Q&A - Ask a question, Get an answer

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Sorry, English only for now. Localized versions, if we do any, would probably be done in our spare time while working on Book II.
jinnes
Apprentice

license question

Post by jinnes »

Hi BW. I have a question about the licensing. I have both a Mac and a PC. I would prefer to play on the Mac, but I am impatient and I know I will want to buy the PC version since it's coming out first.

What I'm wondering is -- will you make the license cross-platform? In other words, do I buy "Eschalon" and I can play either the PC or the Mac? Or do I have to buy them as if they were two separate products?

From the point of view of intellectual property licensing fairness, I'd like to encourage you to license the game indepedent of platform. But I know the realities of third-party unlock/license providers may make that impossible.

Ah well, worst case I guess I can always play the PC demo over and over until the Mac comes out...

Thanks and good luckw ith the beta period. (Pick me! Pick me! :)

-Jason
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Good question. From a straight licensing point-of-view, yes you should be required to buy a separate game for the Mac, just as you would have to buy a separate version of Photoshop for both your Windows and Mac machines.

However, we are a small company and want our customers happy. We may have a very short period of time after the Mac version is released (30 days?) where you can convert your license and get a Mac version if you have already bought the Windows version. We'll try to get something like this figured out.
jinnes
Apprentice

Post by jinnes »

If you can implement the license conversion, that would be a great compromise and would certainly make me happy (and earn you a LOT of kudos points from Mac users in general who often feel like they're playing second-fiddle to PC gamers).

So, if you do the license conversion, does that mean the saved games will be cross platform too, so I don't have to start over? ;) *ducks and runs*
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

There should be no difference in saved game files between platforms. The data structure is identical, so I think you could copy saved games over without problems (no promises...but I'll try to test this soon).
PhilosophiX
Marshall

Post by PhilosophiX »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Good question. From a straight licensing point-of-view, yes you should be required to buy a separate game for the Mac, just as you would have to buy a separate version of Photoshop for both your Windows and Mac machines.

However, we are a small company and want our customers happy. We may have a very short period of time after the Mac version is released (30 days?) where you can convert your license and get a Mac version if you have already bought the Windows version. We'll try to get something like this figured out.
If you were to implement such an offer, would it extend as far as us Linux users?

Thanks
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Yes we would work something similar out, probably a 30-day period to allow you to change your license from Win to Linux, but probably not Mac to Linux.

There's a very good chance Eschalon will function under Wine as well (I haven't tried it yet). Even if it does, you can still expect full native Linux support.
PhilosophiX
Marshall

Post by PhilosophiX »

Thanks, that's good to know. If that's the case then I'll surely get windows first and then exchange it for Linux, that means I'll be able to play Eschalon while I'm working. :D
What is a man, If his chief good and market of his time Be but to sleep and feed? a beast, no more. Sure, he that made us with such large discourse, Looking before and after, gave us not that capability and god-like reason to fust in us unused.
MaratonVege
Pledge

how epic is the game going to be?

Post by MaratonVege »

OK hi, i am a newbie here. So i wanted to ask how EPIC game is Eschalon BOOK I going to be? i hope the story is worth playing, you know :) .
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

I assume it will be SUPER EPIC and will redine roleplaying as we know it with unprecedented levels of immersion! :)
Gothmog
Marshall

Post by Gothmog »

Yes. The return of CRPG!!!
"FUL IR"
Grue
Steward

Post by Grue »

The REVENGE of CRPG!!! ;)
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
PhilosophiX
Marshall

Post by PhilosophiX »

The CRPG strikes back!
What is a man, If his chief good and market of his time Be but to sleep and feed? a beast, no more. Sure, he that made us with such large discourse, Looking before and after, gave us not that capability and god-like reason to fust in us unused.
mai
Initiate

Post by mai »

Hi!

I've got few questions according forthcoming release, sorry if they were already answered. First of all, how much it costs? And which payment method did you accept? Money order, personal check or PayPal? Of course, as long as it will be distributed through Internet I suppose, PayPal is preferred for me :)

Thanks!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Hi mai,

I believe we have decided on $27.95 US for the game. It will be distributed through Plimus, so all major credit cards and PayPal are accepted.

We should have information soon on how to send in a money order if you can't use normal online methods.