[medium] [discussion] Bashing objects

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
RezoApio
Marshall

[medium] [discussion] Bashing objects

Post by RezoApio »

I have read in some other posts about this but I'd like to share some thought on this topic.

Bashing the alchimist chest with bare hands takes time and will attract monster so that's good.
However I do much more damage with hands (up to 10) than with the Iron dagger that never goes over 3 or 4. And it is fair to lose 1 HP each time you smash something ;-) maybe it should be more than 1 for reinforced stuff.

There should be a mode when you do not really bash the barrel but rather try to open the top so it should not need to put it to 0% condition. You should still have chance to break your tool. I had no option to try with axe or such like so I do not know if it works better.

However contrary to another post I could not do any damage at all on the reinforced door upstairs in the inn probably because I am not strong enough so for me that part of the process is just fine.

Maybe some others comments on that topic ?
Gardez suffisament d'humour pour ne pas perdre l'esprit au nom de la raison.
Ama la realidad que construyes y ni aun la muerte detendra tu paso.
vid
Senior Steward

Post by vid »

when bashing stuff with bare hands there should be a chance to suffer hp-loss for each attempt.
DGM
Initiate

Post by DGM »

However contrary to another post I could not do any damage at all on the reinforced door upstairs in the inn probably because I am not strong enough so for me that part of the process is just fine.
I admit that my strength was extremely high for that expiriment. I got a good roll and then dumped all 15 free points into it, as well as maxing out Unarmed. Even then I was only doing a single point of damage roughly half the time. I don't know what the threshhold is for being able to damage that door at all.

But still, if you're making a fighting character you're going to want a lot of strength eventually anyway, and a few points in Unarmed is a small price to pay for being able to bash open anything in your way.
DGM
Initiate

Post by DGM »

vid wrote:when bashing stuff with bare hands there should be a chance to suffer hp-loss for each attempt.
Unfortunately, that doesn't solve the problem. You can just keep resting to get effectively unlimited HP and MP. That's why I can use Fire Dart to mow down anything in my way as well.
DGM
Initiate

Post by DGM »

I just did some further tests on this. Even with the lowest possible starting strength of 7, a character with 5 in Unarmed Combat can damage the heavy-oak-and-steel door. It might take a few swings for each point of damage you do, but you can do it.
vid
Senior Steward

Post by vid »

DGM wrote:
vid wrote:when bashing stuff with bare hands there should be a chance to suffer hp-loss for each attempt.
Unfortunately, that doesn't solve the problem. You can just keep resting to get effectively unlimited HP and MP. That's why I can use Fire Dart to mow down anything in my way as well.
ok, but isn´t that realistic then? you invest several days, blood and sweat to pry open a door with your bare hands...
RezoApio
Marshall

Post by RezoApio »

I do agree with that comment... if you have several days and some nurses :lol: to tend your wounds, anybody can bash even a very hardened door....
Gardez suffisament d'humour pour ne pas perdre l'esprit au nom de la raison.
Ama la realidad que construyes y ni aun la muerte detendra tu paso.
Fleisch
Marshall

Post by Fleisch »

RezoApio said:
There should be a mode when you do not really bash the barrel but rather try to open the top so it should not need to put it to 0% condition. You should still have chance to break your tool. I had no option to try with axe or such like so I do not know if it works better.
I agree that for barrels you should be able to try to pry the top off or cleave a hole in it rather than bash the whole thing to pieces. It should be easier to open a barrel than a door.
Siemova
Apprentice

Post by Siemova »

Personally, although I understand it's supposed to be fairly realistic, I wish bashing things were a little easier. Having to hit a barrel 100+ times, and perhaps rest a couple days' worth just to see its contents... well, it gets old fast. You basically either have to be a rogue or a mage if you want to get half the loot at the beginning of the game. I've seen talk about "balancing" bashing to make it even harder for melee-types, but that sounds pretty ludicrous to me. It should be easier, so such characters aren't at a major disadvantage early on. Aside from that, I like the system.
"What you embrace is what you become."