Other CRPGs like this one?

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Does anyone have suggestions for rpg turn based fantasy games for the Mac, preferably freeware or mininmal cash shareware? I'm trying to find something to while away my time till Escalon comes out. For the moment I'm done with beta testing Dinky Dungeon till the next version is released. I'm trying out FAangband but my wrists get very painful having to click on keys for hours on end.

Thanks.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Jora
Initiate

Post by Jora »

I think The Broken Hourglass will be made for Mac too but the combat will be real-time with pause (though it could be pretty tactical). The game will be shareware and it's looking very promising.

http://www.planewalkergames.com/content/view/32/46/
MaratonVege
Pledge

Post by MaratonVege »

Just downloaded the Teudogar and the alliance with rome. I got to thank you for creating this topic. Well im off to -> TEUDOGAR. I wont forget Eschalon of course.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Jora wrote:I think The Broken Hourglass will be made for Mac too but the combat will be real-time with pause (though it could be pretty tactical). The game will be shareware and it's looking very promising.

http://www.planewalkergames.com/content/view/32/46/
It looks interesting but is it for Mac? I looked around but didn't see a mention of what machine it was for and assumed, sigh, PC.

I'm looking for already out freeware, or beta testing free/shareware.
Jora
Initiate

Post by Jora »

Dragonlady wrote:It looks interesting but is it for Mac? I looked around but didn't see a mention of what machine it was for and assumed, sigh, PC.
They seem to be developing it for both PC and Mac.
I'm looking for already out freeware, or beta testing free/shareware.
Apart from Eschalon, The Broken Hourglass, and the streams of Geneforge and Avernum titles from Spiderweb Software , I don't think there are other (notable?) RPGs being made for Mac.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Big sigh. Your right. :(

However, I found an interesting little game for both Mac and PC that is simple enough for my ol' mind to handle. It is still in the works. Just released (still being worked on) today. It is a city sim. Called "City of Rauma". You can find out more about it and download (free) the game here: http://www.raumagame.com/

I've already gotten 500 people in my little city, though my approval rating is only 30% :) Those people are greedy for 'the Good Life' stuff like parks, libraries, Hocky rinks, etc. and those cost! :lol:
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

Hey that looks neat. I love city builder games!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
RaymondLaw
Initiate

Post by RaymondLaw »

Agreed. Camera angle is quite disorienting :S I'd prefer an isometric-view like most CRPGS.

Unrelated : Enjoying Arcanum very much :D Can't wait till Eschelon comes out though :[
--
Pie.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Screen angle was hard to get used to but I'm managing. Got the city past 1000 people and spreading outward. I noticed a church like building on one of the screenshots on the website but haven't seen any in the game yet. One thing is beginning to bother me, no way to tell how many parks, fire stations, hockey rinks, etc. I made. Only way to tell is to scroll the screen and try to count them. :( But, it is a game in progress, so maybe in the future there will be ways to tell.

I haven't played a Sim like game for years. Actually the only one I remember is waaaay back when we had a Commodore 500 and had a little game where you had a house with a dog in it and you had to take care of it. If you forgot to check the game after a few days, the dog usually was dead of dehydration or lack of food. :)
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

RaymondLaw wrote:
Unrelated : Enjoying Arcanum very much :D Can't wait till Eschelon comes out though :[
What kind of character are you playing in Arcanum?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
farvardin
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by farvardin »

I'm playing Arcanum now, and it's a real masterpiece !
It reminds me much of Eschalon btw.
I find the gaming system more enjoyable than Baldur's gate or Fallout. The story and side quests are very interesting too.