RPGs that influenced me the most...

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Gwendo
Apprentice

Post by Gwendo »

- Ultima VII: Back Gate
- Shining Force 2 (MegaDrive/Genesis) [I know it's not a CRPG, but it made me fall in love for turn-based RPGs]
- Daggerfall
- Fallout
PaSquall
Steward

Post by PaSquall »

Gwendo wrote:- Ultima VII: Back Gate
- Shining Force 2 (MegaDrive/Genesis) [I know it's not a CRPG, but it made me fall in love for turn-based RPGs]
- Daggerfall
- Fallout
ConsoleRPG :wink:
Grumolch
Initiate

What got me hooked

Post by Grumolch »

I guess Eamon was the first RPG I've ever played, right around the time I got the original Bards Tale floppy discs. I think I still have the box and game for Bard's Tale, in fact.

I started playing D&D after that. Still have all the box sets, and of course, all the hardbacks from AD&D and 2nd addition (though I've fallen away from D&D since the new stuff came out). I began reading, as someone previously mentioned, the Salvatore books. I played Menzoberranzan as well, and felt the same joy when Drizzt appeared. I even named my dog Zaknafein.

These types of games are what hooked my on the genre. Since then, I've enjoyed the Baldur's Gate series, Neverwinter Nights, Planescape: Torment, and Wizardy 8, to name a few.

Funny that I created my sig before reading this forum, though. Mandate of Heaven has/had so many aspects that I think are awesome in a PC game. Unlimited Levels! Challenging creatures, even at the higher levels, a plethora of great (and fashionable) gear and weapons. It was customizably turn-based (you could even play it real-time. Nice feature always!), it had a great map overlay, an extensive spell repitoir, and did I meantion UNLIMITIED LEVELS?! I always was a power junkie. Even the story-line was not too shabby, and it was non-linear as well. And pretty massive for its age. Clearly my favorite game of all-time.

But now I'm just spouting. Yeah..I'd say Bard's Tale and the Eamon games got me hooked. One game that deserves mention is "Lensmoor", which I've been playing for over a decade and still do on occassion. It's a free, text MUD with a strong emphasis on RPing. And it's huge, though sadly, the player-base has taken a hit since the coming of high graphic RPGs. It's still alive and well, however, with an excellent cast of characters, for those of you who enjoy rping with real people.

Gary
Still on my endless quest to find an RPG game better than Might and Magic: Mandate of Heaven.
-If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?-
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Re: What got me hooked

Post by Saxon1974 »

Grumolch wrote:I guess Eamon was the first RPG I've ever played, right around the time I got the original Bards Tale floppy discs. I think I still have the box and game for Bard's Tale, in fact.

I started playing D&D after that. Still have all the box sets, and of course, all the hardbacks from AD&D and 2nd addition (though I've fallen away from D&D since the new stuff came out). I began reading, as someone previously mentioned, the Salvatore books. I played Menzoberranzan as well, and felt the same joy when Drizzt appeared. I even named my dog Zaknafein.

These types of games are what hooked my on the genre. Since then, I've enjoyed the Baldur's Gate series, Neverwinter Nights, Planescape: Torment, and Wizardy 8, to name a few.

Funny that I created my sig before reading this forum, though. Mandate of Heaven has/had so many aspects that I think are awesome in a PC game. Unlimited Levels! Challenging creatures, even at the higher levels, a plethora of great (and fashionable) gear and weapons. It was customizably turn-based (you could even play it real-time. Nice feature always!), it had a great map overlay, an extensive spell repitoir, and did I meantion UNLIMITIED LEVELS?! I always was a power junkie. Even the story-line was not too shabby, and it was non-linear as well. And pretty massive for its age. Clearly my favorite game of all-time.

But now I'm just spouting. Yeah..I'd say Bard's Tale and the Eamon games got me hooked. One game that deserves mention is "Lensmoor", which I've been playing for over a decade and still do on occassion. It's a free, text MUD with a strong emphasis on RPing. And it's huge, though sadly, the player-base has taken a hit since the coming of high graphic RPGs. It's still alive and well, however, with an excellent cast of characters, for those of you who enjoy rping with real people.

Gary
As a long time Might and Magic fan I was pretty dissapointed with MM VI. I didnt care for the generic go kill everything quests, weak NPC interaction or the bad enemy AI. I didnt really like the look and feel of the world either.

