Q&A - Ask a question, Get an answer

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Lord Battlefield
Pledge

Post by Lord Battlefield »

Hello and thank you for developing such a promissing game!

I would like to ask if there will be any professions like crafting, blacksmithing, enchanting etc. Something to work on in the game.
almondblight
Initiate

Post by almondblight »

BasiliskWrangler wrote: 3) Level 100 is the cap, but there's no way you'll reach that in Book I. That's way out there.
Any creatures hidden around in Book I that we're not supposed to be able to defeat? IE, some demons hidden in the deepest depths of dungeons that will probably kill us off the bat in Book 1 (except for the players that really want the challenge) but that we'll be able to defeat by Book 3.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

There are ways to enhance armor and weapons, by either using magick (enchaning) or alchemy (applying mixures to weapons and armor making them stronger, poisoned, etc.). So in this way, you can craft new items. In fact, some items will only exist in the game world through this type of crafting...you would not find them naturally on your own.

Blacksmithing is not a skill on it's own, and as such you can't actually make items from scratch using raw materials. That's really more of an MMORPG type of feature...but I could see how it might be cool in a single player RPG...
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:There are ways to enhance armor and weapons, by either using magick (enchaning) or alchemy (applying mixures to weapons and armor making them stronger, poisoned, etc.). So in this way, you can craft new items. In fact, some items will only exist in the game world through this type of crafting...you would not find them naturally on your own.
Now that sounds good. Thing is, will there be a cap for how much you can enhance? Limited by the ingredients you can find/buy, by how high a level magic user you are, by object can absorb only so much before blowing up? :lol:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

It depends on several factors, but yes, it is possible to apply different mixtures to give combinations of effects/enhancements to your items. Generally though one mixture provides one enhancement, and that one mixture does not have an accumulative effect if you apply it multiple times. [edit] Some mixutures do require a higher Alchemy skill to use as well, so there will be work for the player to do in order to find rare components and raise their Alchemy skill to the required levels needed for mixing these advanced potions.

Yes, "blowing things up" is a common problem with novice Alchemists. Some mixtures don't work well with others.
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

That all sounds fantastic.

*begins planning his alchemist thief*

Which actually leads me to ask... Within the character creation and development system, how much room do we have to branch out in character design? Are we able to make a somewhat varied in ability character, or does the system really require us to pick a single focus? For example, is it possible to have a well-rounded thief skilled in alchemy as well, or would I have to essentially stick to the thief skills in order to have an effective rogue?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

It will be tempting to specialize in lots of different skills, but just remember: the more spread out your skills are, the longer it will take to increase them all. But, yes, an Alchemist Thief would be a kick-ass character to work on. :wink: If you're good at micromanaging your character's skills, you should have no problem making that combination work.
Sanctus
Marshall

Post by Sanctus »

Will we be able to make potions out of stuff(trough alchemy)?
May the sky never fall on your head
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Yes. (Screenshot from the RPGVault interview)
xander_hal
Pledge

transferable character

Post by xander_hal »

Sorry if this question has already been asked. I'm getting the idea that the storyline from Books 1-3 will go together to make a complete story. I know in RPG's of old a series of games was also made complete by transferring your character from the first game all the way until the end. Will this be possible in Eschalon?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Yep, that is the plan!
gragnak
Senior Steward

Post by gragnak »

If the character can be imported from Bokk I to Book III,
- the level cap will"grow" in every game (Book I: max lvl= 100, Book II: max lvl= 200, Book III= max lvl=300)?
- will it be possible to upgrade our favorite weapons/artifacts with new reagents and improved alchemy skill or we'll be forced to discard old equipment to create new one?
- item enchanting is definitive or can we change enchantments on the same item (sorry if this question was asked before)?
- I'd like to see a change in the race/appearence of my character in Book II - III. Something like draconic blood in you veins (an ancient heritage awaken) = wings and tails. Do you think this could be a good innovation?
As your character grows in power, changes also his body and appearence.

Just an idea.
furor vincit omnia
Sanctus
Marshall

Post by Sanctus »

Good questions
I would like to know the answears to those to :D
May the sky never fall on your head
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

There has never been a proposed level cap, but technically level 100 is as high as we currently track progression within the ruleset. There's no reason that we couldn’t take that higher if we wanted/needed to.

Based on the exponential curve that experience points and character level sits on, it will be extremely challenging to hit the 100th level mark. Level 100 nears God-like abilities and I doubt even over 3 separate games you would quite reach it. :) Since end-game content is still being added we don't quite know yet what level you will finish Book I at.

We will be doing our best to make character transfers as smooth as possible between games, but it's really too early to make any promises right now. We'll be talking more about this when Book I is in your hands and Book II is being created. Thanks for your suggestions, BTW!
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

Personally, I don't see the need for high levels. It's like those Japanese RPGs, where people have 1436465948 hit points and attack for 34643 points of damage and hit levels like 10000. It's utter overkill and makes no sense other than to feed some (Freudian?) desire for big numbers.
I'd rather see something more pared down and "realistic" in play.

As for a character changing physically in appearance due to some other racial blood... Please no ;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!