Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Patch 1.04

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Patch 1.04 Change Log:

[FIXED]: Bug with Haste III potions
[FIXED]: Even more map issues.
[FIXED]: Enchant Weapon scroll has proper icon.
[FIXED]: ESC from Portal Spell works.
[FIXED]: The game should now work on most non-English versions of Windows, whereas the previous version would crash when not being able to see "My Documents".
[FIXED]: Made changes to the Character Editor to eliminate a few remaining bugs.
[UPDATED]: Added an additional error message to the save-game process to notify players if there is a problem.

Please be aware:
The "My Document" fix may actually cause some problems for people whose Documents are not actually called "My Documents". If the game doesn't see "My Documents", it will attempt to save the game inside the installation directory. You may need to do some manual copying of your saved games to the new directory if this happens.

Get it from GamersHell: http://www.gamershell.com/download_22402.shtml
Last edited by BasiliskWrangler on January 10th, 2008, 8:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
alpha
Steward

Post by alpha »

Thank you
Incinerator Fuel = Pure Ownage xD
macmert
Apprentice

Post by macmert »

Cool and thx for the updates hope to see the official patch soon :D
JOG
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Re: Patch 1.04 BETA

Post by JOG »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Here is the latest Windows BETA patch.
The "My Document" fix may actually cause some problems for people whose Documents are not actually called "My Documents". If the game doesn't see "My Documents", it will attempt to save the game inside the installation directory. You may need to do some manual copying of your saved games to the new directory if this happens.
Yep, this is exactly what happens:

German Windows ("My Documents" is named "Eigene Dateien" and by default links to "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\<User>\Eigene Dateien")

On my PC it links to "E:\Savegames" instead, and I use a different folder for documents...

Eschalon 1.00 - 1.03 worked fine here, the savegames were stored into
"E:\Savegames\Eschalon Book 1 Saved Games" as intended by Microsoft.

V 1.04 no longer recognizes my non-english "My Documents" folder and places the savegames to "E:\Games\Eschalon..." where I installed the game...

While IMO this is where savegames belong to, this also means that Eschalon is no longer Vista-compatible, and may have problems with restricted access-rights.

Your problem with foreign windows versions was more likely with non-ASCII-255 letters (e.g. cyrillic alphabet letters) being crippled because Eschalon doesn't interprete the unicode-strings correctly.

If you right now use the quite common

Code: Select all

GetSpecialFolderLocation(ID,String)
path = Left(string,InStr(String,#0)-1)
You should try to use the official way to handle the path-list:

Code: Select all

GetSpecialFolderLocation(ID,String)
GetPathFromIDList(String,Path)
Nevertheless: For me this new bug is a feature, and when you fix this to retain Vista-compatibility, please leave an option for your self-responsible users to put the savegames into the game's installation folder.
Nuts)
Pledge

Post by Nuts) »

Most useful patch of all,fix with "My Documents" is rule. i like this game more with every patch :D *waiting for full realise*
Pickpocket
Initiate

Post by Pickpocket »

Link is broken.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Sorry- updated the link.
Jammeez
Initiate

Re: Patch 1.04

Post by Jammeez »

I have patch 1.03. Is there a patch 1.05? (I didn't find one in the index.) And, do I need to used each patch, or will the latest do it all?

Thanks.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

You'll need to send your purchase information to BW and he'll send you a new download link, Jameez. Basilisk doesn't use patches. Each update is the whole game. With Book II, this is easy as the "Demo" download is the complete game with only the Demo area unlocked until you enter your purchase code, but Book I had a separate Demo file from the full game file.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Jammeez
Initiate

Post by Jammeez »

Okay, thanks! :mrgreen: