Poll: Requiring Food and Water in RPGs

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.

Requiring Food and Water in an RPG?

Food only
2%
Food and Water
57%
Neither...it's an unnecessary pain in the ass!
40%

Total votes: 89

Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

Some element of a survival skill or something akin to that, for foraging for food and water, would be good to have in if food and/or water requirements are brought in.
Even if it were something as small as hunting a deer or other animal for food, or having a "forage" option that adds a certain amount of food and water to your provisions. Results based on type of terrain and environment and perhaps helped or hindered by an appropriate stat score.
Having a survival skill would be ideal, but I'm not sure if the game is beyond adding content like that at this point.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Survival is a skill already in the game. It's a passive skill that allows the player to recover HP faster and neutralize poisons sooner because you can identify herbs and natural medicinals to aid you. You don't actually use the skill...and you don't have to manually search for herbs. The skill just gives you the healing bonuses, and the higher the skill, the better the bonuses.
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

Ah, that's good! So perhaps a system of needing food and water could be tied to the Survival skill? You use less rations depending on your skill level? Can find food and water?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
almondblight
Initiate

Post by almondblight »

Gallifrey wrote:An unbeatable opponent is an interesting idea. Unbeatable at least in combat, at any rate. Having an opponent that is utterly indefeatable on every level could be frustrating, but having an opponent that cannot be bested in combat is an idea I like.
This would force a player to look for other ways of overcoming the opponent (perhaps through wits, guile, underhandedness, persuasion, etc). If the character is combat-oriented, s/he'll just have to be humbled into admitting that there is someone out there better.
In my mind I was thinking something like a dragon who you try to rob from, and might fight with its pets, but you should probably run if it comes to attack. Or an ultra-powerful wizard you need to stop by taking out his men and sabatoging his experiments, but will almost certainly kill you if you try to take him out. Something that show's that you're not the most powerful creature in the world. Also something that more obsessive players will aspire to. No matter how hard something is, someone will find a way to beat it. Maybe throw them at the edges of the map and in the lowest levels of optional dungeons, but it'll flesh things out an spice things up a bit.
rapoport
Pledge

Post by rapoport »

voted for neither coz only games i played with food and water was lostlabyrinth and dungeon odyssey.And it was nothing more that annoying indicator who told me that i will die soon if i dont drink or eat.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

It's been great to see everyone's opinion on this matter! We've seen this poll swing both ways over the past few weeks. At this point we've still kept food/water requirements out of the game because it's still too close to call.

We'll keep the poll running for a little while longer and then we'll have to close it and make our final decision on whether or not to implement this into Book I. If you haven't voted yet, please do!
screeg
Marshall

Post by screeg »

How does one vote in a poll? I don't know if I'm just dense, or if the option never comes up. I'm logged in.
Cyclopean - an HP Lovecraft inspired Role-Playing Game
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Hmm...you should see the vote options at the very start of the thread, on page one where I started the topic. The poll should still be open.
Sanctus
Marshall

Post by Sanctus »

curently is 20 vs 19 for both food and water so u'l have to implement them :twisted: :twisted:
May the sky never fall on your head
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

When it's that close, it's probably not a good idea to implement such things. While those of us who want a food and water system will play the game without one, there's a good chance that many of those who do not want such a system will avoid the game should the food and water requirements be included.
When it's nearly a 50/50 split, it doesn't make sense to lose half your potential buying audience to satisfy the half that will buy the game regardless.
dteowner

Post by dteowner »

Gallifrey wrote:When it's that close, it's probably not a good idea to implement such things. While those of us who want a food and water system will play the game without one, there's a good chance that many of those who do not want such a system will avoid the game should the food and water requirements be included.
When it's nearly a 50/50 split, it doesn't make sense to lose half your potential buying audience to satisfy the half that will buy the game regardless.
Well said and quite correct.
screeg
Marshall

Post by screeg »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Hmm...you should see the vote options at the very start of the thread, on page one where I started the topic. The poll should still be open.
The first page just shows the results, no link to voting. I vote Neither in any case.
Cyclopean - an HP Lovecraft inspired Role-Playing Game
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Yeah, if you've already voted, the vote options will no longer be available to you. But for new members or people who haven't voted yet there should be vote options right at the start of the thread.
Sanctus
Marshall

Post by Sanctus »

yeah probably good ideea but i think there should be a option (realistic?) witch will set food and water on.
May the sky never fall on your head
myriac
Initiate

I have an idea pls just look at..

Post by myriac »

Food and water must not be consumed anytime in the game
such as while in combat, while in travelling, walking etc.. Those rations automatically must be reduced by the game sytem itself while in resting, i mean only resting situation must be tied to the rations in an appropriate way and their reducing proportion may depend on resting time, under a skill or something else.
So the game will be with rations but will not be dependent to foods and drinks as a goal like those encumber, level, experience, mana bars and especially for increasing health of the character.
Compulsion of finding food and drinks for only resting will be more enjoyable according to my opinion.
Personally i'd really enjoy this system in the game if it were happened and wanted to share with you.

Thank you all.