Q&A - Ask a question, Get an answer

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Baelthazar
Initiate

Post by Baelthazar »

Hi all! I just found out about Eschalon on another forum, and I have to say, I am super excited! It is about time that a good old fashioned RPG got developed, I am up to my ears and frustrated with all the action RPGs out on the market! Nothing like good old turn based combat with isometric above the shoulder view.

Anyway, I can't wait until release, and I will be checking back often!

A couple small questions though. I thought I read that magic was both skill and level dependent, is that correct? Are their several types of magic skills (like ice, fire, etc) or is it like Avernum (mage and divine)? Are summonable monsters also included?

Secondly, I noticed one of the starter classes was Ranger. I understand the skill system is pretty fluid, but how do the starters skills for a ranger compare to a warrior? Is this like a rogue/warrior mix?

BTW, I love the Axiom system (at least what is shown on the screenies). Very cool idea!

Bael
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Welcome Baelthazar!

It's a long story, but through the early development of this first game we decided to simplify the magic system and break all spells into two realms: Elemental and Divination. These are skill based, and if you want you could very easily possess both skills and cast spells from both realms. There is no limitation that says a mage cannot call divine magic, nor vice versa. Personally, I hope to expand the magic system out into multiple realms for Book II, but we are not to that point yet to make that decision.

We don't have summonable creatures in this game, unfortunately. But there is a fairly powerful Charm spell that can be used to cause a creature to fight on your side. I say it's powerful because when used on multiple creatures, you can pretty much have a horde of monsters fight themselves without you taking a single hit.

There are five base classes. A base class give you a free predetermined skill (for example, Rangers get the Bow skill automatically; Fighters get the Sword skill) and your character receives a special attack unique to his class. There is also a title reserved for each class/axiom combo, which is really just cosmetic at this point but it will come out in future games. Ultimately, the idea is that classes don't limit your development: you can have a mage fighter, healer rogue, alchemist ranger, etc. It's really about the skills you pick that define your character, not the class itself.
Baelthazar
Initiate

Post by Baelthazar »

Sounds great! Simple is fine by me, and having multiple skill trees of magic can lead to overspecialization and less "fun" (who wants to be casting one fire spell the entire game, for instance).

I meant to ask earlier, learning spells is level based, skill based, or "read a scroll based/" I think I read you learn from scrolls, cast by level, and effectiveness is skill based? Is this right?

Bael

p.s. thanks for the response, I'm sure things are busy right now!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

You read scrolls to learn spells. Scrolls can be bought or found.

All spells are divided into 3 different complexity ratings- simple, moderate, and difficult. So for example, the basic spell "Divine Heal" is considered simple to learn and use, but the spell "Supernova" is difficult. It takes a specific skill level (in the appropriate magic realm) and a specific intelligence rating to be able to read these different scrolls.

The level of effect of each spell is based both on your skill level, and the casting level at which you choose to cast it at.
Quaan
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Quaan »

Once you learned a spell is there still a chance you fail to cast it like in
Ultima Online?Or is it more like that you mess up the spell because you
were distracted by an attack or something else?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

You'll never experience spell failure when casting a spell passively, but when casting during combat, the computer checks how many enemies are surrounding you and calculates chance of spell failure based on your skill level. So, yes, during combat your spell may fail, specifically when surrounded by one or more enemies.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

What will the role of Dieties be in this game?

Dont think this has been discussed......will a character be able to worship a particular god? If so, what will the game impacts be?
Siemova
Apprentice

Post by Siemova »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
Taliboy wrote:1.Game will be checking patch server automatically and download them or player will be need to check website and download them manually?
1) No, not with this game. I really wouldn't know how to implement something like that without it getting hacked to pieces, so we'll just release patches the old fashion way.
I know it wouldn't work on the Windows side, but for the Mac version you might try looking into Sparkle. A very handy, secure addition, and quick to implement! :) I wish more programs made use of it.
"What you embrace is what you become."
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Thanks Siemova! We'll look into it!
Siemova
Apprentice

Post by Siemova »

This looks like a worthy venture to support. It may not be much, but I'm glad to contribute however I can. :)

Thanks for being willing to make the games cross-platform, and to consider suggestions!
"What you embrace is what you become."
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Sorry to skip over you Saxon1974...

There are deities mentioned at certain points in the game. It is assumed if you select a theistic axiom that you probably worship one of them, but we don't deal with it much. Although, I do like thought of various deities aiding the player in certain ways...we'll have to add that in Book II.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Sorry to skip over you Saxon1974...

There are deities mentioned at certain points in the game. It is assumed if you select a theistic axiom that you probably worship one of them, but we don't deal with it much. Although, I do like thought of various deities aiding the player in certain ways...we'll have to add that in Book II.
No problem, thanks for responding!

I am reading a book where all the gods were cast out of the heavens for stealing something from the most powerful god, and had to assume a human avatar and recover the item\items. Their powers were limited in human form and it caused their follower's magic to not work properly unless they were near their gods\goddesses.

Anyway, just made me think it would be something interesting in a game.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

We've been doing a lot of internal playtesting over the past week. We've generated two pages of "must fix" problems. There were a few actual bugs in that list, but mostly it was game balancing needed, dialog that needs reviewed, narration that needs added, and graphics that need touched up.

The very last section of the game- the "end game" map- is still very raw. It was just put together quickly to get all of our scripts tested so it needs some serious attention.

So, just a few more weeks and we'll be posting a link to let some of you sign up to help with beta testing.
Fleisch
Marshall

Post by Fleisch »

Ooo! Ooo! Pick me, pick me! [commences annoying grovel]

I'll be looking for it in my RSS feed :)
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Dragonlady wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote: So, just a few more weeks and we'll be posting a link to let some of you sign up to help with beta testing.

:lol: Woot! Yipee! :D
This is always so hard for me to decide on (Whether I wanna beta test or not).

On the one hand I would love to help out and get an early look at the game. On the other hand, I really love the experience of playing a completed game the first time through once the bugs are all worked out. Kind of lessens the experience of actually playing it if I already went through much of it in beta. Im a constant dilemna. :?