Suggestions for improvements

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
D-elf
Initiate

slow movement

Post by D-elf »

Please add a run button/option, and make it only available until a hostile creature spots you.
Siemova
Apprentice

Re: slow movement

Post by Siemova »

D-elf wrote:Please add a run button/option, and make it only available until a hostile creature spots you.
I got a good buddy of mine excited about the game, but he called me today and said he probably wouldn't buy it, although he likes it, if only for one reason: he's frustrated that the character moves too slowly for such an exploration-heavy game. A "run" option (or some other way to speed up movement) would indeed be welcome.

I second the suggestion to move via numpad. Using the mouse is not terrible, but I find it somewhat awkward sometimes. Having the choice would be excellent.

Otherwise, no big complaints so far! Thanks for all the hard work; this is obviously a labor of love.
"What you embrace is what you become."
therealspud
Initiate

More suggestion ideas

Post by therealspud »

So far I'm enjoying the demo, here are my recommendations after about an hour of playing.

1. agree with earlier comments, hotkey to open inventory, equip and stat windows at once, or join in one window rather then individual windows
2. customable save game location. I installed the game to a usb drive (which works great by the way), so I can move it between machines, except that I have to script syncronzation for the save games, since they aren't saved in the game folder.
3. resolution, I understand the 800x600, but magnification would be nice for those of us playing on higher resolution. You could keep it in a window, but just zoom it bigger.
4. arrow key movement? If you can do it, I haven't figured it out yet. Clicking is ok, but the option of an occasional arrow movement would help
5. auto-sort inventory. Would be nice to have a click button to arrange items within the inventory... put items of similar type (armor, weapons, potions, etc) in order.

What does everything think?

-Spud
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

I have a question about the graphics, I'm waiting for the Mac version so I haven't played it yet but on the Spiderweb games they ask me if I want to change my resolution or not (most of them are 800x600 games and I have a 1640x1020 or whatever this imac's res is). They simply change my monitor's resolution and play scaled up rather nicely on my imac.

Like I said I don't know exactly how this game interacts with resolution but if a similar system was implemented I'm sure it would work fantastic.
Galahad
Pledge

Post by Galahad »

The hero is walking too slow I believe, but I just found a way to let him move incredible fast: just set autowalk in a direction and then press alt-tab to move to the desktop or another program, and the hero will continue walking just 20-30 times faster in the background.

But beware! You have to be on safe ground since you only hear and can't see what happens, and it happens fast!
Fleisch
Marshall

Post by Fleisch »

I agree with the person who wanted to be able to spend saved skill points between level ups.

I'd also like more save game slots.
RezoApio
Marshall

Post by RezoApio »

What I would like is the possibility to close any window with just one click on it (like the quest window) because I mainly play with the mouse and I do not like to have to go click on the little icon on the top right after arranging some items on the bottom of my inventory...

For the moment ESC is not so bad... but not optimal to my taste.

My 2 cents
Gardez suffisament d'humour pour ne pas perdre l'esprit au nom de la raison.
Ama la realidad que construyes y ni aun la muerte detendra tu paso.
Tiavals
Initiate

Post by Tiavals »

I don't get it, why on earth would someone want to save skillpoints after a level-up? I can't think of any reason at all to do so, someone care to elaborate?
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

Tiavals wrote:I don't get it, why on earth would someone want to save skillpoints after a level-up? I can't think of any reason at all to do so, someone care to elaborate?
In a game with a wide-open character development system like Eschalon, it's really easy to spread your skill points too thinly. So if you can save up a few, you can then spend them in larger, focused chunks which can make it a bit easier to keep character development focused.

Whenever I play(ed) Arcanum I always saved points up and spent them in larger portions in order to maintain some degree of focus.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
skavenhorde
Initiate

Post by skavenhorde »

I would like to get detailed info about the monsters. Maybe make it another skill that can level up.

I don't care about the RUN button thing some people want because it's a turn based game. If you put in a run option then there goes the turn based and here comes real-time.
Fleisch
Marshall

Post by Fleisch »

Tiavals asked:
I don't get it, why on earth would someone want to save skillpoints after a level-up? I can't think of any reason at all to do so, someone care to elaborate?
Well, for one thing, my character has been quite unlucky, and has no weapon besides a dagger, no spells, and not enough money to buy a spell or a weapon worth committing to, or even a lockpick. So I'd like to reserve 3 points for a new skill and wait for a drop of a spell (so I can decide between elemental and divination) or a decent weapon, so I can pick a weapon tree. Other folks might not want to commit to heavy vs. light armor. Or might want to save in general until they find out what they're having the most problems with, and what new skill might help with that (e.g, is your problem finding nothing but alchemy ingredients; finding lots of unidentified things; having no ranged attack, healing too slow, running out of mana, etc, etc.) Starting a new skill is too expensive to pick one I can't use right away. That's why I won't get mercantile at the beginning -- cost/benefit ratio is awful.
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Post by GSV3MiaC »

I'd agree about skill points when you like. I mean after level up I might want to add +1 to cartography, and walk around a bit before I decide whether I should add another 1, or spend it elsewhere.

I realise that there is probably some interaction between stats and HP gained at level-up time, but I'd be willing to forgo the extras, or even just restrict the 'add when you like' to skills instead of stats? Whatever ..

btw, how come level up restores you to full health? I know several games do it that way (Diablo for a start) but it doesn't seem very realistic.
Gothmog
Marshall

Post by Gothmog »

Why not add a "Arrowmaker"-Skill for Rangers? That would be a great help for the characters who mainly uses bow-weapons. The better you get the deadlier the arrows.
"FUL IR"
Amasius
Apprentice

Post by Amasius »

Arrowmaker? Hm, some kind of tinker skill (like the alchemy skill) in book II would be great for that and other things. :D
OneEyedJack
Initiate

Post by OneEyedJack »

How about additional damage when striking while hidden in shadows? I have a weenie rogue who can't stand toe-to-toe with many things, so I usually have to face tough opponents while hidden and combat takes forever... not to mention a bit tedious.