Rangers Welcome!

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Gothmog
Marshall

Rangers Welcome!

Post by Gothmog »

Rangers Welcome. Here is a warm campfire in the middle of a dark Forest.

So im playing a Druidic Ranger from Therish named "Longbow".
My Skills are so far (level 1):
Light Armor
Cartography
Mercantile
Spot Hidden
Survival
Bow Weapons (of course)
Swords

Stats: Strenght 12, Dexterity 15, Endurance 10, Speed 11, Intelligence 12, Wisdom 13, Perception 13, Conentration 13

I would like to know how you fellow RPGs do engage the Ranger-playstyle.
Your welcome to share your knowledge. :)
"FUL IR"
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Hey Gothmog, Im playing a Ranger too. My character is pretty close to yours in skills. I also made him "Therish"

My skills are;
Light armor (Although i just realized chain is heavy armor so im going to swtich this so i can have chain)
cartography
mercantile
lock picks
survival (Not sure if i want this or use alchemy instead?)
bow weapons
swords
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

I too, am playing a Druidic Ranger with the same skills as Gothmog. My first character died when he ran out of arrows..stupid salamanders!..and broke his dagger on a chest trying to bash it open, and a monster came up behind his and killed him. The second one is the same and his stats are much, much better! It was the luck of the dice I guess only rerolled once. Here's what I ended up with:

St. 14, Dex 16, Endur 15, Speed 15, Intel 14, Wis 15, Percept 15, conecent 16. Not too bad. :) Now if I can just stay alive.

Spoiler alert:

Oh, second time around in the first village I found a hidden compartment in a wall by the graveyard. It had an emerald and ruby in it. Woot!
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Seems like arrows are a bit costly so far, they run out quick and are expensive to replenish.

Do you have to have the spot hidden skill to find hidden doors and stuff? IF so, I gotta get that, can't play a game without finding hidden stuff!
Gothmog
Marshall

Post by Gothmog »

Hmm the arrow-problem is a problem i think. At the moment i have a good supply but no more money left. I hope i can make some cash.

The First-Aid Flasks are a little expensive. So resting is a common thing with my ranger.

Ive got the spot hidden...but realized nothing special until now. Maybe i have to pimb him a little bit. :D
"FUL IR"
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Saxon1974 wrote:Seems like arrows are a bit costly so far, they run out quick and are expensive to replenish.

Do you have to have the spot hidden skill to find hidden doors and stuff? IF so, I gotta get that, can't play a game without finding hidden stuff!
I do have 'spot hidden' with a 1 skill in it.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Dragonlady wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote:Seems like arrows are a bit costly so far, they run out quick and are expensive to replenish.

I do have 'spot hidden' with a 1 skill in it.
Dang it I just got the spot hidden skill, so Im going to have to go back to Elderhollow now:) I found a book that tought me the skill without having to spend skill points on it :lol:
Gothmog
Marshall

Post by Gothmog »

Hmmm there MUST be some kind of luck-factor. At the moment my Ranger is not realy a thread to any monster.... :(
"FUL IR"
Gothmog
Marshall

Post by Gothmog »

So whats with the cat-eye potion? Im in a dungeon. I want to use my Bow. But its too dark. So the clever Ranger is using a cat-eye potion. Nice...buuuuut the system penalts my bow and ignores my nightvision.
"FUL IR"
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Gothmog wrote:So whats with the cat-eye potion? Im in a dungeon. I want to use my Bow. But its too dark. So the clever Ranger is using a cat-eye potion. Nice...buuuuut the system penalts my bow and ignores my nightvision.
Your right, mine is doing the same thing. Hmmm.

Anyone else notice the same problem?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Cat's Eyes just allows you to see a bit better in dark dungeons without the light- great for sneaking around without being seen. However, you will still suffer some penalty when attacking with it, though not as much as if you were fighting in complete darkness.

Cat's Eyes can be used in conjunction with Torches, Lanterns and Gravedigger Flames to make them appear brighter.

The ultimate hunting solution is Cat's Eyes plus Predator Sight.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Coolness thanks.

It appears that Cat's eyes only lights up the area close to my character though which is probably why it still penalizes me for shooting at things in the distance. If I use it during melee with my sword i dont get the penalties.
chamr
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by chamr »

Gothmog wrote:Hmmm there MUST be some kind of luck-factor. At the moment my Ranger is not realy a thread to any monster.... :(
Hmm... I'm having great fun with my Ranger. Got a little lucky with finding a nice ax, put a skill point into cleaving, and then found a +3 to cleave amulet. So, I pincushion them as they approach, and then finish them off with the ax. Also, I've invested a bit in Div magic for access to Leatherskin, Cat's Eyes, Healing and Entangle. Works really well. Don't get me wrong. It's a challenge, but a FUN one. :)

As a side note, darkness penalties seem to be a bit bugged at this point. Usually, moving about a bit clears the bug, but not always.

One more thing: as the tips in the manual mention: demon oil is your friend! It's bailed me out of a couple of tight spots already.
fishboy11
Initiate

Post by fishboy11 »

i don't think you absolutely need the spot hidden skill, i'm sure it does help greatly tho, i've found about 6 things so far by just walking by them and they'll flash briefly letting you know you've found them and i don't have the spot hidden skill, i'm sure that kind of stuff is just bonus items though and nothing totally necessary, and as far as hidden doors in walls go, you can usually tell they are there because there is something behind them and no door, so you just walk through them.