COMPREHENSIVE Book III 'Wishlist' (List form)

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
sh4dow
Apprentice

Re: COMPREHENSIVE Book III 'Wishlist' (List form)

Post by sh4dow »

i am aware of that. but how does it make a difference whether it's official or not when the official one would do the same thing?
but since it's already a done thing anyway, i guess none of this matters anyway :)

but i remembered - i second the popular wish about the running. having played book II for almost 30 hours by now, i can confidently say: i love it but i won't play through it a second time. as much as i'd like to explore other characters, i can't get over the fact how much time is wasted walking around slowly. :/
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Ali Ahmad wrote:Superb Fantasy art that every single female is of the attractive young kind, with supermodel looks and a revealing outfit, simply awesome.
:P
If you guys want that, then we females have to have equal time with beefcake men in loin cloths and long wavey hair like Fabio. :roll: :lol:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Bob the Thief
Apprentice

Post by Bob the Thief »

Maybe this has been mentioned, but one should be able to forage by walking around looking for things. It could either by foraging for something specific (e.g. find mandrake) or just a general forage (with forage items tied to specific areas).

Foraging should also include items that may be dropped/lost by other entities (finding empty flasks, shot/lost arrows, etc.), and food/water items.

On the other side you can reduce/limit the characters ability to see/sense NPC's or monsters while foraging (character is concentrating on finding something specific, more likely to be attacked by surprise).

This makes more sense than sitting in one spot for awhile and taking pot luck.

Although not fighting, when foraging the character is not really resting. Foraging for some items might take some real effort (e.g. digging for mandrake root, hunting a raven).

Making foraging a specific task requires/allows the player to decide if it is something they want to do (if I already have 11 willow bark I'm not likely to look for more, but I might want to find some mercury). This could be made part of the existing forage logic.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

One glaring no for me would be a fatigue bar, unless its optional like thirst and hunger. Even though i dont shut off thirst and hunger, i would shut fatigue off as it seems to me it would force you to rest,which would force you to eat, etc....making it real life and not fantasy. I LIKE being a hero that can go forever without rest if he wants to. If i wanted real life, id go live it.......ok so maybe i cant live real life going around killing monsters, but i think you get the drift... lol.

It just seems to me that some people want to implement things that make it more "real" but im of the opposite side, where i want it as far from reality as i can get it. I understand putting some things in for difficulty sake, but realism just makes it ....well, too real. I personally think realism takes a fantasy game down a notch, depending on the game.

Just my .02 cents. There are tons of suggestions though that are just spot on for sure.

(ps, not picking on you for posting about fatigue, mostly just one of the ones that stared at me when i first read the list. I know these are all just personal opinions. )
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

blatherbeard wrote:One glaring no for me would be a fatigue bar, unless its optional like thirst and hunger. Even though i dont shut off thirst and hunger, i would shut fatigue off as it seems to me it would force you to rest,which would force you to eat, etc....
This suggestion is my baby, and I definitely intend it as a game option! ;)

I have no desire to force "Fatigue" on to other Eschalon players. But myself and several others have remarked that we would like this option. For me, I'd always want to play with the "Fatigue" option, as it would make esp. dungeon playing much more challenging if you had to "camp" at certain points in a dungeon playthrough rather than just "playing it all the way through" as you can now. :)
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

bratttn wrote:Magic:
1. A separate hotbar for spells
There's a variation of this already in the 'Wishlist', though a floating spells 'palette' might be a cool thing, if it's not too hard for BW to implement.
bratttn wrote:3. New spell for mages: blind leap - teleports the mage a few spaces away from the enemy (the quantity of spaces teleported is spell lvl dependant)
Ah, the "Blink" spell from Ultima! Yeah, I'll add this to the Wishlist. :)
bratttn wrote:4. A lot more spells for priest to roleplay darkpriest: curse, poison blood, summon skeleton, bonedart, feeblemind e.t.c.
I agree on Poison: the original Poison Spray spell from Book I was a Divination Spell - I'm not sure why it was changed to the Elemental Spell Toxic Element in Book II. But I agree - Divination should have its own(?) Poison spell.

I'm not sure I care for your other suggestions (though an Enfeeblement spell might be kind of cool...), outside of Summon [Undead] - if Mages can Summon Beasts, it seems like Divination Healers should have an equivalent spell.
bratttn wrote:7. Make is impossible to fully spec in both divination and elemental at the same time (quite possible atm).
I think BW's general philosophy is to not put arbitrary limitations on character design in Eschalon, and I agree with his philosophy on that...
bratttn wrote:8. Buffs last longer and start to blink when they are about to wear off so I could see if I should rebuff soon.
I think if you click on the Status Buttons of certain 'Buffs', they'll tell you how many turns remaining they have, so this is kind of already in there. However, a visual 'cue' from the Status Buttons, like a color change (maybe to Yellow?...) when they're, say 5 or 10 turns from expiring, would be a nice little player-friendly addition.
bratttn wrote:Armor:
1. Robes for mages
I'll add this to the Wishlist.
bratttn wrote:Rogue related:
2. BACKSTAB!!! (3x dmg from hidden in shadows attack)
I just discussed this subject in another post! - yeah, I definitely think something like this is needed, so it's been added to the Wishlist...
Re3st1mat3d
Initiate

Post by Re3st1mat3d »

I'll just link my post here and let you all rifle through it. :)
It's too late tonight for me to type out exactly what I want.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5154&p=41635#p41635

Enjoy (if you like reading a long page of word in a dull and boring fashion)
This is top Notch. hehe
Arasceliz
Pledge

Post by Arasceliz »

