Magic casting limited by weight in hands

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Gwendo
Apprentice

Magic casting limited by weight in hands

Post by Gwendo »

I'm playing a Paladin, basically a warrior that can cast Bless without the Divination skill.

After finding a shield, I ceased to be able to cast Bless. A message appears that, due to various reasons, including Strength, I couldn't carry more that 5 pounds in my hands, when casting a spell. (With the sword and shield, I was carrying 6 pounds)

Having 15 points of strength, when I leveled up, I've spent 2 points in Strenght (17 points now).

The same message appears, saying that I can't cast a spell when carrying more than 5 pounds. It seems the strenght increase didn't affect anything about this.

So, is this a bug, am I missing something?
Per
Apprentice

Post by Per »

According to the manual this is correct. The limitation is 1/3 of your strength in pounds, so 17/3 = 5.666... which seems to be rounded down to 5. So you probably need 20 strength to be able to carry 6 pounds in your hands when casting spells.
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Post by GSV3MiaC »

Manual? Did I miss a manual someplace??? (Playing the demo)
Asharak
Apprentice

Post by Asharak »

And you can cast Bless - just take the shield out of your hand while you cast it, then put it back.

- Ash
Amasius
Apprentice

Post by Amasius »

The manual should be in the directory your game is installed in. You can switch weapons without loosing a turn to bare hands, cast a spell and switch back and hack the monster in pieces.
Asharak
Apprentice

Post by Asharak »

Amasius wrote:The manual should be in the directory your game is installed in. You can switch weapons without loosing a turn to bare hands, cast a spell and switch back and hack the monster in pieces.
Yeah, I find this quite annoying. Or rather, I find being able to do this quite useful, but the fact that it can be done is an annoying, sloppy game mechanic. All the weight restriction currently achieves is making a one-click casting operation require five or six clicks.

If the casting-weight-limit is a feature that needs to stay in the game, a couple things should be done:

1) It should be waived/ignored when not in combat/no enemies are near.

2) In combat, removing or switching gear should cost an action.

- Ash
Gwendo
Apprentice

Post by Gwendo »

I don't know if there are any stat limits, but I think adding 2 points to strength should have a bigger impact. I need 20 to cast a spell with 6 pounds in my hands?

I mean, I'm getting the sense that magic users have advantage in this game. If we add the various disadvantages that the non-magic PCs have to deal with... Frustating, maybe even unbalanced.

Edit: I think I will restart the game with a magic user. Due to the, I must say, underwhelming combat system, PCs with range combat skill and spell have clear advantage.

PS: BTW, I'm enjoying the game. Besides some balancing issues, the only thing that it's keeping me from saying this game is great, is the combat system. Really.
Claw
Apprentice

Post by Claw »

Per wrote:According to the manual this is correct. The limitation is 1/3 of your strength in pounds, so 17/3 = 5.666... which seems to be rounded down to 5. So you probably need 20 strength to be able to carry 6 pounds in your hands when casting spells.
Hmm... 1/3 of 18 is 6... so why 20?