Shouldn't Korren Know? [Spoilers]

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Re: Shouldn't Korren Know? [Spoilers]

Post by Necromis »

I think it goes back to rushing thru the plot details at the end after working so long on the game engine and mechanics. BW said he didn't get to put as much time into it as he wanted or was able to put into Book I.
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

1) It could be safely assumed that Korren has always known that bringing two Crux together would theoretically destroy them. His first comments to you are that he hoped to come up with a way to destroy the single Crux, presumably without resulting in anyone's death. However, he regrettably informs you, after your return, that he and Erubor determined that "joined Crux annihilation" is the only way to guarantee complete destruction.

From a story-telling point-of-view, we don't want to tell the player so early in the game that he might very well be on one long suicide mission.

2) Erubor is more eccentric than Korren. He is mystical and holds beliefs that may seem strange to the common man. Korren is more level headed and doesn't put a lot of faith in mystical things or superstitions. It is logical that Erubor believes the legends of the Orakur, and not Korren.

Of course, all of this is under the assumption that Korren is benevolent and is telling you the truth the whole time.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:1) It could be safely assumed that Korren has always known that bringing two Crux together would theoretically destroy them. His first comments to you are that he hoped to come up with a way to destroy the single Crux, presumably without resulting in anyone's death. However, he regrettably informs you, after your return, that he and Erubor determined that "joined Crux annihilation" is the only way to guarantee complete destruction.

From a story-telling point-of-view, we don't want to tell the player so early in the game that he might very well be on one long suicide mission.

2) Erubor is more eccentric than Korren. He is mystical and holds beliefs that may seem strange to the common man. Korren is more level headed and doesn't put a lot of faith in mystical things or superstitions. It is logical that Erubor believes the legends of the Orakur, and not Korren.

Of course, all of this is under the assumption that Korren is benevolent and is telling you the truth the whole time.
With posts like that, I don't see how Eschalon isn't more popular that it is...

But yeah - telling the player that he's going to kill himself at the end of the game wouldn't really make it worth playing.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests