Eschalon: Book II version 1.04 BETA

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: Eschalon: Book II version 1.04 BETA

Post by sirdilznik »

I don't think Cat's Eyes is functioning correctly now with 1.04c BETA...

With the spell active and in the dark it no longer gives away your position when you're hidden, that part is fixed but now the attack bonuses for myself and my enemies in darkness don't seem right:

I brought out my old fighter character for a test. Here is a screenie without Cat's Eyes:
Notice the spell is not active. Everything seems in order. Both my character and the opponent get a -20% chance to hit as it should be in darkness.

Now here is a screenie with Cat's Eyes active:
First off my character is still getting the -20% chance to hit. Is it supposed to be this way? If so then what's the point of Cat's Eyes? More importantly my opponent is suffering a WHOPPING -50% chance to hit!!! I guess I shouldn't be complaining but this doesn't make sense and frankly would make the game too easy for me.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
Farwalker wrote:
IJBall wrote: Hey, Farwalker, would you mind retesting your noise/Hidden effects? - I'm curious to see if your "turn passing with the space bar" still negates Hidden in Shadow...
Yep, checked it - no change on this yet. Trying to wait with spacebar still negates Hidden in Shadow. I'm hoping BW changes it to allow spacebar waiting.
It was fixed based on IJBall's saved game. Your character may have something different that is negating the effect.

Please send a saved game.
Ok, some saved games just sent!
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

sirdilznik wrote:I don't think Cat's Eyes is functioning correctly now with 1.04c BETA...

...now the attack bonuses for myself and my enemies in darkness don't seem right:

I brought out my old fighter character for a test. Here is a screenie without Cat's Eyes: {snip}
Notice the spell is not active. Everything seems in order. Both my character and the opponent get a -20% chance to hit as it should be in darkness.
FWIW, I saw something like this back in Book I - sometimes a 'darkness' penalty was still assessed even under Cat's Eyes, and sometimes it wasn't. I think, but can't be certain, that whether the darkness penalty was assessed or not depended on the direction that a mob attacked from and the direction that my character attacked.

I wonder if what you're seeing is related to that...
sirdilznik wrote:Now here is a screenie with Cat's Eyes active: {snip}
First off my character is still getting the -20% chance to hit. Is it supposed to be this way? If so then what's the point of Cat's Eyes? More importantly my opponent is suffering a WHOPPING -50% chance to hit!!! I guess I shouldn't be complaining but this doesn't make sense and frankly would make the game too easy for me.
I'd suggest you send this Savegame to BW so he can take a look at it too! :wink:
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

IJBall wrote: I'd suggest you send this Savegame to BW so he can take a look at it too! :wink:
Absolutely. Umm... not to sound like a n00b, but how do I do that/what's BW's email address (if that's where he wants me to send this save game)?
Will Pay For Cloth Map
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

zip up the "slot" folder that your savegame is in and send it to info @ basiliskgames dot com..
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

sirdilznik wrote:
IJBall wrote: I'd suggest you send this Savegame to BW so he can take a look at it too! :wink:
Absolutely. Umm... not to sound like a n00b, but how do I do that/what's BW's email address (if that's where he wants me to send this save game)?
OK, let me just go through the whole process for doing this, in case other people are wondering how to do it too! :mrgreen:

First, figure out in which 'save slot' the game you want to send BW is in - the save 'slots' are numbered from "1" (the Quicksave slot at the top of the Savegames list) thru "20" (the save slot at the bottom of the Savegames list).

If you don't know where your Savegames are saved, go to Book II's main menu, and click on the line at the bottom with the Copyright(C) info - clicking on that will show you the filepath to the Savegames folders.

Then, compress (I'm guessing .zip is best) the entire save folder for whichever save 'slot' you want to send to BW.

Now you're all set - attach the .zip (or whatever) compressed file to an E-mail, and send it to info @ basiliskgames.com .

I'd put some info about your Savefile in the E-mail's title, so that BW knows what's going on.