That being said, I am a huge fan of MM 1 - V.

How does MM VII and MM III compare to MM VI? I have never played either of those 2 because I figured they would be alot like VI.
Grumolch
Initiate

comparing to others of series

Post by Grumolch »

I think the last one I played was IX, which was dissappointing to me. I don't think I could ever get 1-5 to load or run on my pcs. Now that I've taken some classes, maybe I could get them to run.

Perhaps I'll go back through the series again and give them all a fresh look. I guess I enjoyed the combat system in Mandate, because one of my favorite aspects was unlimited levels, which requires many critters to kill. It's been a few years since I've played it last. I do recall that the creatures respawned after a time, and that can get monotonous for some. But you could always just 'fly' past them. I forgot to mention that was the first game I've played where you could actually fly across the zones (and fall!) Jumping was pretty cool, too.

It wasn't the 'perfect' game. I fear that one is only in my head :twisted: . But it had many aspects that make a great game, in my opinion. So many games these days have one or two 'cool' aspects, but lack so sorely in others. This had many of my favorites.

I don't recall what it was about IX that turned me off. I just recall thinking 'this just doesn't compare'.
Still on my endless quest to find an RPG game better than Might and Magic: Mandate of Heaven.
-If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?-
Spaceman Spiff
Apprentice

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RPGs that influenced me the most... hmmm....

Off the top of my head:

Temple of Asphai
Dungeon Master
Dragon Quest
Ultima 2 - 6
The Magic Candle
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate
Wasteland
Fallout
Fallout 2
-Spaceman Spiff
Quaan
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Quaan »

Talking about influence there are two games for me
1.Duke Nukem 3D was after Quake the 2nd computergame i played and
during that time i started constantly checking for ventilationshafts to crawl
into like in the game.
2.Gothic where i almost bought grapes in a supermarket cause i needed
some for a quest in that game.
Lucky for me these were the only ones with that kind of influence.
Serpent's Sister
Initiate

Post by Serpent's Sister »

Quaan that is so funny :-) I totally know what you mean only it usually happens to me reading really good books - I'm like no that didn't actually happen to me that was in the book, I totally lose myself.
Is there a relationship between worm and spice?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Ha! That is funny, but check this out: I am always looking for an undo button for everyday mishaps. This last week I was handwriting a check and I messed up, and the first thing I thought was "Oops...gotta undo" and then I realize I can't undo real life. It's such a drag! :lol:
Quaan
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Quaan »

Well I guess every gamer wants to save/load life once in a while.
And undo would come in handy more than often.
zer
Initiate

Post by zer »

Wizardry 7
Betrayal at Krondor
Darklands
Ultima VII
Realms of Arkania II: Star Trail
Daggerfall
Quaan
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Quaan »

I have to add Eschalon Book 1because with all that water dripping
sounds in the first dungeon my toilet break frequency went up significantly.
BehindTimes
Initiate

Post by BehindTimes »

Ultima VII (Well, most of the series. I think I am the only living person who actually like 8, but VII is definately the high point imho for CRPGs).
Betrayal at Krondor
Magic Candle
Wizardy VII
Divine Divinity
Bards Tale
Magic Candle
Lands of Lore
Times of Lore
Kyote
Apprentice

Post by Kyote »

It seems I found the Candy shop for Gamer/readers... YUMMY! I haven't thought of soem of these titles is Decades! Also it looks like some I never heard/tried... google and emulation here I come!

Ultima (first half dozen of them I think it was...)

I started with Ultima then was hooked, period. When I tire of Eschalon I will be coming back here to find something to hold me over until book 2 comes out!
Kyote
macmert
Apprentice

Post by macmert »

Baldur's Gate of course...

The game was awesome and not only a great story line but the NPCs were incredible... I mean who wouldnt fall in love with Aerie??? (None??? Only me??? ehehe) Or who wouldnt love to travel with Minsc and Boo (Hamsters and Rangers everywhere!! Rejoice!!!) or watch Keldorn and Jaheria argue about good and evil... Or fighting side by side with the famous Drizzt Do'Urden!!! Oh boy gotta install and play it for the 6th time!!!

And also I would count as jagged alliance 2 as a great rpg/action game... The classic game of Sirtech... :D