A New Year, a new update!

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

A New Year, a new update!

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

On the cusp of 2012 is a great time to answer the question everyone keeps asking us: when is Book III coming out?!?

To answer this, let's go back to May 2010. Book II was released and we were kept busy with tech support, updates, and the Fathamurk add-on for several months. We finished 2010 with very little of Book III completed.

Real development on Book III in didn't begin until early 2011. One of the big differences with Book III's development over prior games is that we are working with more people this time. New artists are helping us to bring Book III to life more than any previous game (the Book III teaser image in March was just a glimpse of what we are working on). But working with people remotely slows things down- it's just the way it is when contributors must communicate via email and Skype. The quality of your game increases, but managing the whole project takes more time.

And while development of Book III is in full swing, continued sales of Book I & II are still extremely important to us as the ongoing revenue keeps the bills paid. It eats up quite a bit of our time promoting our games and working to get Eschalon as widely available as possible. Mac App Store, Desura and OnLive are three of our newest partners. Many of you may also remember our efforts earlier this year to get Humble Bundle to give us a spot. We are still trying to convince them that we'd be a great addition, so don't be afraid to send them an email to let them know you want to see us included in the next bundle. :D

Oh yes, and to top it off, during all of this we moved the studio a couple month ago to give us more room. This is still somewhat ongoing as we're awaiting some additional equipment and furniture. Growing the studio is ultimately a good thing, but it pretty much brought all development to a halt for several weeks.

What this all means is: YES, Book III is coming!! We really blew our development schedule in 2011, missing almost every deadline we set for ourselves. But 2012 will be a productive year for us, and we are working hard right now to get everything together to make the formal announcement. This requires a press release, logos and artwork, screenshots, and we need to be able to answer questions when requests for info and interviews come our way. We certainly think that a 2012 release for Book III is possible, but we can't make any promises to anyone right now.

Thanks to all our fans, new and old, for your ongoing support! Have a great New Year and keep an eye on our website, Twitter feed and Facebook page for more info.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: A New Year, a new update!

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

So now we can go from unofficial waiting to official waiting, right? :)

Warm wishes for a happy, and extremely productive, new year for all.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Quaan
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Quaan »

So glad to read all this! Looking forward to Book 3 more than ever.
I wish you a happy and successful new year.
And I am now officially waiting.(see above post)
GaryW
Initiate

Post by GaryW »

Great news! Really looking forward to book 3 :)
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Patience is not my best virtue, but I'm thrilled to see a target date!
getter77
Senior Steward

Post by getter77 »

Good deal. Given getting on with Desura, you might also give a shot to get in on their Indie Royale apparatus---that was the first of these bundle things I've yet to give a shot and was pleased at the results. Still need to try the Humble Bumble the next go round I suppose should their timing of it and funds in my wallet align...
http://www.roguetemple.com/forums/index.php?topic=395.0 What I'm trying to accomplish in life.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Nice... I'm always checking on the progress every once in a while. Can't wait until Book 3 comes rolling 'round!
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Let's just say that I'm looking forward to the eventual Book III "features" list (where I define "features" broadly to include even 'gameplay' elements like new monsters, and dungeons, and such) - I'm very curious to see what makes it in from the 'Wishlist' and what doesn't! :)
quasimodo
Marshall

Post by quasimodo »

I hope the use of new artists and continuing sales of EB1&2 are signs of a stable business model. The only kind of game I really like is the western style TB RPG and they are so rare these days that any studio developing them has my full support....for whatever that is worth.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

This wonderful to hear. I'm sure Santa's helper gift was put to good use. :D

..both of them. You did get the latest didn't you?
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

So what you're saying is that I may or may not get to play Book III before the end of the world on December 21st?

In all seriousness, take all the time you need to make Book III the triumphant climax to the trilogy that it deserves to be and thanks for the update.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
AnimeZer0
Pledge

Post by AnimeZer0 »

Happy new year!
Bought both games recently, hope it also helps the developers fundings.
Can't wait to get book III aswell :D
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Jedi_Learner wrote:If you're looking for someone to proof read your official announcement of Eschalon: Book III for free, you know who to ask. :wink:
I thought you would be offering to provide additional content. :)

I can't wait until Book 3 is here.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Jedi_Learner wrote:What sort of additional content?
You're the only guy who's done a Book I expansion... Additional content - Get it?! :wink:

(For instance, I'm sure you can supplement BW's official Book III announcement with some of those special 'smiley' animations that you seem to come up with!! :twisted: )
Last edited by IJBall on January 4th, 2012, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Something like The Isle of Tom
http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... =12&t=4933 but more of this way to the Crux vending machine.