Need Feedback on propsed NEW LOGO

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!

What do you think of THIS logo?

I like it! This should be the new logo!
67%
Eh, I liked the previous "new" logo better.
No votes
Actually, I like the original logo on the front page the best.
33%

Total votes: 18

BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Need Feedback on propsed NEW LOGO

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Hello again! Does everyone remember the last logo we all voted on? Well, although the poll clearly favored the newer look, there were enough concerns raised about it that we had to go back to the drawing board and work on another idea.

Here is another concept logo to vote on while you are patiently and politely waiting for Book II:
basilisk_games_2010_logo_proposed.png
basilisk_games_2010_logo_proposed.png (67.04 KiB) Viewed 6839 times
Don't forget to leave a comment below!
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Re: Need Feedback on propsed NEW LOGO

Post by King_ov_Death »

Good work there BW!
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Now this one I REALLY like!

Kewlness.

Hey, we need a 'thumbsup' smilie!
:mrgreen:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
tiresius
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by tiresius »

The 'a' is touching the 'B' but otherwise it looks good. Miss the little lizard/basilisk, though. :)
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

The "S" has a very snakelike feel to it... which lends to the reptilian name.

Lewis the Fighter approves this logo! :mrgreen:

It'd be really smexy if you could put a watermark-ish lizard underneath it all. :twisted:
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

tiresius wrote:The 'a' is touching the 'B' but otherwise it looks good. Miss the little lizard/basilisk, though. :)
The golden basilisk will stay, just not sure where we want to put it. I also thought seeing the text sans logo might help. Here's a sample with the basilisk:
basilisk_games_2010_logo_b_proposed.png
basilisk_games_2010_logo_b_proposed.png (108.07 KiB) Viewed 6821 times
basilisk_games_2010_logo_c_proposed.png
basilisk_games_2010_logo_c_proposed.png (78.8 KiB) Viewed 6821 times
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

You might think about stretching the B and K to the bottom line, which should also put the leading serif of the A tucked neatly into the curves of the B rather than overlapping the bottom loop. Otherwise, I really like the cleanliness and both modern and chiseled historic look of this lettering.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

OK, I like this "new" logo better than the old "new" logo.

Of the two versions shown above with the 'lizard' image, I prefer the second one to the first one (it's more like the original logo).

And I tend to agree with Kreador Freeaxe - I think the first 'B' and the last 'K' should be dragged down and made bigger so that the bottom of those letters is parallel with the bottom of the "Games" line (as it is in the 'original' logo). (Ditto the 'lizard' image.)

But, with those changes, I'd now have no problem replacing the 'original' logo with this 'new' one... :)
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I like the "new" new logo a lot. And, I also Kreador's suggestion about pulling the B and K down to the bottom line. That would keep the little lizard in scale with the B and the K. I do think having the nifty picture of the basilisk is important. There are probably some people who wouldn't understand the name without the accompanying picture.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Personally, I'm still not sure I see what's so wrong with the original, although I do admit that the new emblem itself (the curled basilisk) looks better than the old emblem. Not quite so excited about the new lettering, although it's pretty.

Assuming that employing a new design is inevitable: I think it's important to keep in mind that the lettering should not overpower the emblem, since I see the emblem as the most important piece . . . also, the lettering and emblem should be well integrated, the viewer should not feel a sense of separation or individuality between the two. ...Just in case the designer is not already giving these matters serious consideration.

I do understand that the shininess of the new emblem requires a bolder text, but... be careful. And: I prefer the nicks in the old lettering over the smoothness of the new lettering.

Another note, which I mentioned in regard to the previous 'new design': if the second of the two choices is employed (with the emblem beside the lettering instead of underneath), then the knee should overlap the B -- NOT the other way around. The way it is now implies that the lettering is more important than the emblem.

All in all, I think if I had to choose between the old and the new new: I'd stick with the old. That's just me, though.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Evnissyen wrote:Assuming that employing a new design is inevitable...
Yes, a new logo is inevitable. While I personally like the current logo, there are quite a few reasons why it needs to get updated. We've taken the suggestions you've all given and applied them to this newer logo. I hope every digs it- it is pretty cool and should work well for us.

We have a new website in the works that is nearing completion. We'll put up some links here in the forums so every can help "beta test" the new layout before we put it live on the internet. The current (old) website is a hand-built dinosaur using just straight HTML. It is very limited. We're building the new site on top of WordPress, which although it is designed for blogs, it actually works well with our style of posting updates. It also give us access to a ton of neat features and will make updates really convenient.

More to come...
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

I totally disagree with Jedi on the relationship between the emblem and the text (although I agree on the interspatial dots). The emblem is more important and if it helps to increase its importance then the emblem should in some way overlap the text (that is, if the one-line approach, like the one you currently have, is employed -- the other design where the emblem is below the lettering (and larger: good), though it looks better, is too bulky and so less practical).

By the way, and this is mostly to BW: I know I probably come across as an incurable contrarion (sp?), but I'm sure as hell no Luddite and if change is coming then bring it along... I think my primary concern is that the emblem be appropriately prominent, since this is to me the most important element (and it's so beautifully designed, too, I love that emblem) -- the lettering is there to let us know the name of the company, while the emblem, in a way, represents the company and the products. I suppose the trick is always to make the lettering as emblematic as the emblem itself, since if there's a perception of that separation then you have a clumsy logo.

The ones that've been drawn up seem to do that okay, and the one-line logo works (though I think the original one works better), and it looks good, but . . . I guess I would just encourage a little more integration between emblem and text, if it's at all possible.

That's all. I'll stop writing before I end up saying too much. These things can be over-analyzed.

(By the way, I think Kreador's perception about the B & K, and the relationship between the A & B, are spot on. If you do what he requests and then make the emblem as large as the B & K: that might make the emblem appropriately prominent.)

(Just make sure the knee is overlapping the B.)

(Okay. I'm done talking.)
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

The new logo at the top looks good, by the way.

I still miss the nicks in the lettering, and all but... it looks nice.
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Post by dare49devil »

-I like the new logo..But just one minor thing..When I click on it to return 'homepage' it only highlight/whatever three sides. =P

-I mean, it isn't a big deal or anything.

Also, since you 'updated' that..I think your plaque for 'The Drunken Lizard's Pub" needs an update too. Cuz it seems its shiny and new next to old and wood.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Understood, but: no! This goes into the pile of Going-too-Far, okay?

The sign needs to be wooden and old that's it's nature (no pun intended), dammit.

Also, the sign is specialized for these forums. It doesn't have to be coordinated precisely with the new logo.

The new logo, after all, doesn't dictate aesthetics around the board (no pun intended), does it? Otherwise we're all going to have to adopt a shiny new way of talking in order to match with the logo. ¿Where does it all end?!!!