How is it coming along?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
GianMarco
Fellowcraft Apprentice

How is it coming along?

Post by GianMarco »

Title speaks for itself, haven't heard much from you guys of late.
Still coming in november?
"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent Him." - Helios
D-elf
Initiate

tiny update

Post by D-elf »

Yeah, a tiny update would be great to ease our pain ;-)
screeg
Marshall

Thirded

Post by screeg »

I'm about to return to Gothic 3 and try their fan patch, but I'd rather be playing turn-based!
Cyclopean - an HP Lovecraft inspired Role-Playing Game
PaSquall
Steward

Post by PaSquall »

Talking of gothic3, does it REALLY need 1.5 Gb of RAM ??? I'll have to wait for a new computer to play it, but I'm curious.
On a larger note, what do you think of the game ? I heard there are many bugs, is this true ?
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Hmm, I have 1 gig ram and the game ran fine for me.

I won't play it until a fan patch fixes combat, the moving forward and repeated left click to kill any foe ruined the game for me. I doubt this will be fixed though.
Grue
Steward

Post by Grue »

Saxon1974 wrote:{snip} until a fan patch fixes combat {snip}
Amen! That is exactly what I'm waiting for as well. For me, Gothic 3's combat system ruined the whole game. Unfortunately, I doubt (like you) we'll ever get such a patch, especially now that PB is no longer working on the patches, since they parted ways with Jowood (months ago). Any major overhaul to the underlying game mechanincs (like the combat system) will be, IMHO, beyond the scope of any fan-made patches. Jowood has promised a "real" patch for over a year now. Whether you believe it'll happen or not, nothing guarantees it'll do anything to the combat system as, IIRC, it was not on the fix list to begin with.

That said, I must congratulate the fan patch team. They've fixed countless small bugs (in quests, item stats etc.) and have made the game more playable overall. It's just that, for me, the biggest beef (so to say) with the game is the combat system and that is essentially unchanged from what is was originally.

What do I think of the game? I was hugely disappointed. I was a big fan of Gothic 2 and couldn't believe they had blundered on G3 this badly. Sure, it looks pretty (at times, really pretty) and has a huge game world, but none of that counts if the game itself isn't good. As said before (many times already :roll: ), the combat system is horrible (and it is a BIG part of Gothic's game experince), enemy AI is really dumb, the game balance is way out of whack (e.g. you can kill orc warriors by the dozen, but a single wolf can still tear you to pieces), the load and save times are atrocious, there is no quest journal as such (so you better write everything down, including the whereabouts of the quest-giver), etc. etc. There is a lot of potential in Gothic 3, it is the proverbial unpolished gem, but sadly it still needs a LOT of polishing (an overhaul no less). IMHO. YMMV.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Grue wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote:{snip} until a fan patch fixes combat {snip}
Amen! That is exactly what I'm waiting for as well. For me, Gothic 3's combat system ruined the whole game. Unfortunately, I doubt (like you) we'll ever get such a patch, especially now that PB is no longer working on the patches, since they parted ways with Jowood (months ago). Any major overhaul to the underlying game mechanincs (like the combat system) will be, IMHO, beyond the scope of any fan-made patches. Jowood has promised a "real" patch for over a year now. Whether you believe it'll happen or not, nothing guarantees it'll do anything to the combat system as, IIRC, it was not on the fix list to begin with.

That said, I must congratulate the fan patch team. They've fixed countless small bugs (in quests, item stats etc.) and have made the game more playable overall. It's just that, for me, the biggest beef (so to say) with the game is the combat system and that is essentially unchanged from what is was originally.

What do I think of the game? I was hugely disappointed. I was a big fan of Gothic 2 and couldn't believe they had blundered on G3 this badly. Sure, it looks pretty (at times, really pretty) and has a huge game world, but none of that counts if the game itself isn't good. As said before (many times already :roll: ), the combat system is horrible (and it is a BIG part of Gothic's game experince), enemy AI is really dumb, the game balance is way out of whack (e.g. you can kill orc warriors by the dozen, but a single wolf can still tear you to pieces), the load and save times are atrocious, there is no quest journal as such (so you better write everything down, including the whereabouts of the quest-giver), etc. etc. There is a lot of potential in Gothic 3, it is the proverbial unpolished gem, but sadly it still needs a LOT of polishing (an overhaul no less). IMHO. YMMV.
I completely agree with you grue, although I think we are probably in the wrong forum for this discussion.

The only things I didnt have a problem with as you did are the quest journal and the load times, they were fine for me.
screeg
Marshall

Post by screeg »

I never played the earlier Gothics, but I didn't think combat was a complete catastrophe, about on level with Oblivion for instance. The game ran mostly bug free, but I seem to be lucky that way.

I recommend it, especially since the price must have come down a bit by now. There's a lot of combat, of course, but a lot of other good times to be had as well.
Cyclopean - an HP Lovecraft inspired Role-Playing Game