STAT EFFECTS

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Ojisan
Steward

Re: STAT EFFECTS

Post by Ojisan »

Oh right, i was in power attack mode. Its 22, and 27+2.

Well, anyway at this point i can fight anyway i want. Can nuke them 1 by 1, can use mass dmg spells, or can buff up and kill them in melee hehe. Combat in this game is really easy, unless you restrict yourself with pile of challenges.

Im thinking that true warrior+ untouchable+pacifist can be really funny (in masochistic way)
Slarty
Marshall

Post by Slarty »

Double wait again. Only 27 max damage, then; what ARE the buffs you have cast?
Ojisan
Steward

Post by Ojisan »

For dmg its, bless and str. It seems enkindled weapon doesnt reflect in character sheet...well add 12 dmg to that hehe. Also didnt bother to learn that enchant weapon spell that adds 2? dmg to weapon aswell?

Plus since we trying to compare MAGE melee stats, im not using any swappable melee gear. Im using only mage gear, like perception rings, mana amulet etc. If i deck out in melee gear numbers will be higher.
Slarty
Marshall

Post by Slarty »

Yeah, that's definitely not all the available spells. At least in book 1, Enchanted Weapon added 12 bonus damage to every attack -- easily the single most important buff for damage. There is also Nimbleness for your ToHit.
Ojisan
Steward

Post by Ojisan »

Ok here is more scientific approach:
Unbuffed stats:
Tohit: 8
Dmg: 22+2
Armor: 39
Dmg reduction: 11

Buffs:
Bless lvl 6 - 6 tohit, 6 dmg
Ogre Str lvl 6 - 5 dmg
Nimbleness lvl 6 - 5 armor, 3 tohit
Enkindled Weapon lvl 6 - 12 dmg
Stome skin lvl 6 - 10 armor, 15 dmg reduction
Enachnted weapon? - 2dmg? (cant find spell anywhere)
AgentTBC
Initiate

Post by AgentTBC »

Enchanted weapon is indeed +2 damage and allows you to hit incorporeal enemies or whatever.
Slarty
Marshall

Post by Slarty »

Whoops, guess I mixed up the two E Weapon spells.

Are all of those additions to max dmg or are any additions to bonus dmg? This makes a big difference, as the max dmg effectively adds half as much dmg as the bonus dmg.
Slarty
Marshall

Post by Slarty »

Bump: updated with new info from other users (thanks everybody).
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Slarty wrote:Apologies for the caps, but I figured people would want to be able to find this topic. Here's a list of everything obvious that the stats do:

INTELLIGENCE:
- Max MP on level up (+1 per 10 points for non-Magic Users [BUG])

WISDOM:
- Max MP on level up (+1 per 10 points for Magic Users [BUG])
Slarty, just curious - why do you have the above two listed as "BUGs"? That's exactly the same as the way it worked in Book I, so I don't think it's a "bug", unless there's something I'm missing...
Slarty
Marshall

Post by Slarty »

You probably missed the "non-" part. Magic Users as stated all over the manual, etc and as in Book I and the last 30 years of D&D-based games, benefit from Intelligence; Healers benefit from Wisdom. The game has those benefits reversed in this one particular.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

Just a comment on stats as they influence resistances.

These relationships are non-linear. First of all the relationship is a bit bumpy (you can get one point resistance per stat point for a little bit, then nothing for a couple points, then it kicks in again...).

Also, the overall trend of the benefit trails off a bit at high stat levels (or resistance levels). Most of the time I notice an overall trend of ~1 point resistance per 2 points of the stat. This seems to hold into the 50's, for example increasing Endurance from 46 to 66 yielded me resistance gains in the 9 to 11 range (up to 66 to 74 in actual resistances). However increasing Endurance further from 66 to 86 yields gains in the 7 to 8 range (up to 74 to 81 in actual resistances).

This non-linearity might actually be a function of the resistances themselves rather than the stat level - so higher resistance points may just "cost more" whether you spend stat points or skill points to get them.

Update: Further testing suggests resistance benefits from Medicine or Meditation are very linear, 1 point in the related resistances per skill point applied, so the non-linearity is only from stat contributions.
Last edited by Farwalker on May 30th, 2010, 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wachunga
Initiate

Post by Wachunga »

Don't forget that Strength increases the amount of weight that can be carried/worn on hands for somatic spell requirements. 3 points = 1lb.
Elwro
Senior Steward

Post by Elwro »

How much Intelligence does one need to identify common comestibles like "salted fish", "meat scraps" etc? I didn't think my 10 INT character would be so braindead he'd have to pay for identification every time he saw a fish :D (Yes, I know that you can identify an item if a similar one is in your inventory... but, unfortunately, when the last "copy" of that item is gone, your character forgets all about it.)

So just for future planning, I'm wondering how many points I'll have to invest into INT before I can identify common edible things.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Elwro wrote:How much Intelligence does one need to identify common comestibles like "salted fish", "meat scraps" etc? I didn't think my 10 INT character would be so braindead he'd have to pay for identification every time he saw a fish :D (Yes, I know that you can identify an item if a similar one is in your inventory... but, unfortunately, when the last "copy" of that item is gone, your character forgets all about it.)

So just for future planning, I'm wondering how many points I'll have to invest into INT before I can identify common edible things.
This is why, in the future, I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and start off all my new (non-Mage?...) characters with Level 1 in Lore.

To answer your question, if I had to guess, you probably need INT=15, or maybe even INT=20, to avoid this food ID'ing problem. :|
Elwro
Senior Steward

Post by Elwro »

IJBall wrote:To answer your question, if I had to guess, you probably need INT=15, or maybe even INT=20, to avoid this food ID'ing problem. :|
Hmm. INT=15 is the minimal requirement for learning any sort of spells via reading a scroll, right? I'd have thought that recognizing meat scraps is an easier feat to accomplish :D However, I increased INT to 11 and still have similar identification problems.

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that stats are useful in many different ways... but the mechanics need a bit of fine-tuning. My character can read all sort of books he buys in shops, but he just needed to pay a shopkeeper to have a... Poem Book for Children properly identified. ;-) Characters should be able to identify non-magical pieces of writing (regular books etc) after a right-click!

...well, of course one could tell a story why they shouldn't, too :D