Crash to desktop (no traces)

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Crash to desktop (no traces)

Post by GSV3MiaC »

I've manged this twice now - last time what when my (Logitech) mouse popped up a message that the batteries needed changed .. although i was zig-zagging across zone boundary at the time so it may have been that. I c n't find any trace of debug output or error log file .. should there be something of help to developers someplace?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

There is no dump to report, sorry. We've had some issues with Logitech mice/mouses, so keep an eye out for the error again and let me know if you think the mouse software may have caused it.
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Post by GSV3MiaC »

Nope, just did it again crossing back North from Loneloft .. no mouse messages this time. Pity there is no dump, or even a call for my debugger to pick up on ..
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Do you have a saved game position that does it consistently? If so, please .zip it and send me the slot directory.
Wharyoo
Initiate

Post by Wharyoo »

It think it's not because some bug in the saved game, but because the bug of the save game folder... Sometimes the game "forget" the folder name on non-english windows and that causes a folder to be deleted, mostly slot1, and sometimes the tmp (rarely another slot, happend ones with slot10), where the game saves actual data for itself. If that happens, tha game crashes to desktop...
IMHO this could be also fixed with the user selected save game folder or using the game install folder too for saves.
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Post by GSV3MiaC »

No, it is not reproducible (except it seems to happen when crossing a map boundary, often in the middle of a fight). So it could be the load/save code (maybe something to do with saving the state of the monsters who are after me at the time?).

We are talking <1% of transitions though, maybe <5% of transitions where something(s) is on my tail.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Interesting. Well, we are seeing more reports of problems when creatures are near the map borders, specifically if they are fleeing and you chase them.

If you are seeing crashes when you are getting chased, that could be related. I will take a look at the overall code for creature movement near the border and see what I can come up with.