Baldur's Gate and DnD

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Arkos
Council Member

Re: Baldur's Gate and DnD

Post by Arkos »

leshpar wrote:I'd love to find me a DnD 2nd edition group to play with. Unfortunately noone I know around here plays. I mean, I live in a large city, I am sure they exist, but how I can find them is beyond me. I've tried messaging several people from various "meet up" sites I've found regarding this, but none have responded.
Yeah, I gave up a long time ago on finding people in real life, and have moved all of my gaming to the internet. It's just way too hard to find people to play with, especially if it's an out-of-print edition, like 2E.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Arkos wrote:
leshpar wrote:I'd love to find me a DnD 2nd edition group to play with. Unfortunately noone I know around here plays. I mean, I live in a large city, I am sure they exist, but how I can find them is beyond me. I've tried messaging several people from various "meet up" sites I've found regarding this, but none have responded.
Yeah, I gave up a long time ago on finding people in real life, and have moved all of my gaming to the internet. It's just way too hard to find people to play with, especially if it's an out-of-print edition, like 2E.
My health prohibits me from 'table gaming' so I use the internet to run my game built in my own world of 'Knumythia' . It's a varient 1st/2nd ed. game I run on Rpol dot net. Been there since 2004. Before that ran games via email and before that on a BBS local to my town. Heh, Before that I actually tabled gamed. My DMing in my world has been going since 1989. Even two of my original players are with me still. Now that is dedication! :) Not to mention patients with my being ill off and on. :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Dragonlady wrote: My health prohibits me from 'table gaming' so I use the internet to run my game built in my own world of 'Knumythia' . It's a varient 1st/2nd ed. game I run on Rpol dot net.
Arkos and Leshpar aren't the only ones on this forum who would love to join a private role-playing group. Thank you so much for the tip about Rpol - I'm going to check it out today.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Painted Lady wrote:
Dragonlady wrote: My health prohibits me from 'table gaming' so I use the internet to run my game built in my own world of 'Knumythia' . It's a varient 1st/2nd ed. game I run on Rpol dot net.
Arkos and Leshpar aren't the only ones on this forum who would love to join a private role-playing group. Thank you so much for the tip about Rpol - I'm going to check it out today.
Your welcome. You can check out my game here: http://rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=7901&date=1367023094

Ignore the way to roll up a character. That was for 1st level character way back in 2004. Players are around 5/5 or 6th level now. :)
I put up the 'notice:' story area so everyone could see my style and read what's been going on for years real time and only several months game time in a capitol city. :)

ps: if you read the chapters and other stuff let me know what you think of it. email or here somewhere. :)
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

is that the starting levels, or average levels? How high of level do you normally go before you retire your characters and start off anew, so to speak? It has been forever since I did anything like that, too. Used to get together every friday night for one game, and saturday for another. Heck my weekends were really nerded up with gaming for many years. LOL
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Necromis wrote:is that the starting levels, or average levels? How high of level do you normally go before you retire your characters and start off anew, so to speak? It has been forever since I did anything like that, too. Used to get together every friday night for one game, and saturday for another. Heck my weekends were really nerded up with gaming for many years. LOL
I have no limit on levels, since the currant game is the highest my players ever got in an adventure. Long ago I used to have games/adventures that were new (level 1) at the start of each one. Only one time did they carry over to another.

When I said the players were at 5/5 & 6th levels I made a booboo. They are 6/6 and high 7th. They started out level 1. Anyone who joins up now will be at their level or very close to it.

There is a bard/thief, Bard/Illusionist, Cleric, Shadowwalker (mage/thief), 2 Holy Warriors (fighter/clerics - sort of paladins but not.) The Shadowwalker is an NPC to keep enough bodies to keep them alive (he's supposed to be taking care of the house). The fighter/Mage had to drop out. I really didn't want to put that npc in. The group is human, halfelf and elf. They have a house (just recently had enough $ to buy it instead of rent) in a human city that used to be Celtic in origin and taken over by Roman type country. There are a few shapechanged dragons running around the countryside and city. :)

*edit: oops forgot the dwarf! He's a fighter/thief. 2 players are running two character each as people dropped out over the past years and party wanted to keep them.
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

It sounds awesome. Just curious when you do these games, do you have set times you login and play, or do you post during the week? I just have never played an online game for PnP like this. It has me more than curious to know more and possibly have an option to restart one of my favorite past times. :)
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Necromis wrote:It sounds awesome. Just curious when you do these games, do you have set times you login and play, or do you post during the week? I just have never played an online game for PnP like this. It has me more than curious to know more and possibly have an option to restart one of my favorite past times. :)
I check in at least 2 times a day, and wait for everyone to post something. I gather them up and add 'what happens next' situation and wait for the others to post again. For a while everyone was posting at least once a day, then it stretched to several times a week, now I'm lucky to have posts once a week. Players lives have gotten complicated and RL takes first place to gaming. But, I'm holding on. After all they had to put up with my being in hospital for 5 months one year so I can wait for them. I did have 8 people and things went fairly fast but down to 4 now.
We need new blood, it might inspire the 'oldies' to get a move on. :)

Players post anytime they have time for. No set times. Not 'live'. Especially since everyone is spread out across the USA. Don't have anyone from across either ocean. :D
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

Ok, I think I am in....if you are willing to have an old player with *new blood* jump in the fray. Who all else here is thinking about jumping on board with our lovely Dragonlady? I will be honest, though, I don't have ANY of the books any more so I might be a wee bit rusty.

