8.9 earthquake in Japan

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

8.9 earthquake in Japan

Post by Dragonlady »

My heart and prayers go out to those in Japan hit by the earthquake and the tsunami's. also to any of the countries hit by the wave around the Pacific rim. I was watching tv last night when the news of the quake happened. Watching the water come in live on tv was horrible. They say it was the hardest hit Japan has had in 140 years!

If any of you have friends or relatives in Japan or other nearby countries, I hope they are alright.

Oh, dear. They're very worried about a radiation leak from one of the nueculer power plant as I type this. :(

(sorry about my spelling, Im on the sick list today.)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Re: 8.9 earthquake in Japan

Post by llew silverhand »

I heard about this on my way to work this afternoon - I have friends in the Tokyo and Kyoto regions over there.

The potential radiation leak is pretty frightening, I have to say...
Llew Silverhand - Once and Future Gnome King
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

llew silverhand wrote:The potential radiation leak is pretty frightening, I have to say...
I'll say. Isn't this how Godzilla gets made?

Just kidding...I'm the guy that deals with bad situations by cracking jokes. It certainly is going to go down as one of the worst natural disasters of all time. :cry: Hang in there, Far East friends.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
geishaboy
Marshall

Post by geishaboy »

I am in Osaka at the moment, just flew in today this morning to see all of this horrible news. The mad thing is, I have just flown out of earthquake raveged Christchurch, New Zealand.

It's like god is trying to kill me
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

geishaboy wrote:I am in Osaka at the moment, just flew in today this morning to see all of this horrible news. The mad thing is, I have just flown out of earthquake raveged Christchurch, New Zealand.

Whole island of Honshu moved 8 feet east! Wow! And the radiation leaks happening/about to...sad. :(

Oh dear. Umm, maybe she's giving you warning to mend your ways asap. :wink:

PS: Ahh, don't come to the west coast any time soon, okay? *looks worried* :lol:
khaooohs
Initiate

Post by khaooohs »

terrible news, the fact that Japanese people was like very calm when they was evacuating buildings, houses during the shaking...that was surprising or at least for me, we, Chilean people have a loooooooooooooooot to learn about how to react in this kind of situations...is sad, but I trust in the strength of Japanese people, so they will overcome this, u can do it! :wink:

PS: is just me or a lot of earthquakes have been occurring since haiti's ?
sorry for my bad english
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

khaooohs wrote:terrible news, the fact that Japanese people was like very calm when they was evacuating buildings, houses during the shaking...that was surprising or at least for me, we, Chilean people have a loooooooooooooooot to learn about how to react in this kind of situations...is sad, but I trust in the strength of Japanese people, so they will overcome this, u can do it! :wink:

No, I don't think its just you. Actually I think a lot have been happening more and more since the Indonesian one a few years ago. The last year has had an awful lot of them. The moon will be at it's closet approach to earth on the 19th (full moon too), that creates tension, the big solar flares are creating tension..they all add up. Poor earth. :(

edit: forgot to add our daylight is now shorter by 1.6 micro seconds due to the earthquake AND the axis of the earth shifted by 8-10 centimeters. Not a lot (I think, not being a scientist) but don't know if that will effect things including weather patterns. Shrug.
geishaboy
Marshall

Post by geishaboy »

Dragonlady wrote:
geishaboy wrote:I am in Osaka at the moment, just flew in today this morning to see all of this horrible news. The mad thing is, I have just flown out of earthquake raveged Christchurch, New Zealand.

Whole island of Honshu moved 8 feet east! Wow! And the radiation leaks happening/about to...sad. :(

:lol: If she wants me to stop drinking like a fish and smoking like a chimney then she is just going to have to give up
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

You aren't planning on visiting the United States soon? California is due for the big one. :)
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

geishaboy wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:

:lol: If she wants me to stop drinking like a fish and smoking like a chimney then she is just going to have to give up
Well, drinking like a fish is fine..as long as its water or water flavored with non-alcohol. :D As for smoking, you know the consequences for that without my saying anything. Just hope you could slow down or stop before its too late. Shrug. :roll: :lol:

Randomizer: Bite your tongue and cross your fingers! :x I don't want to think about that. Even if I'm inland newscasters last night said a tsunami could reach Sacramento thru the Bay entrance. UGH!
Ladez
Apprentice

Post by Ladez »

Last edited by Ladez on July 14th, 2019, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
khaooohs
Initiate

Post by khaooohs »

Dragonlady wrote:
khaooohs wrote:terrible news, the fact that Japanese people was like very calm when they was evacuating buildings, houses during the shaking...that was surprising or at least for me, we, Chilean people have a loooooooooooooooot to learn about how to react in this kind of situations...is sad, but I trust in the strength of Japanese people, so they will overcome this, u can do it! :wink:

No, I don't think its just you. Actually I think a lot have been happening more and more since the Indonesian one a few years ago. The last year has had an awful lot of them. The moon will be at it's closet approach to earth on the 19th (full moon too), that creates tension, the big solar flares are creating tension..they all add up. Poor earth. :(

edit: forgot to add our daylight is now shorter by 1.6 micro seconds due to the earthquake AND the axis of the earth shifted by 8-10 centimeters. Not a lot (I think, not being a scientist) but don't know if that will effect things including weather patterns. Shrug.
all these things about the moon approaching that not only will affect people too, remember that human is composed with 70% water, and our brain is 90% water too. and the solar activity show us the difference between the nature power and ours...well we must learn that the earth don't belong to us, we belong to the earth, and there is an aboriginal prophecy about the axis of earth...I don't remember the name of the tribe (not the hopi but is in the E.E.U.U if I'm not wrong)...all these things is like those apocalyptic movies... :|
sorry for my bad english
Ladez
Apprentice

Post by Ladez »

khaooohs wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:

all these things about the moon approaching that not only will affect people too, remember that human is composed with 70% water, and our brain is 90% water too. and the solar activity show us the difference between the nature power and ours...well we must learn that the earth don't belong to us, we belong to the earth, and there is an aboriginal prophecy about the axis of earth...I don't remember the name of the tribe (not the hopi but is in the E.E.U.U if I'm not wrong)...all these things is like those apocalyptic movies... :|
What does the moon have to do with us being 70% water?
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Ladez wrote:What does the moon have to do with us being 70% water?
Your body is affected by the moon's grvitational pull just like the tides. On the full moon there are more lunatic activities. :)
Ladez
Apprentice

Post by Ladez »

Randomizer wrote:
Ladez wrote:What does the moon have to do with us being 70% water?
Your body is affected by the moon's grvitational pull just like the tides. On the full moon there are more lunatic activities. :)

I realize that, but I very much doubt the moons gravitational pull will have a significant, or any effect at all, on the tiny amount of water in the human body.