Amalur

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Amalur

Post by Painted Lady »

Don't know if anyone else saw the glowing review of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning this morning. It was in the New York Times, and the critic just thought it was wonderful. Apparently it is the first game from a new studio funded by Curt Shilling (a retired baseball player).

It was originally supposed to be an online game, but reality set in and it wound up being a single player action RPG. The critic said it was pretty much the best he has ever seen.

It runs on Windows and apparently after 50 hours of play was rock solid. Has anyone tried it yet?
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: Amalur

Post by blatherbeard »

I have tried the demo and it was fun but it was old so there were bugs that are apparently fixed in the game.

Ive been waiting for it since RA Salvatore wrote it, Todd Mcfarlaine did the art and the lead director of Oblivion directed it.

What i played on the ps 3 was fun, even with bugs. On the PC it was meh. I couldnt remap controls or adjust the camera, which is supposed to be fixed as well in the actual game.

You can get the demo for the pc or ps3 for free.

You need an ea/origin account i think to play though. And if you play you get stuff to use in Mass Effect 3 when it comes out.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Post by llew silverhand »

I played the demo through last night, and rather enjoyed it - once the price drops, I will pick it up, either for my Xbox or PC.
Llew Silverhand - Once and Future Gnome King
Gene
Initiate

Post by Gene »

Just checked the demo out earlier today on Steam. I had fun with it, despite the demo supposedly being crazy buggy (I only saw one and it was a shader issue that didn't affect gameplay at all). Like llew silverhand, I don't think I'll be picking it up until the price has dropped, though.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

The demo was fun but I just can't afford this right now seeing as I just bought Resident Evil Revelations for my 3DS. I hope to get this game eventually though.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Gene wrote:Just checked the demo out earlier today on Steam. I had fun with it, despite the demo supposedly being crazy buggy (I only saw one and it was a shader issue that didn't affect gameplay at all). Like llew silverhand, I don't think I'll be picking it up until the price has dropped, though.

The bugs definitely werent on every playthrough but on the ps3 i had problems with text just flying through so fast you couldnt read the conversation and there was no voice after completing the starter quests. After that i dont think i had any major flaws.

On my pc it was basically unplayable for me as 1. keys were unmappable and when i play on a pc i refuse to use a controller and 2. they had a glitch on AMD cards apparently where you had to switch a few things off so you could even see the game.

Other than a few camera problems, that was all i experienced. And apparently ive been told that the camera still remains a bit of a problem and even though on their site the person who was solely resoponsible for the camera, said it would be adjustable in the real game, and its not.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
norolim
Initiate

Post by norolim »

I played the demo as well, and it convinced me not to buy the full version. The RPG elements, i.e. customisation and character development/skill trees are decent (with the latter similar to Diablo 2), but the combat...ugh...I'll just say I'm not a big fan of Mortal Kombat series. The characters in the demo were also rather lifeless and after having read the GameSpot review I know that the story isn't much better. As someone on some community forum wrote: "if you played the demo of Amalur, you played the game". Skipping and waiting for some genuine RPG's...like EB III.
The Harpo Marxist
Apprentice

Post by The Harpo Marxist »

Also worth noting, is that RA Salvatore didn't write the game itself - he created the mythology, but the dialogue and story are all someone else's work.