Hello

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Hello

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Painted Lady wrote:Let's see where you are in the game. Have you recovered the bar of Mithril for the blacksmith in Aridell yet? If not, you will get a lot of great experience points when you do that quest. It's the one down the steps in Elderhollow.

Also, the nice thing about Eschalon is that everyone plays each game a little bit differently. Personally, I'm not real fond of Gravedigger's Flame because it burns until the spell wears off. So, if I'm being attacked by an enemy and I want to be less visible I'm stuck with the flame when I don't want to be. Did you know that you can gather torches from all over? The ones in Aridell are re-lit every evening, so you have an unlimited supply of light that you can turn on or off at will.

Also, one of the most valuable spells is Predator Sight, but I have never been able to find it until I got to Bordertown. So, you will probably not be able to use it in Eversleep.
Funny. I generally find Predator Sight in Aridell once I've reached about level 4 or 5. The other really important elemental spell is Air Shield. It allows you to completely ignore ranged attack monsters. They can't hurt you, but you can hurt them.

I agree about Gravedigger's Flame. I only ever use it when going back through an area I've cleared of monsters, but am looking for stuff.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

I didn't know the torches in Aridell replenished themselves, is that true of all towns (that have torches)?

Also it should be mentioned that torches are not weightless in the game however there is no way to drop them outside of placing a torch into a wall sconce or letting it burn out. So only take what you think you'll need otherwise you'll weigh yourself down and may be unable to take that must have weapon or item you just found with you.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

You are right about torches having weight. I generally like to keep 10-12 with me. That is enough to get me through the dark places, but not so many that they are a burden.

Also, live and learn! Although I've played the game about a gazillion times, AK_Marty's trick about putting a point in Unarmed Combat so you can bash barrels without damaging your weapon was news to me. Wonder if that will still be true in Book 2...........
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Unclever title wrote:I didn't know the torches in Aridell replenished themselves, is that true of all towns (that have torches)?
If you're in town at dusk (Aridell, Border Town, or Blackwater), the torches will relight themselves. But you have to actually be around for it to happen.
---

AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

Faithful wrote:
AK_Marty wrote:As long as you have the crypt key, killing Leuric just gives you a little more experience. Time to head for Eversleep Cemetary!! Do you have the grave diggers flame and predator sight spells yet? They make dungeon crawls so much more fulfilling.

Thank you. It is good to know I did not mess up too badly.

I have the key and that is all. I am doing it mainly in the dark, and I believe I have found everything needed. Are the diggers flame and sight spell something you quest for, buy, or randomly find?

Thanks again.
These spells are sold in the magic shops, but may not show up until you are level 5 or 6.
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
Faithful
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Faithful »

You all have been so helpful and have made the game more enjoyable and understandable. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions no matter how silly they may appear.

I am sure I will have more! :)
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Post by dare49devil »

-I want you to have more. =P
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Which quests have you completed and how are you doing?
Faithful
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Faithful »

Painted Lady wrote:Which quests have you completed and how are you doing?
I can only clearly recall three at this point.

Returning metal to the Blacksmith.
Clearing the cellar of the cemetery caretaker.
Woman lost her husband and I returned ring.

I have about 7-9 others in waiting to finish, just not sure where to go at times! :) It has been loads of fun, and things that look to be easy never seem to end that way!
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

Have you done the sextant quest yet? You get this from the guy sitting at the table in the Inn at Aridell. When you return the sextant to him, he will offer to train you in cartogrophy. The higher your cartogrophy skill, the more detailed your mini-map will be. Very handy when navigating through crypts, caves and other dark places. Buy the five levels from the guy, then keep an eye out for the book "Mapping Your World". Read the book ONLY AFTER you have bought the first five levels in cartogrophy. The book raises you two levels, bringing you to level seven, giving really good detail to your mini-map, including water and pathways.
Alaska Marty
Faithful
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Faithful »

AK_Marty wrote:Have you done the sextant quest yet? You get this from the guy sitting at the table in the Inn at Aridell. When you return the sextant to him, he will offer to train you in cartogrophy. The higher your cartogrophy skill, the more detailed your mini-map will be. Very handy when navigating through crypts, caves and other dark places. Buy the five levels from the guy, then keep an eye out for the book "Mapping Your World". Read the book ONLY AFTER you have bought the first five levels in cartogrophy. The book raises you two levels, bringing you to level seven, giving really good detail to your mini-map, including water and pathways.
Thanks, I do have this quest, but unsure which direction to take. I headed North, but I am thinking it is South at this point, but I several screens North at this point. I also have been looking for Tanglewood Forest, but I have yet to find it either!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Faithful wrote:
AK_Marty wrote:Have you done the sextant quest yet? You get this from the guy sitting at the table in the Inn at Aridell. When you return the sextant to him, he will offer to train you in cartogrophy. The higher your cartogrophy skill, the more detailed your mini-map will be. Very handy when navigating through crypts, caves and other dark places. Buy the five levels from the guy, then keep an eye out for the book "Mapping Your World". Read the book ONLY AFTER you have bought the first five levels in cartogrophy. The book raises you two levels, bringing you to level seven, giving really good detail to your mini-map, including water and pathways.
Thanks, I do have this quest, but unsure which direction to take. I headed North, but I am thinking it is South at this point, but I several screens North at this point. I also have been looking for Tanglewood Forest, but I have yet to find it either!
Have you learned about the Quick Travel menu? You can click the sign-posts (sometimes look like obelisks) for locations and can jump to them instantly from anywhere else in the open (not in dungeons, and not when enemies are nearby, however). Makes getting across map zones much faster.
---

Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Regarding the Sextant quest and the Absolute Restoration quest - those are the next ones you should tackle (it helps that they are in the same map).

Leave Aridell and head across the bridge to Elderhollow. Then, follow the path that leads southeast. You can take the path or follow the edge of the water. You will eventually arrive in the Eastern Salted Coast. Have fun!
Faithful
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Faithful »

Kreador Freeaxe, I just found out today, that you can click on the Minimap and it switches to the Quick Travel list.

I just used it now because of your post (playing now!).

Painted Lady, thanks that is where I will head now.

I do appreciate the interest and the help you have shown me, it is making the game very fun for me.
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

Faithful wrote:Kreador Freeaxe, I just found out today, that you can click on the Minimap and it switches to the Quick Travel list.

I just used it now because of your post (playing now!).

Painted Lady, thanks that is where I will head now.

I do appreciate the interest and the help you have shown me, it is making the game very fun for me.
On every playthrough, I always do the sextant quest first. The mini-map is great for walking somewhere at night without using a light source.
Alaska Marty