. Its ...its..... charming! :D
"FUL IR"
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

2048 ad was not an action shooter, it was sort of a futuristic ultima game from origin
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

I wasn't implying that it was, I was just off on a tangent :wink:
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

cool, tangents is what these boards do best I noticed:) we all go off on them:P
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

I figure if I don't go off on at least one tangent I'm not having a proper conversation.
Speaking of which we ought to stop cluttering the Q&A thread.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
Vennor
Apprentice

Post by Vennor »

A question from me: will we meet many people in towns?

It would by nice to see prosperous and densely populated city than only few persants and traders (I'm not talking about some abandoned places of course) :).
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

This is really a question about game design in general....

A town with many people would appear realistic, but what purpose does it serve in the game? In a town of 200 people, not everyone can have a quest or an important piece of information, right? So to fully populate a town, that would make for a lot of extra design work that serves little or no purpose but to inflate the sense of artificial life. And dialogue work for 200 people would certainly require a full-time, dedicated writer unless 90% of the people just gave a generic "Good day!" type of response, but that's not very realistic either.

In Eschalon, towns do contain enough NPCs to make them appear to be functional, but they're not as "filled out" as you would expect a real town to be. Shop owners are present, as are guards and other townspeople doing their business. In traditional RPG terms, the towns in Eschalon appear to be very similar in design to most other classic RPGs.
Vennor
Apprentice

Post by Vennor »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:This is really a question about game design in general....

A town with many people would appear realistic, but what purpose does it serve in the game? In a town of 200 people, not everyone can have a quest or an important piece of information, right? So to fully populate a town, that would make for a lot of extra design work that serves little or no purpose but to inflate the sense of artificial life. And dialogue work for 200 people would certainly require a full-time, dedicated writer unless 90% of the people just gave a generic "Good day!" type of response, but that's not very realistic either.

In Eschalon, towns do contain enough NPCs to make them appear to be functional, but they're not as "filled out" as you would expect a real town to be. Shop owners are present, as are guards and other townspeople doing their business. In traditional RPG terms, the towns in Eschalon appear to be very similar in design to most other classic RPGs.
Ok, I see, but it could be like in Fallout and like you said: many people can say only something like "good day", but I don't know if it would be a better way...

Just wanted to hear the answer, thanks. :)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

No problem Vennor! The issue really comes down to development resources. I often point to Fallout's credit listing...there were 100+ people on that game and probably 3-5 million dollars of development cost. Basilisk Games has barely a fraction of those kinds of resources. :cry:

We'll see where the future takes us. If Eschalon is successful, I have about 10 project ideas that I'd love to see make it into development, and future projects may not be as hampered by resource limitations.
Vennor
Apprentice

Post by Vennor »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:No problem Vennor! The issue really comes down to development resources. I often point to Fallout's credit listing...there were 100+ people on that game and probably 3-5 million dollars of development cost. Basilisk Games has barely a fraction of those kinds of resources. :cry:

We'll see where the future takes us. If Eschalon is successful, I have about 10 project ideas that I'd love to see make it into development, and future projects may not be as hampered by resource limitations.
Yeah, I know and once more I wish you (and Eschalon) good luck. :)
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

I have never really felt like large amounts of people in cities added much to the game. I think about the only real requirement should be is there enough people there for the amount of buildings and structure etc....Are all the major needs covered.....

I find that including the necessaties, like a smithy, a shop, a food shop, guards and maybe a town leader is plenty enough to work for the setting. As long as there are enough of those those types of dwellings with a handful townspeople thrown in its enough for me.

I find really large cities a little too complicated at times anyway... :D

Another question;

How many different types of music do you have in the game? Does each town or major area have its on background music?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

We are still adding music tracks so the final count is yet to be determined.

Each map (zone) has two music tracks associated with it so you don't get sick listening to the same track repeated over and over. Some zones will share a music track with other zones, but I try to not put the same two music tracks with any two zones.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Sounds good. Are you going to have area specific music? Like combat music, and dungeon music?
flinch13
Initiate

Post by flinch13 »

Hi there! I've got a question about items. Are there any special items with magic powers that can only be found once? I mean like swords that shoot magic missles, things that produce infinite sources of light so you don't have to go out and buy torches every other second, etc. I remember objects like this in an old game called Angband; they were really rare and awesome.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

[Saxon1974]: Yes, dungeons have their own tracks, as do some special locations. Combat doesn't yet, but we may have some soon.

[flinch13]: Yes.