Regarding Patches

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Mithter Thibbs
Initiate

Regarding Patches

Post by Mithter Thibbs »

A few questions.

Will the boxed version of the game be updated with the latest patch? Or will the base game remain static and players be responsible for downloading any patches that may be out?

Ok, that's only two questions. The reason I'm asking is because I'm wondering whether I should wait until Book I is "finalized" before purchasing, or whether I should just buy now. Saw the note about the downloadable version already being updated on the news page, but no word about the boxed version.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

The boxed version unfortunately went to the duplicators a few days ago, so it will be 1.0, but of course you can patch it immediately.

{edit} I should add that the game was mostly stable at release; patch 1.01 just fixes some exploits and a few obscure bugs that I felt should be taken care immediately.
Opunaesala
Apprentice

Post by Opunaesala »

Also, great job with getting the patch out so quick. Adding in the "X" quick key is super awesome.
salend
Apprentice

!!!

Post by salend »

great game, great support - can't ask for more.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Yea the original version is very playable, very few minor things that didnt really make much a difference to me that are being patched.
Mithter Thibbs
Initiate

Post by Mithter Thibbs »

Heh. I'm actually less concerned with issues of stability and playability than I am with those of convenience. I've plowed my way through several absolutely bug-infested games before and had a blast doing it -- I'm enough of a nerd to enjoy fiddling with system settings and analyzing the behaviour of software simply for the sake of fiddling and analyzing -- but I'm not and never have been a fan of the "publish now, patch later" paradigm, even if I fully understand how necessary it is. I tend to end up with patches spread over several possible locations, and it gets tiresome tracking them all down when I want to install or reinstall a game.

If subsequent versions of the boxed game will be updated, though, it might save me some aggravation if I can get the finished game all in one go. Not a big deal for me to patch, though, if the duplicators will never see another full version of the game.

I'll echo the kudos on the support, too: prompt responses and a willingness to deal with post-release issues are a huge plus with me. Good job. *thumbs up*