This game is wonderful, I bought the two games, and I have always liked old school RPGs.
There have been many very good suggestions (or petitions) for Book III, I like almost all of them and I know that it will be an awesome game.
I think I am arriving at this forum a bit late but here are my two cents(copper pieces?).
This has been addressed before so I am sorry if I am bringing it up again but I do agree that the main female character looks like a burly man with a ponytail, as someone else stated. And as a girl I feel a little weird about it. I mean, I like to immerse myself in the game but the character's model yanks me back to reality. And yes, not all old school RPGs have an option for choosing gender and I liked them too. But I have no problems with this when I know I am playing a male. And I play RPGs with male characters. But when I play a game with my gender I like the model to look the part. It's all about immersion.
There are many nice female models around the game including many of the alchemist shop owners and of course Hunter and Sparrow. I am pretty sure that one of those models would do nicely. I know those NPC models have limited animation sequences but it can be done with a bit of work and I pretty sure it's easier to do than one those engine changes that some people propose. And I am not talking about sexiness, I don't consider myself sexy in real life but I don't look like a butch either. :wink: It's the only thing I ask. The rest of the game is wonderful. :)
Thanks to the team of Basilisk Games for a work of art of a game.
jwrickert
Apprentice

Post by jwrickert »

Better organization of stored items. When you use or switch weapon sets, make the discarded items go back to the last place they were stored as long as that slot is still empty. Otherwise you end up looking for things (rings, amulets, hats, gloves etc.) all the time. If it's a problem to program, maybe just a single quick return of old items to their previous locations when you are awakened while camping.
Enterian
Apprentice

Post by Enterian »

What I would like to see in book III is next to having large open areas like in book II, also have a few highly detailed areas like South Parish in book I. I love the atmosphere in that region: part town, part nature, part abandoned area.
I know I'm probably asking for a ton of extra work but in case the developers have some extra spare time to kill it could be well worth the trouble :)
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

Ok, I got a couple of things I would like to see.

First how about class specific side quests. Not all quests but a couple that only can be completed by a specific class, or moral, or both. I mean the system already looks to see if you are virtious nefarious for healing and curses and the such, should not be too hard to switch dialog and loot based on the role you are currently playing.

Second, how about tweeking skill costs by class a bit. Probably too much for III but might work for later. What I mean is let's let Rogue get pick-locks, HiS, MS, etc. at a lower cost than the other classes, but let Fighter get melee, shield, and armor skills cheaper.

Third, how about fixing it to were you can't cast spells with a weapon in your hand or metal combersum gauntlets. After all most spell casting I have always seen has involved delicate hand gestures and some type of spell component. Kinda hard to wiggle your fingers in metal gauntlets or while holding a sword. At least while in combat have this work. After all it isn't too hard to think you put the sword in the scabbard while you cast outside of combat.

Fourth, I'd like to see more/different quest choices available in the main quest plot that allow you more freedom of choice and allow you to get to the end along different paths.

Fifth, I know I am gonna get slapped for this one, I haven't gotten to the end yet, just got back to this game 2 wks ago and been restarting a few times, not been happy with my builds, I have seen there are sci-fi like items effects at the end. Please don't go into the cross over from fantasy to sci-fi on this. While that is good to do from the start, or at the end of book I and from there, it would kinda spoil the game as a whole for me, personally. I am guessing if Thom's whole plot line for the 3 books has this as integeral to it then there is no hope of this and I will still play it as I want to support his work.

Sixth, Class specific items. Such as a sword only usable by a fighter, a metal staff only usable by a mage, a dagger usable only by a rogue, and an axe/bow only usable by a ranger. That gives specific bonuses to that classes skills/stats.

Seventh, how about some NPCs that come after you based on how you handle certain quests like happened in Book I. Remember if you didn't turn over the sword whatsHisName would pop up when you left town.

Eighth, how about some inns along the way between places? I mean after all in most med-evil times you had an inn spaced about 1 days ride from each other along the more traveled routes.

Ok, just a couple things that come to mind right off the top of my head. Might think of more later.
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Necromis wrote:Fifth, I know I am gonna get slapped for this one, I haven't gotten to the end yet, just got back to this game 2 wks ago and been restarting a few times, not been happy with my builds, I have seen there are sci-fi like items effects at the end. Please don't go into the cross over from fantasy to sci-fi on this.
This has been brought up quite a bit- it seems some people are really worked up with where Book III might be going. Let me toss out a favorite quote for all to think about, and how it might relate to the storyline:

Arthur C. Clark said:
Arthur C. Clark wrote:Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
That profound statement made us think...could this statement be true in reverse?
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
Necromis wrote:Fifth, I know I am gonna get slapped for this one, I haven't gotten to the end yet, just got back to this game 2 wks ago and been restarting a few times, not been happy with my builds, I have seen there are sci-fi like items effects at the end. Please don't go into the cross over from fantasy to sci-fi on this.
This has been brought up quite a bit- it seems some people are really worked up with where Book III might be going. Let me toss out a favorite quote for all to think about, and how it might relate to the storyline:

Arthur C. Clark said:
Arthur C. Clark wrote:Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
That profound statement made us think...could this statement be true in reverse?
As Agatha Hetrodyne says:

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science."
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20081205
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

The recent posts remind me that I need to post an updated version of the wishlist. And also start a new v1.05 'bugs' thread. Hopefully gets done soon. We'll see... :| :wink:
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

BW, don't want you to think I was bashing and I sure don't wanna bring up all those old topics. I was just adding my little piece on my wish list. I am sure even if it does cross over as great as you have been making these games so far it will be done seemlessly and make sense. That being said I do love that piece of reassurance you have noted above.
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.