From looking at your character list, it looks like you are good on melee, healing, and sneaks, but are missing magic. How have you treated psionics? What races do you prefer or allow, or exclude?

I am wondering if we should open a new thread about your game sorta like they did for the MineCraft Server? I have sooooo many questions. :::happy dance::: :?: :?: :?:
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Necromis wrote:Ok, I think I am in....if you are willing to have an old player with *new blood* jump in the fray. Who all else here is thinking about jumping on board with our lovely Dragonlady? I will be honest, though, I don't have ANY of the books any more so I might be a wee bit rusty.

From looking at your character list, it looks like you are good on melee, healing, and sneaks, but are missing magic. How have you treated psionics? What races do you prefer or allow, or exclude?

I am wondering if we should open a new thread about your game sorta like they did for the MineCraft Server? I have sooooo many questions. :::happy dance::: :?: :?: :?:
Goodie, rubs hands with evil grin. :) Not having books is fine. We can work stuff out. I think we should continue in private message though. don't want to take up BW's bandwidth?? Since anyone who wants to follow the chapters can by going to Rpol and my game area.

As for questions you have now, I'll answer them here. Races in the city that are accepted are: human, halfelf, elf, dwarf, halfling and gnomes. Other races can be found but not many, halforcs are used for manual labor, gladiators, etc. Slaves can be all kinds of races. I don't believe in level limits for races by the way. Religions are the basic ones though the city has Celtic and Roman in predomience at the moment. There's Greek, humanoid, Sumerian, Egyptian and others.

No psi stuff. I never got to experience it in table games and didn't like the rules in 1st/2nd editions.
Arkos
Council Member

Post by Arkos »

My health prohibits me from 'table gaming' so I use the internet to run my game built in my own world of 'Knumythia' . It's a varient 1st/2nd ed. game I run on Rpol dot net. Been there since 2004. Before that ran games via email and before that on a BBS local to my town. Heh, Before that I actually tabled gamed. My DMing in my world has been going since 1989. Even two of my original players are with me still. Now that is dedication! :) Not to mention patients with my being ill off and on. :)
Similar case here. I switched to play-by-post gaming a couple of years back, but not for health reasons. More because it was just impossible to schedule a game online where everyone could meet. I have a number of players overseas--a Brit, a German and most recently, an Australian. So pbp is the only way to go unless I want to schedule games for 4 in the morning.

I don't use rpol, but I have played there before once or twice. I have two games going at the moment, both 2E. One is a Dragonlance game that has been running since Nov 2010 (the party is closing in on 6th level) and the other a homebrew game that has been running since June of 2012 (the party is around 2nd/3rd level). I've actually been DMing for much longer than that, though; I started back around 2000 or so, and have been consistently running at least one game ever since then.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Arkos wrote:
Similar case here. I switched to play-by-post gaming a couple of years back, but not for health reasons. More because it was just impossible to schedule a game online where everyone could meet. I have a number of players overseas--a Brit, a German and most recently, an Australian. So pbp is the only way to go unless I want to schedule games for 4 in the morning.

I don't use rpol, but I have played there before once or twice. I have two games going at the moment, both 2E. One is a Dragonlance game that has been running since Nov 2010 (the party is closing in on 6th level) and the other a homebrew game that has been running since June of 2012 (the party is around 2nd/3rd level). I've actually been DMing for much longer than that, though; I started back around 2000 or so, and have been consistently running at least one game ever since then.
Cool! Never been in a Dragonlance game..no, wait. I was in one that lasted about 1000+ experience pts and then folded. :) Have played in Forgotten Realms type games, but again those didn't last more than a real year. Almost got kicked out of one them as other players didn't like the way I played a cleric halfling. All guys from military except me. :D Homebrew? Does that mean different rules than AD&D? How does that go? Made up world?
Arkos
Council Member

Post by Arkos »

I've actually run three Dragonlance games now. One ended in a TPK (I just couldn't stop rolling 20s, over and over again!) and the other died from lack of interest. Of all the published settings, Dragonlance is the one I'm most familiar with. I know a little about Forgotten Realms, Planescape and Spelljammer. I know very little about Greyhawk. I know almost nothing at all about any other published settings, like Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Birthright and so on.

By homebrew, I meant the setting. It's a world I made up, as opposed to a published setting like Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, and so forth. For the most part, I stick pretty close to the core rules. Although there are some exceptions, like I don't use level limits and race/class restrictions (thus a gnome can be a ranger or a dwarf could be a paladin, for instance).
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Arkos wrote:I've actually run three Dragonlance games now. One ended in a TPK (I just couldn't stop rolling 20s, over and over again!) and the other died from lack of interest. Of all the published settings, Dragonlance is the one I'm most familiar with. I know a little about Forgotten Realms, Planescape and Spelljammer. I know very little about Greyhawk. I know almost nothing at all about any other published settings, like Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Birthright and so on.

By homebrew, I meant the setting. It's a world I made up, as opposed to a published setting like Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, and so forth. For the most part, I stick pretty close to the core rules. Although there are some exceptions, like I don't use level limits and race/class restrictions (thus a gnome can be a ranger or a dwarf could be a paladin, for instance).
Oh, okay. My game is homebrew too then. :) I've been working off and on since the mid 1980's creating sections and areas as I dm'd games, starting with my teenage (then) son and his pals in our backyard during the summer.(he's now 42!) Most of the adventures were on one continent in the northern hemisphere but my latest is in the southern hemisphere on the east coast. I get to confuse them by saying the jungles are north and cold areas to the south. :lol: