Loki

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Fleisch
Marshall

Loki

Post by Fleisch »

Anyone try this game? Looks like a Diablo clone, from a French developer.

http://www.loki-game.com/en/news/index.php

(This is why I need to sign up for the beta. I wouldn't normally spoil my enjoyment of a full game by beta testing, but I'm desperate for a good RPG and have to stop myself from looking up this sort of stuff, or buying old games I used to have off eBay.) :oops:
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Ouch. I looked up Loki on Gamerankings.com and saw it has been poorly received...

http://gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/932232.asp?q=loki

I'd love to give it a try when a demo is available.
Fleisch
Marshall

Post by Fleisch »

I wasn't aware of that Gamesrankings site. I checked Loki out on Metacritic, where it did only marginally better (60%) (and as usual, with better reception from the public). That Eurogamer score brings it way down, but overall I get the impression it's competent if not inspired, but with potential lag that freezes your character.

Metacritic had a link to a very informative review, and I too would be interested in a demo.

http://www.acegamez.co.uk/reviews_pc/Loki_PC.htm
Baelthazar
Initiate

Loki Demo

Post by Baelthazar »

Fileplanet.com has had a demo of Loki up for several weeks now. I completely ignored it, because it looked like one of those Korean MMORPG, which are the worst thing to hit RPGs that I can think of.

Anyway, here is the link:

Loki Demo on Fileplanet
Fleisch
Marshall

Post by Fleisch »

Thanks, chances are it's not too great, but it's definitely not a Korean MMORPG. Speaking of that hideous genre, have I mentioned the beautiful but unintentionally hilarious Sword of the New World here? The one part of it I found amusing (other than the 18th century costumes) was the way one of the shopkeepers swears at you (yes, really swears -- mildly) or insults you in various ways if you open the trade screen and don't buy anything.
Baelthazar
Initiate

Post by Baelthazar »

That is pretty funny, swearing if you don't buy anything.

I tried the Loki demo, meh. I was experiencing some choppy performance, not sure why, as my computer can run Bioshock with little problems. Of course, I have choppy issues with Titan's Quest too, so I blame the games' engines. As far as the gameplay goes, it seems like a normal Diablo clone to me. The inventory management is a bit of a huge pain, and there isn't a good way to compare what you have with what you can buy or equip. To tell you the truth, the game seems a bit like a crappier version of Titan's Quest, so you would be better off with that, I would think. The blood fx were nice, and the way one learns skills is pretty cool, as is the impressive number of skills. Character customization does seem to be rather well done.

I just hate how every demo has to use the melee character. Would be nice to see some magic in action.

Bael
Baelthazar
Initiate

Post by Baelthazar »

BTW, it looks like Loki is now available for digital purchase on Gamersgate, if you get interested from the demo.

Bael