Might & Magic LE

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Might & Magic LE

Post by Saxon1974 »

IF anyone is a fan of the old might & magic RPG's GOG.com has MM1- MMV1 for 9.99.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/might_an ... ed_edition

I bought it and have been playing MMVI lately, really a pretty good game. I hated it when it came out. Being a fan of MM1 and especially MMII since they were hard core RPG's I thought the new graphic engine for MMVI and the gameplay style felt way too actiony...but compared to many modern games it's pretty RPG.

It has the ability to play it turn based and the music is quite good.

Word of warning though, seems like you have to have the CD to get music tracks to work.

Still think MMII is my favorite but Im enjoying MMVI.

Lovely New Sorpigal. Some of you might remember Sorpigal from MMI. Geez the portaits in this game are terrible.

BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Might & Magic LE

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Ah, good times. Love the M&M series so much.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

My son got that deal a few weeks ago and finally got it loaded onto the PC side of my laptop. I tried to play it but it wassn't working very well. MM1 that is. Couldn't figure out how to quit. I have faint memories of Playing MM1-3 and I think I only finished 1. That was long ago and on our Commodore or the Amiga waaaay back when. :) Haven't gotten son to fix stuff yet so I can play it while I wait for the much better/wanted Book II.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

I purchased these but haven't had the opportunity to play them. Maybe I'll take a few weeks vacation at the end of the semester and hole up in the basement.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Dragonlady wrote:My son got that deal a few weeks ago and finally got it loaded onto the PC side of my laptop. I tried to play it but it wassn't working very well. MM1 that is. Couldn't figure out how to quit. I have faint memories of Playing MM1-3 and I think I only finished 1. That was long ago and on our Commodore or the Amiga waaaay back when. :) Haven't gotten son to fix stuff yet so I can play it while I wait for the much better/wanted Book II.
Wow if you finished MM1 or MM2 im impressed, they are both very hard to finish. The first one because it doesn't hold your hand AT ALL. You have to map everything yourself and its quite large. MMII has an automap i think but it still is a huge game (My favorite one though), I think I played it like 100 hours last year and wasn't that closed to finishing.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

macdude22 wrote:I purchased these but haven't had the opportunity to play them. Maybe I'll take a few weeks vacation at the end of the semester and hole up in the basement.
Yea these games especially MM1 & MMII are definitely in my top 5 RPG series of all time for me. For someone new to them though you might want to start with MMIII because the first 2 are quite old.

If you can figure out how to play MMII on an amiga emulator that is by far the best version of the game.

Spent hours and hours playing MM1 and MMII back when they were new.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Ah, good times. Love the M&M series so much.
Curious which is your favorite?
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

Saxon1974 wrote:
macdude22 wrote:I purchased these but haven't had the opportunity to play them. Maybe I'll take a few weeks vacation at the end of the semester and hole up in the basement.
Yea these games especially MM1 & MMII are definitely in my top 5 RPG series of all time for me. For someone new to them though you might want to start with MMIII because the first 2 are quite old.
I'ma do this old school and start with MM1. I've tucked away a CRT monitor at work so as to complete the experience. It's mid semester so I've got a million and one faculty breathing down my back and I'm in the middle of buying a house but after that it's plenty of space and taking plenty of time off to hammer some classics.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

macdude22 wrote: I'ma do this old school and start with MM1. I've tucked away a CRT monitor at work so as to complete the experience. It's mid semester so I've got a million and one faculty breathing down my back and I'm in the middle of buying a house but after that it's plenty of space and taking plenty of time off to hammer some classics.
Awesome, that's the way to do it:)

Book I is quite primitive by todays standards but once you start playing a while its quite addictive. I dont think modern RPG'ers could handle it though.
tiresius
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by tiresius »

I beat M&M1 with a cluebook. I just can't take not having an automap. For M&M2 I didn't make a huge dent in the main quest but I did find a nice magical well in a desert that bumped stats up to 200, then I would transport to a valley with very nasty creatures. After several failed attempts I got lucky and from the first battle went up a few levels. Eventually I got my party up to level 90+ and was doing 2.1k damage. I was having a lot of fun opening black boxes and getting cool magical lewtz. Those were the days.

Dragon lady I suggest using DosBox with M&M1 if you are not already. I think to get out of M&M1 you use ALT-Q.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

tiresius wrote:I beat M&M1 with a cluebook. I just can't take not having an automap. For M&M2 I didn't make a huge dent in the main quest but I did find a nice magical well in a desert that bumped stats up to 200, then I would transport to a valley with very nasty creatures. After several failed attempts I got lucky and from the first battle went up a few levels. Eventually I got my party up to level 90+ and was doing 2.1k damage. I was having a lot of fun opening black boxes and getting cool magical lewtz. Those were the days.

Dragon lady I suggest using DosBox with M&M1 if you are not already. I think to get out of M&M1 you use ALT-Q.
Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow or Sat. I have to finish off a battle map for my players. Still fighting on roof in the fog. Now have help with the night watch and torches. Makes for fun (not) mapping. :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

Saxon1974 wrote:
macdude22 wrote: I'ma do this old school and start with MM1. I've tucked away a CRT monitor at work so as to complete the experience. It's mid semester so I've got a million and one faculty breathing down my back and I'm in the middle of buying a house but after that it's plenty of space and taking plenty of time off to hammer some classics.
Awesome, that's the way to do it:)

Book I is quite primitive by todays standards but once you start playing a while its quite addictive. I dont think modern RPG'ers could handle it though.
I've still got my Zork Maps (graph paper) somewhere. I hope. Ma wouldn't throw them away right. RIGHT.
azraelck
Senior Steward

Post by azraelck »

I still have most of my stuff. Some just disappears through the years though.

MM2 was my favorite back in the days of DOS, though my computer back then lacked the memory to run MM3. I loved all of them though, up to 7.

Dang it, now I want to boot up MM2 again. Maybe give 1 another try, since I never beat it.
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity. - Edgar Allan Poe
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Dragonlady wrote:
tiresius wrote:I beat M&M1 with a cluebook. I just can't take not having an automap. For M&M2 I didn't make a huge dent in the main quest but I did find a nice magical well in a desert that bumped stats up to 200, then I would transport to a valley with very nasty creatures. After several failed attempts I got lucky and from the first battle went up a few levels. Eventually I got my party up to level 90+ and was doing 2.1k damage. I was having a lot of fun opening black boxes and getting cool magical lewtz. Those were the days.

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow or Sat. I have to finish off a battle map for my players. Still fighting on roof in the fog. Now have help with the night watch and torches. Makes for fun (not) mapping. :)
The GOG's version of the M&M LE comes with dosbox installed for all games MM1-V so all you have to do is click on the shortcut and it shells into dosbox and opens. That being said I prefer the C64 version on MMI even though its not that much different.

But man if your gonna play MMII, you gotta try the Amiga version, way better than DOS. IF your willing to get the amiga emulator working.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

You know its interesting, I get using a cluebook because mapping is a bit tedious but this being said, I think these old games were made for you to map them by hand on purpose. I find them WAY more fun when I do my own mapping, its the fun of discovery you know?

But beating MMI even with a cluebook and maps is not that easy.