And, viola! That should be it! :)
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Thanks IJBALL, I know exactly where my save games are and how to compress them (I'll use bz2 or 7zip to save the most space), I just needed the email address. But thank you anyway for all the other info, it's always a good idea to idiot proof (no offense intended) all instructions. Too much info is always better than not enough info :thumbsup:
Will Pay For Cloth Map
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Elwro wrote:I just finished the game playing the 1.04a BETA Linux version. Unfortunately, I found a bug I'd consider a serious one! Namely, using the Riposte feat negates the Haste effect. It continues to be displayed on the screen, and you can check how many turns the game says you'll still be hasted, but in fact you're not hasted anymore! Just checked twice to be sure.
I can now confirm this issue - using Skill Feat:Riposte does indeed "cancel" my Fighter character's 'Haste' status.

BW, let me know if you need a Savefile of this - I've got a save near some Outlanders with this Fighter who's got a Haste potion. But every time I drink it, and then use Riposte, the 'Haste' status goes away.

Incidentally, as I'm playing my Fighter again, I notice that the 'crackle-y'/glitchy combat sound is still present in v1.04c on the Mac. So that issue hasn't been solved either. FWIW.

Edit: Also, the Character Creation Screen's description for Hide in Shadows still makes reference to it being supported by Dexterity (which it isn't any longer).

Meanwhile, the Character Creation Screen's description for Armor, Shields fails to mention anything about Shields' protection against Thrown Weapons at higher Levels.
Elwro
Senior Steward

Post by Elwro »

IJBall wrote:I can now confirm this issue - using Skill Feat:Riposte does indeed "cancel" my Fighter character's 'Haste' status.
Thanks for checking this, now I know it was not my paranoia :D
obiwan
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by obiwan »

I know we are talking/testing the HiS issues.

But anybody noticed powder kegs disappear when you pick them up while there is no room in your inventory?

I vote for a 1.04d in which they explode instead! ("When you take up one more of these powder kegs, but you trip and suddenly your whole stack of loot falls down and.....")
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

sirdilznik wrote:I don't think Cat's Eyes is functioning correctly now with 1.04c BETA...
Confirmed. You see the screen still lighting up, but the attack penalty remains.
It seems the game now ignores the fact that the tiles have lit up.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Okay...here's where we stand:

Riposte negates Haste - this is not a bug. Riposte is a defense- you can't hasten a defense! Your attacker is not moving as fast as you, and you can only defend as fast as they attack. You are effectively dropping out of "rapid mode" to more accuratly defend against enemies. This is both a rules issue and an exploit fix.

Cat's Eyes - everything should be fixed. Remember Cat's Eyes is just a boost to your ability to attack in the dark. In some cases this completely removes the darkness penalty, in other cases it won't. In the darkest of dungeons you are still likely to get some kind of attack penalty even with Cat's Eyes. To completely eliminate all penalties, use Predator Sight.

All other concerns regarding Hidden in Shadows - I think they are all fixed. Everything feels 'right' with me. At this point we may be down to "preference issues" where some people like the skill to perform one way, while others prefer it to work another. Unless a real, solid, game-wrecking bug can be posted I am closing this issue and moving on...

Version 1.04d will be posted in a bit.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Elwro
Senior Steward

Post by Elwro »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Okay...here's where we stand:

Riposte negates Haste - this is not a bug. Riposte is a defense- you can't hasten a defense! Your attacker is not moving as fast as you, and you can only defend as fast as they attack. You are effectively dropping out of "rapid mode" to more accurately defend against enemies. This is both a rules issue and an exploit fix.
The bug is that the box for the Haste effect is still displayed on the screen and if you click on it the game will tell you for how many turns you are hasted, while in fact you are no longer hasted at all.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Elwro wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:Okay...here's where we stand:

Riposte negates Haste - this is not a bug. Riposte is a defense- you can't hasten a defense! Your attacker is not moving as fast as you, and you can only defend as fast as they attack. You are effectively dropping out of "rapid mode" to more accurately defend against enemies. This is both a rules issue and an exploit fix.
The bug is that the box for the Haste effect is still displayed on the screen and if you click on it the game will tell you for how many turns you are hasted, while in fact you are no longer hasted at all.
Oh, heh. Yeah I knew that. Just seeing if you were on top of it. Fixed for 1.04d. :wink:
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Elwro
Senior Steward

Post by Elwro »

Great :D